Fell down plane stairs at Edinburgh

Old Aug 20, 18, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Fell down plane stairs at Edinburgh

So yesterday my girlfriend was flying LCY-EDI for the festival. Upon arrival at EDI she proceeded to exit the plane. She had only a small backpack with a book headphones and jacket in, which was on her back. Her main suitcase was checked in (even though cabin size).

She insists she was holding the handrail but halfway down the steps she fell, and slid down all the way to the bottom. The airport guy at the bottom was really rude to her and just said "yeah slippy when wet".. he didn't enquire to her wellbeing, but hey ho.

The main problem is her phone which was in her back jean shorts pocket, is completely broke. Bent in half.

She went to the airport arrivals desk and the staff there were all very sympathetic and caring and made sure medically she was ok. They took photos of the phone and said they would pass details of the incident on to BA.

What are the chances of anyone (BA/Airport) replacing the phone?

We have joint annual travel insurance too not sure if this would help...

Thanks
Old Aug 20, 18, 4:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
How is this BA's fault?
pitflyer, SK, David_Doyle and 31 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 18, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
I would in the first instance refer this to insurance if you have; phone insurance or travel insurance.

I don't think you'll get any admission / responsibility taking from anyone you approach
Old Aug 20, 18, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Canít see this is the airline or airport. Insurance matter no?
Old Aug 20, 18, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
How is this BA's fault?
What a juvenile response.

Never mind customer care, proper H&S procedures donít appear to have been followed in terms of completing an accident log for one.

But in answer to your question, one answer might be that BA chose to outsource the ground handling but canít outsource the responsibility.
Old Aug 20, 18, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Zero chance. And I say that with some empathy. A few years ago, I broke my elbow slipping on a patch of ice on the bridge to my BA plane at LHR. Crew in charge was absolutely horrible too.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 20, 18, 4:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Ooooh dear. I can see how this happened. The steps at EDI - or some of them at least - are slightly awkward, with longer tread plane (horizontal section) and shallower "rise" plane (vertical) than perhaps one would expect. There is a bit of a nosing too, the bit which projects over on the tread. It's just a bit awkward, particularly if they are wet and it's a bit breezy, good shoes will help though. I haven't seen anyone fall down the stairs at EDI, though I have at LCY (and it was another FTer, though I didn't know it at the time). If nothing else I hope your tale will be a good reminder to all of us to take extra care on these things, accidents on stairs are one of the most avoidable accidents in life.

I don't think BA will help much here, it was just an accident. It's good you have insurance, I guess that this sort of unexpected incident is what it is for. The fact that the ground handler wasn't overly sympathetic isn't great, but they are a fairly robust bunch on the apron at EDI.

I think it is worth asking the airport or BA (it's actually Menzies in charge of ground operations there) to review these steps. I suspect the airport would be a better entry point, they have a very active Twitter account so worth a DM perhaps. I wonder if some better surface material on the tread would help. For someone in poor health this sort of accident could be lethal.
Old Aug 20, 18, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
I know a Scottish personal injury lawyer. I can PM you his details if you want!
Old Aug 20, 18, 4:56 am

Sorry to hear this, but unless you or your girlfriend have some evidence (photos, witnesses etc) that the airline and/or airport were negligent then chances are close to zero and I probably wouldn't waste your time. They will both deny liability and then you take your chances with legal action. The report you are referring to is most likely an 'accident book' type of thing to cover statutory requirements.

Travel insurance is the best way forward here.
Old Aug 20, 18, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Zero chance. And I say that with some empathy. A few years ago, I broke my elbow slipping on a patch of ice on the bridge to my BA plane at LHR. Crew in charge was absolutely horrible too.
On an airbridge? I'm slightly amazed you wouldn't receive some compensation for that in the modern compensation culture, not to drift too far off topic but that seems quite clear but, you wouldn't really expect ice in what it broadly an indoor space. If you are not inclined to pursue such claims then fair play to you but I'd be amazed if there wasn't some liability there.

As to the OP, I think there's nothing which is reasonable anybodies fault about it, accidents happen and people do slip on stairs sometimes, from recollection of arrival procedures at EDI and what you've described I don't think they could reasonably do much to prevent such things happening once in a while. I think your best bet would be your travel insurance but you may find out how good your travel insurance really is when you make that claim.
Old Aug 20, 18, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered her a replacement phone for £130 to give her upon her arrival back in London. So has bought a cheap £8 one to use during her trip. I am not even going to bother with the travel insurance as the excess probably makes it not worth the hassle. I guess she should wait to hear from the Airport/Airline as they said they would get in touch.

Good point CWS with the steps, and ill suggest she tweets them with the details asking for the steps to be reviewed. She has twitter thankfully, I do not !
Old Aug 20, 18, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by apollo00 View Post
On an airbridge? I'm slightly amazed you wouldn't receive some compensation for that in the modern compensation culture, not to drift too far off topic but that seems quite clear but, you wouldn't really expect ice in what it broadly an indoor space. If you are not inclined to pursue such claims then fair play to you but I'd be amazed if there wasn't some liability there.
Yes it was quite bad. I did write to BA to complain (was not GGL at the time) and the answer was pretty much "tough!". I was not asking for compensation but none was offered either. Spent 6 weeks with a sling. It was during a very cold spell in London, and indeed the flight was already badly delayed. I slipped close to the entrance to the plane. I suspect someone spilled some water and that part can get very exposed to the outside. The worst was the crew member in charge who was telling me off for taking some time putting my suitcase in the overhead. One other passenger was very nice and told her off for not even asking if I was all right as she had witnessed the fall directly. I was in massive pain but having never broken anything before, I did not realise it was a double fracture. I went to bed and it's only the next morning after a sleepless night and the pain not showing any sign of alleviating that I went to the hospital for an x-ray. Doctor was amazed I had "lasted" 24 hours before the x-ray.
Old Aug 20, 18, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Yes it was quite bad. I did write to BA to complain (was not GGL at the time) and the answer was pretty much "tough!". I was not asking for compensation but none was offered either. Spent 6 weeks with a sling. It was during a very cold spell in London, and indeed the flight was already badly delayed. I slipped close to the entrance to the plane. I suspect someone spilled some water and that part can get very exposed to the outside. The worst was the crew member in charge who was telling me off for taking some time putting my suitcase in the overhead. One other passenger was very nice and told her off for not even asking if I was all right as she had witnessed the fall directly. I was in massive pain but having never broken anything before, I did not realise it was a double fracture. I went to bed and it's only the next morning after a sleepless night and the pain not showing any sign of alleviating that I went to the hospital for an x-ray. Doctor was amazed I had "lasted" 24 hours before the x-ray.
That makes my girlfriends accident seem insignificant ! I am amazed by the lack of care from staff.
Old Aug 20, 18, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
I know a Scottish personal injury lawyer. I can PM you his details if you want!
How would that help with a broken mobile? What people are missing here is that the OP's GF reported a broken phone, not a broken bone, so quite easy to see why BA would deal with the phone not the bone .
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Aug 20, 18, 5:41 am

It is an unfortunate incident, and most importnatly thankfully your girlfriend has not been injured ^

Overall, a broken mobile is best to claim via insurance or just self-replace (they are kind of a consumable item nowadays anyway).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: