Wiki Posts
Search

MAN - SZG 1st Feb Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

MAN - SZG 1st Feb Help!!!

Evening All,

I know I'm probably not posting this in the right area, but need some urgent help! Was booked on 8.05 flight tomorrow morning down to LHR, then 11.15 flight to SGZ, flight has been cancelled of course. So was wondering if anyone could offer some advise, I am happy to take a coach down to Heathrow tonight to catch the flight in the morning, however is that risky? Can anyone who lives around there advise on the weather right now?

Other alternative is to take the direct flight on Saturday PM which is BA7329 I believe? However as that aircraft comes up from LCY, what's the chances the positioning flight tomorrow eve gets cancelled as weather due to weather at LCY? If anyone could advise would much appreciate it! Would rebook with another airline but have too much luggage!

James
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:39 pm
Suspended

If you are a member of LH Miles and More consider MAN-MUC and then the train to Salzburg.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Though I can't 101% guarantee it, you can drop the MAN-LHR sector in this circumstance. I would call the BA number in the USA on Skype and ask to drop the MAN-LHR sector. They would also look at other options for you, but not on other airlines, whereas LHR agents can do that if the SZG gets hit. Dropping sectors normally causes the rest of the trip to auto-cancel but this is the sort of case where it can be re-instated. Heading off this in advance should save a delay at LHR but they can and should do it there for you too.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Though I can't 101% guarantee it, you can drop the MAN-LHR sector in this circumstance. I would call the BA number in the USA on Skype and ask to drop the MAN-LHR sector. They would also look at other options for you, but not on other airlines, whereas LHR agents can do that if the SZG gets hit. Dropping sectors normally causes the rest of the trip to auto-cancel but this is the sort of case where it can be re-instated. Heading off this in advance should save a delay at LHR but they can and should do it there for you too.
If the OP goes to MAN, would the agents there be able to book him on MAN-MUC on LH? There's still space for tomorrow, but unless the OP is insured, I don't think he'd want to pay out of his own pocket!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Hi all

Thanks for the info. LH to MUC isn't an option because of Luggage and also my taxi is booked from SZG. But just to clarify your potentially saying if I make it to LHR potentially they will be able to rebook onto another airline if SZG gets canned?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by James Halliwell
Would rebook with another airline but have too much luggage!
James
As per above, LH to Munich will preserve your schedule as far as possible. On Saturday morning, Jet2 from Birmingham is 30 quid (same price from Leeds), so even if you have to pay for bags this might be a cheap option...
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's good train service from Munich to Salzburg. When I did it, tickets were much cheaper on the regional trains (which IIRC had FC too) and there was some trick of taking the train from MUC airport but not changing trains at the Munich HBF but rather at some other station to minimize walking with bags, etc. IIRC I found this information in some thread here on FT, probably in the Germany forum.

OTOH if OP has too much luggage for the train and plans to take a taxi/uber from the SZB airport, then trying to fly into MUC won't help.

BTW, it's a beautiful scenic train ride, highly recommended.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for the info. LH to MUC isn't an option because of Luggage and also my taxi is booked from SZG. But just to clarify your potentially saying if I make it to LHR potentially they will be able to rebook onto another airline if SZG gets canned?
Correct, see post 3 above.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:09 pm

Hi all

The BA 682 is the last of 3 direct LON-SZG flights tomorrow - so if the LHR is canned I'm afraid you're stuck overnight. (The other options are LH-group connections via FRA / TXL / etc and if you manage to get put on one, it would only get you there late at night)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cauchy
If the OP goes to MAN, would the agents there be able to book him on MAN-MUC on LH? There's still space for tomorrow, but unless the OP is insured, I don't think he'd want to pay out of his own pocket!
i know the OP confirmed this was not an option for them, but for reference yes they would. I was in the situation a year ago where just as I arrived at MAN I got the BA eService text to say my MAN-LHR flight was cancelled. The later MAN flight would miss my onward connection to MUC. I quickly checked EF to see if there was space on the LH flight which there was. Then up to the check in agent, presented my suggested reroute which she agreed with, and a few minutes later I was heading to T1 to check in with LH.
cauchy and shefgab like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Evening All,

I know I'm probably not posting this in the right area, but need some urgent help! Was booked on 8.05 flight tomorrow morning down to LHR, then 11.15 flight to SGZ, flight has been cancelled of course. So was wondering if anyone could offer some advise, I am happy to take a coach down to Heathrow tonight to catch the flight in the morning, however is that risky? Can anyone who lives around there advise on the weather right now?

Other alternative is to take the direct flight on Saturday PM which is BA7329 I believe? However as that aircraft comes up from LCY, what's the chances the positioning flight tomorrow eve gets cancelled as weather due to weather at LCY? If anyone could advise would much appreciate it! Would rebook with another airline but have too much luggage!

James
Bit late to the party but Id opt for the direct flight on Saturday as if you go to London you are going to have the hassle of yiur luggage especially if you have to go to LGW. Good luck.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
In this situation, I would be just turning up at MAN early in the morning and pushing for BA to rebook me on LH via FRA. The bottom line is that BA has a responsibility to get you to SZG.

I would also accept MAN-MUC direct and buy a Bayern Ticket on the train. 2 hours and about 25 euro.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
If you are still thinking about a Saturday flight, there is a flight from LPL on Easyjet 7091 LPL-SZG 11:20/14:30. There are a few seats at just under 60 GBP. That's 60++ GBP with luggage etc. of course! I realize that (a) you've probably left already (b) this will likely be unhelpful wrt your return flight, but it just may be a possible fallback?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.