Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gatwick - Barbados - 777s refurbed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club
Question Gatwick - Barbados - 777s refurbed?

Hi All,

I am travelling with family to Barbados late March (22nd) and was wondering if anyone had a recent experience on this route?

My mother is coming and she is rather... picky... if the plane is not very good. We're travelling club world but I've done some internet research and heard mixed reports depending on the route - but can't actually find any recent reviews on the LGW - BGI route. I've seen the aircraft operating it lately and think some of them are refurbed with wifi but can't be sure.

Any views or recent experience? All I keep hearing is LGW is like the poor relation of Heathrow, which is a shame as I had two great flights out of Heathrow recently, but somehow quite hold a candle for Gatwick.

thanks in advance.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As of now I think almost any LGW 777 is going to be (a) old and (b) a lottery. We use them a couple of times a year ... they’re prefectly functional but no more than that. Not done your route, so can’t say much more than that ... apart from disliking any BA 777 in J for a variety of reasons!

I politely suggest your mother manages her expectations, and accepts it’s just Public transport to the Caribbean.
Mountlodge likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Check the seat map of Club World and if it matches the below you are on the refreshed 777s

32J52W252Y | The BA Source

However, as with all LGW longhaul, aircraft can change right up to an hour or two before departure so don't pick a date specifically reliant on aircraft type
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much. Our club world starts at row 10 and finishes at 15 with the bassinets at the back. Think this means we are on an old one. Have already booked so will attempt to manage expectations ....
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA, Marriott, Starwood, Hyatt
I think you do need to check the seat maps. For info, we were in Barbados last week and flew both ways on the later of the two daily flights (BA 2153 and BA 2152). Both were refurbished.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Malli1
Thanks very much. Our club world starts at row 10 and finishes at 15 with the bassinets at the back. Think this means we are on an old one. Have already booked so will attempt to manage expectations ....
Unless shes an avid user of the IFE, there is not a whole world of difference in J.

Just tell her to bring a good book and shell be fine
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: BA silver
With club in rows 10-15 you will need to check the economy seat map to see whether old or refurbished is expected (eg in expert flyer or a dummy booking) as the four class refurbs have the same club layout as the older non-refurbed planes
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:03 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
I did the route recently in F and the aircraft was a four class 777 from the Heathrow fleet. The lounges at Gatwick and fairy new and not that bad. I would expect that she will enjoy her trip.
argonath likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Silver , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Came back from BGI on a Gatwick 777 this month and its "a clunker"of a plane, perhaps not as bad as one of the Bangkok ones but hardly what you would refer to as in good condition. It was clean but rather old and tired in comparison to others with lifting carpets and old school IFE.. Your idea about managing expectations is pretty much on the money. The BGI lounge is poor at best but as other have said the Gatwick one is better than most. The service on the day flight over is always great and you should get some sleep coming home even though it takes off at 5:45 pm ( unless you're on the odd later flight.). I for one like the 777 seat in club , its wide and comfortable. The food is better than average and the drinks are fine although they ran out of Gin on the way home quite quickly on my last flight.

However Barbados is truly a wonderful place to holiday in so I would tend to focus on that rather than the bus that is getting you there.

Have a great time.
argonath and CatchThePigeon like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:30 am

We're going in three weeks so will see if I can do a trip report
aahch likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

Unless shes an avid user of the IFE, there is not a whole world of difference in J.

Just tell her to bring a good book and shell be fine
This! The only thing I use the IFE is for the AirShow, so I actually like the increased chance of getting a large amount of Avios for it not working!
skipness1E likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We never travel without our Kindles!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. This is very insightful. I hope we are on refurbed and would appreciate any trip report. The kindle is a good idea but I think she would be more interested in the bottom of a wine bottle, so hope the service is good!
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by hammers2958
I think you do need to check the seat maps. For info, we were in Barbados last week and flew both ways on the later of the two daily flights (BA 2153 and BA 2152). Both were refurbished.
I have just got back from BGI on G-VIIU. It was refurbished. The way out was on G-VIIO which was even more refurbished!
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:41 pm

This thread caught my eye as Mrs machotspur & I are flying to Barbados in F in 10 days time.

With the help of BA source I note the following :-

- almost all of the flights to & from BGI, in the month of January have been on three planes - G-VIIV, G-VIIW, G-VIIY.
- all three of these planes have been subject to a maintenance stop of at least 5 days (in Singapore) during 2019 - likely to be a refurb methinks.
- the seat layout showing for all three planes is the 'new' 2019 configuration of 14F/48J/40W/134Y
- the IFE system showing for all three planes is showing as Panasonic eX3 which I understand to be an up to date system.

This indicates that virtually all flights to & from Bridgetown - in the past month - have been on refurb planes.

Both of our flights are showing the 'new' 2019 configuration.There may be wiser & more experienced people than I out there that may challenge my conclusion but in the meantime I am reasonably optimistic that we will be on a refurb plane in 10 days time.(with the caveat of course that plane swaps are common etc)

Last edited by machotspur; Feb 1, 2020 at 12:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.