Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Probable A380 Program Termination This Week - No last minute BA Order

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Probable A380 Program Termination This Week - No last minute BA Order

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:49 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ClubflyerLondon
While inevitable given the economics of the A380 vs 787/A350 i echo the comments of this outcome as rather sad. the A380 is my favorite aircraft in the BA fleet
Am sure BA will keep their 12 frames for quite a few years. I think Airbus felt that 744s would pretty much be replaced 1:1 with the A380, certainly with the major 744 operators of BA, SQ, QF, LH, AF, KL, CX etc. Instead BA have replaced only about 20% of their 744 fleet with the 380 and the rest it seems will be a mixture of A35K / 787-10 and a small sub-fleet of 777W.

I have always wondered if EK was a blessing in disguise for the A380 - on the one hand they have taken >100 frames but would more total have been sold to the traditional big 744 operators mentioned above if EK had not decimated their traditional Europe to Middle East, Asia and Australia markets by siphoning everything through DXB. One can only wonder about this....
MSPeconomist and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Yep. Might not be the most beautiful aeroplane in the skies but an absolute joy to fly on. The idea that the 777, which is a dog of an aircraft from a passenger perspective, was decided to be a better choice by so many airlines is sad in the extreme.
Totally agree. It is an ugly girl, truly and another advantage of being inside an A380 is that you don't have look at her bulging exterior. But my, she is superb to fly on, amazing power, near turbulence exempt and one arrives (almost) as fresh as a daisy. If there is one good aircraft for nervous flyers it is this one, so smooth. 777s, oh what a contrast. I had a LHR-MAD on the 777-300 a few days back and I was glad to get off. I have two EZE coming up in the next few weeks and I'm dreading it. Awful aircraft.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 12, 2019 at 2:50 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
Am sure BA will keep their 12 frames for quite a few years. I think Airbus felt that 744s would pretty much be replaced 1:1 with the A380, certainly with the major 744 operators of BA, SQ, QF, LH, AF, KL, CX etc. Instead BA have replaced only about 20% of their 744 fleet with the 380 and the rest it seems will be a mixture of A35K / 787-10 and a small sub-fleet of 777W.

I have always wondered if EK was a blessing in disguise for the A380 - on the one hand they have taken >100 frames but would more total have been sold to the traditional big 744 operators mentioned above if EK had not decimated their traditional Europe to Middle East, Asia and Australia markets by siphoning everything through DXB. One can only wonder about this....
I'm not sure how much EK's growth depended on the A380, though surely synonymous, don't forget the majority of their fleet is still 77Ws, including to many European destinations and elsewhere.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
We thoroughly enjoyed our BA flight in First on board an A380 from LHR to IAD awhile back. It truly was a lovely experience....

And I still wonder why Airbus did not opt to build a freighter version of the aircraft. I seem to recall that both FedEx and UPS were quite interested in the A380 freighter but then Airbus decided to pull the plug on the program. Perhaps having a freighter version might have made a difference with regard to the longevity of the A380 production line.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by jlemon

And I still wonder why Airbus did not opt to build a freighter version of the aircraft. I seem to recall that both FedEx and UPS were quite interested in the A380 freighter but then Airbus decided to pull the plug on the program. Perhaps having a freighter version might have made a difference with regard to the longevity of the A380 production line.
Yes I remember this too.

Apparently it's because Airbus focused on the A380-800 as opposed to the A380F at the time (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A380).

But also I've read around that it would have been too heavy to fly, or be profitable to fly if it was not at capacity even if weight was not an issue.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:28 pm

Everyone who's commented so far seems to confirm the broad opinion: the plane is a beauty for the passenger experience and a problem for the airlines financially

It will be a real shame when they stop flying. However, I think that if there is an agreement to shut down the A380 production line , Airbus would probably offer a long life of support just so they don't annoy their current customers (i.e. Emirates).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; AB Platinum; Hilton Diamond
As far as I know airplanes have their maximum takeoff weight. This can be calculated and is more or less proportional to the wing span. The thing now is that the maximum takeoff weight is not significantly greater than on other freighters but you still would have space to fill which you cannot because of max tow. Its not economically worth it to have space which you couldnt use.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:01 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Having experienced F in a LH 380, it would be really sad to see this bird die a lingering death.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
i always wondered with only 12 in the BA fleet on how vulnerable they are on defective airframes. With presumably one always on maintenance, it does look like they often struggle to provide a full A380 service. I think QANTAS are in the same boat with both airlines often delaying or substituting.

I am interested in the sums for operating such a large frame with fuel, cabin crew etc. (clearly the same number of pilots) and whether it pays for shifting high numbers of PAXs - depending on the config
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
i always wondered with only 12 in the BA fleet on how vulnerable they are on defective airframes.
The other unfortunate truth with the A380s is that, with over 450 pax on a full flight, it's a logistical headache when they do go tech. Re-booking that many passengers isn't easy.
MSPeconomist and george77300 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:53 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
i always wondered with only 12 in the BA fleet on how vulnerable they are on defective airframes.
BA seem to have lots of issues with their A380s. Not sure why.

Emirates have 100+ and we rarely hear of any issues on the EK forum.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
The other unfortunate truth with the A380s is that, with over 450 pax on a full flight, it's a logistical headache when they do go tech. Re-booking that many passengers isn't easy.
Just a fun fact, the highest density A380 config which is EK's 2-class seats 615 pax. With crew and lap-infants this gets close to 650. That's crazy high numbers in IRROPS.
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Was on LHR-HKG BA27 G-XLEE (for the 6th time!) on Sunday night and HKG-SYD QF128 VH-OQI last night - both super flights. Love those aircraft (still missing XLEL to complete the BA set!).

The QF capt came for a chat and said how much QF flightcrew (as well as pax) enjoyed being on them . He said that the QF announcement was really old news at QF and that the future is likely to be non-stops (A350ULR?).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
BA seem to have lots of issues with their A380s. Not sure why.

Emirates have 100+ and we rarely hear of any issues on the EK forum.
The answer is generally in the fact they have 100+, they can deal with issues easily without travellers knowing as they have the capacity to switch things round and also allow maintenece without having to shift scheduling around.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
I love flying the A380, flew LHR > LAX CW UD and it was a joy of a flight. The A380 maybe a great lumbering whale of a plane but from the inside I find it very enjoyable to fly on.

i can see why airlines aren’t keen on the aircraft though, when you need 20+ crew to man it, it can only fly certain routes, the sheer volume of Pax to deal with should it go tech.

Could we see a A340 type programme where airlines can send them back for a A350-1000 potentially?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.