LGW lounge use

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Is that or any lounge really worth that much to the op
nancypants and Soupdragon62 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Again, can someone explain how it is unethical?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Am astonished that anyone should need to ask such a question ; and will limit myself to that.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by navylad
it is illegal
Personally, I would shy away from words like "illegal", unless I could cite the [criminal] law that's being broken, and the penalty that is imposed for doing so.
DYKWIA and :D! like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I think AA has a condition of carriage against doing sort of thing - using lounge with no intention to fly - but that does not make it illegal.

Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Am astonished that anyone should need to ask such a question ; and will limit myself to that.
Have since read the OP properly!

Last edited by Sealink; Feb 5, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:29 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I will tell you how I view it. I, too, do not know what conditions of use actually apply, but in my naivety I thought that you actually needed to be using BA or a Oneworld Alliance partner. I can too understand some confusion with Vueling operating code shares.

However, I recall the girls from the T4 Lounges when that was BA's home telling me about how someone actually tried to get in the Lounge by crawling along the floor by the desk on all fours. It was only the fact that there was someone manning the desk opposite that spotted him that he was noticed. She burst out laughing and her colleagues peered over the desk and saw him for themselves.

If this is not just a wind-up thread to get everyone going, I would put buying a ticket to get to the Lounges as just that. Rather sad and quite shaming if caught. The person doing this would have to have a BP issued and would have thus checked in. The flight could be delayed whilst they were looking for him. That said, I would not put it past someone to have already got away with this.

One day, someone will explain to me the Lounge Fetish that seems to have spread like a virus. To me, it is a rather more pleasant waiting room than that which the rest of the Terminal offers. As I find airports the most soulless places on earth, they do not have to try too hard. Just to be away from all those shops mostly selling things no one really needs is enough. It is as though the adage of a fool and their money being easily parted had taken on a physical form
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Sealink
Again, can someone explain how it is unethical?
I can't quite see why this isn't obvious but...

When someone enters a BA lounge the basis for their being there is that they intend to take an eligible (i.e. OneWorld) flight - possession of status alone isn't enough. This is demonstrated by the presentation of a suitable boarding pass. If the person does not in fact intend to take that flight they are engaging in deception and misrepresentation; they are being dishonest.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I don't know about the legal situation in the UK, but there was a story going round a few years ago where someone repeatedly pulled this off on Lufthansa and got fined EUR 2k

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...lounge-access/
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by CCayley

I can't quite see why this isn't obvious but...

When someone enters a BA lounge the basis for their being there is that they intend to take an eligible (i.e. OneWorld) flight - possession of status alone isn't enough. This is demonstrated by the presentation of a suitable boarding pass. If the person does not in fact intend to take that flight they are engaging in deception and misrepresentation; they are being dishonest.
Original Poster indicated he/she had a valid boarding pass.
I misread OP and I would definitely agree that cancelling a ticket for a refund after benefiting from lounge access is unethical
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
I don't know about the legal situation in the UK, but there was a story going round a few years ago where someone repeatedly pulled this off on Lufthansa and got fined EUR 2k

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...lounge-access/
EDIT: I have misread the original post. Buying a ticket to gain lounge access and then cancelling the ticket in exchange for a refund is certainly unethical
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I think AA has a condition of carriage against doing sort of thing - using lounge with no intention to fly - but that does not make it illegal.

I thought with paid admirals club membership you didn’t need to fly to use the lounge though nowadays you can’t off course get airside unless you are flying, pretty sure you can rent a meeting room and not be fly8ngbto use the Admirals Club.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Buying a sky cub membership or paying to rent a meeting room is a different proposition (and with different rules) to buying a ticket, accessing a lounge and then cancelling the ticket.

I think AA have also (or will soon like DL) have a rule that you must be flying on AA/OW to access the clubs.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
good lord, if a lounge is needed, pay for it. norweigian or BA. if it is part of your flight experience, great.

if you are trying to scam...shame shame, as you may be besting the rules but you sure are showing your personal ethics and they dont always work across the worldwide lounges.
AlanA and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Unethical and expecting all of the other BA passengers to subsidise him. There is a cost to the airline and therefore all of us as customers which he clearly chooses to ignore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.