Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I present you the VGML (VEGAN) catering in FIRST.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I present you the VGML (VEGAN) catering in FIRST.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
So do you also feel those that choose meals based on religious beliefs is a personal choice and thus BA can also serve them shoddy meals? There are also clear environmental benefits to vegan diets, and many people report health and wellbeing benefits also.
Of course it's a personal choice! What else is it? The point is not whether it is personal or not, but what is a reasonable to expect.

I eat meat but I always try to avoid eating on a plane as I know that no matter how fancy the service class, the cutlery and the champ, you cannot have a proper steak delivered at 35k. Fullstop. I am not calling the CSD to complain if my steak is too hard to cut or too salty.

Same applies to pescatarians, vegeterians, vegans, keto, kosher and you name the belief/fad/choice you prefer. You cannot expect at 35k feet to be delivered a starred restaurant experience when eating heated vegetables in the sky, even when you pay F tickets IMO.

On the "environmental benefits" of a vegan diet (which are undoubtedly true btw) I chuckled a bit, considering we are in a frequent flyer's forum and collectively we probably generate more CO2 than several African countries put together. But anyways, one does one's best to feel ok with its conscience I guess
IkarosBOS, nancypants and FEMW like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
BA offers fine dining for vegans and should deliver it. […] They promise fine dining in the sky for vegans.
What is your basis for this? I'm not sure BA promise fine dining for anyone, but insofar as the company represents that catering in F will be of a particular quality, that applies to the regular menu, does it not?. Once a person selects a special meal they are, in effect, asking BA to prioritise some other requirement that they wish their food to meet. This often, but not always, involves requesting that their food be free from particular things which the customer has a need or desire to avoid. When does BA promise not only to meet such a requirement but to provide 'fine dining' too?
nancypants and frandrake like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:43 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by subject2load

If it is “unfair” to blame BA for such a poor show ...... then who exactly is to blame ... Is it the passenger ... ?

I blame the caterers. I often feel that BA gets the blame when they may - for all that we know - have tried to achieve something. How many times have I seen what has come out of the trolleys and ovens and thought that this was NOT what BA paid for. I think that before we go off blaming whoever, we should blame the people who actually put this on an aircraft. What I would blame BA for - without knowing how much they paid the caterers is letting them get away with it. Personally, I would have attempted to "enhance" - in the true meaning of the word rather than the sarcastic and ironic sense that it has gained here - the meal by getting something extra on the plate. However, it is possible that they cater far less generously nowadays so there are not lots of vegetables left over (I'm just saying that as an example of what I used to do) to try and make the passenger feel a bit less than second best after a meal like that.

What I am not about to do is discuss compensation as such conversations do not interest me, I leave that to others. What I am far more concerned about is customer contentment and how anyone could be remotely satisfied with that beats me.

For example
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Bottom line here is BA should do better than this and need to take this up with our caterers in HKG, I am surprised that the product was so bad as the catering ex HKG is normally very good.
The customer has been correctly compensated and hopefully will give BA another chance?
mrow and internetplumber like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ PUCCI my dear : blame the caterers, if you wish. Certainly they are the people who prepare the food (even if they don’t actually present and serve it).

However ..... out in the world of travel & hospitality (and indeed in any consumer-focused business), those to whom we pay our money have ultimate responsibility for
a) setting standards as to what is required of their chosen suppliers,
b) monitoring delivery of such standards continuously & effectively, and
c) putting things right when the customer has a legitimate grievance.
This has always been the case ; always will be.

We are of course both on the same wavelength as regards this key sentence of your post :

What I would blame BA for - without knowing how much they paid the caterers - is letting them get away with it”

PUCCI GALORE, HMPS, ttama and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by IkarosBOS
Hate to reveal my profession but there are no health conditions that require a vegan diet. So the ‘rubbish’ comment here is is uneducated to say the least. Then were all free to say its healthier to eat a carrot than a steak and i agree with that but again, no requirement. I have this discussion everyday and trust me, I am not intolerant or insensitive to the issue. I agree BA shouldnt offer the option but they do, and if the catering is bad, then fine. Bring your business elsewhere or be very thankful for a compensation other people wouldnt feel entitled to.
Whether it’s medical, religion or fad is frankly irrelevant. It’s a burgeoning trend across much of the developed world (like it or loathe it), BA are a business, they commit to offering it and have clearly done a very poor job of it. Others do it much better. Period.
ttama and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:48 am
Original Poster

I didn’t start this thread to discuss whether people agree with a VEGAN diet or not.
I am not vegan, my partner is, and I respect his decision.

BA offers VEGAN catering in FIRST. It is possible for an airline to offer great vegan meals that fits into fine dining category. Even BA has done it before.

It is really unnecessary for people to say “well you ordered vegan so what did you expect other than boiled rice and 2 pieces of broccoli”.

What one should expect in FIRST Class is a well presented, tasty meal that is in line with the price you pay for your ticket.
VSLover, HMPS, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I blame the caterers. I often feel that BA gets the blame when they may - for all that we know - have tried to achieve something.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
How many times have I seen what has come out of the trolleys and ovens and thought that this was NOT what BA paid for. I think that before we go off blaming whoever, we should blame the people who actually put this on an aircraft. What I would blame BA for - without knowing how much they paid the caterers is letting them get away with it. Personally, I would have attempted to "enhance" - in the true meaning of the word rather than the sarcastic and ironic sense that it has gained here - the meal by getting something extra on the plate. However, it is possible that they cater far less generously nowadays so there are not lots of vegetables left over (I'm just saying that as an example of what I used to do) to try and make the passenger feel a bit less than second best after a meal like that.

What I am not about to do is discuss compensation as such conversations do not interest me, I leave that to others. What I am far more concerned about is customer contentment and how anyone could be remotely satisfied with that beats me.

For example
Bolding mine.

That is absolving the responsible party, here BA. If they specified, contracted & paid for item X, then it behooves them to audit the delivery by sampling it . SIMPLE INSPECTION . In such a case perhaps the Executive Dining room at Waterside should be served such items. Changes will be at lightening speed ..
ttama and AnaTravel like this.

Last edited by HMPS; Jan 30, 2019 at 1:36 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
I didn’t start this thread to discuss whether people agree with a VEGAN diet or not.
I am not vegan, my partner is, and I respect his decision.

BA offers VEGAN catering in FIRST. It is possible for an airline to offer great vegan meals that fits into fine dining category. Even BA has done it before.

It is really unnecessary for people to say “well you ordered vegan so what did you expect other than boiled rice and 2 pieces of broccoli”.

What one should expect in FIRST Class is a well presented, tasty meal that is in line with the price you pay for your ticket.

You should not have to apologise, BA should provide a Vegan meal to the same standard as the rest of the First food, wether someone is Vegan or not is nobody’s business.
HMPS, wrp96, florens and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As I said before it's not only special meals that disappoint. Here was my choice of main meal on a SYD-SIN in F many years ago, well before Senor Cruz appeared on the scene.
It certainly didn't titillate my taste buds on looks or taste and as I don't like carrots or green beans I was never going to enjoy it. Then again I'm sure someone enough would have.Cutting through the tough veal chop with the plastic knife was a challenge.

Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by CCayley
What is your basis for this? I'm not sure BA promise fine dining for anyone, but insofar as the company represents that catering in F will be of a particular quality, that applies to the regular menu, does it not?. Once a person selects a special meal they are, in effect, asking BA to prioritise some other requirement that they wish their food to meet. This often, but not always, involves requesting that their food be free from particular things which the customer has a need or desire to avoid. When does BA promise not only to meet such a requirement but to provide 'fine dining' too?
Do I believe that British Airways deliver fine dining? No. Absolutely not. Some people do expect this. Why? Their advertising and menu descriptions allude to the finest food and wine:

British Airways Sample menu:

"Travelling in First offers you the very finest things in life, and your delicious menu today is no exception. So, please sit back, relax and enjoy our à la carte dining. Our Head Chef, Sinead Ferguson uses fresh local produce as the inspirations for her dishes. The finest food deserves the finest wines, so we have selected an eclectic mixture of ripe, fruity reds and crisp, fresh whites from around the world. You can also choose from an extra special variety of Champagnes, each perfectly balanced and sure to delight"

Does it state, "Get lost vegans, our brilliant chef can't dream up an appropriate F meal for you"?

British Airways caters for special requirements and differentiates by cabin class. Offering the OP an amuse-bouche (albeit a comedy one) illustrates the tone of the dining experience. My basis for suggesting that special meals should be of similar quality to other meals served in F is simple. British Airways offer special options, in advance to customers paying premium fares. The customer should get the premium meal they pay for. They don't select an inferior special meal, do they? Ordering a vegan meal in F should not mean that the standard of food then slips to economy minus, as the OP experienced. Vegetarian and vegan meals are hardly an obscure dietary need in 2019 (or difficult to cater for).

My view is that BA F food is on a par with Marks and Spencer's bistro or gastro type offerings. Vegans should be able to enjoy the same standard as other F passengers. If their caterers can't accommodate F passengers it is BA's responsibility to correct this. Alternatively, don't offer special meals.

Pucci Galore:

"​​​​​​I blame the caterers. I often feel that BA gets the blame when they may - for all that we know - have tried to achieve something. How many times have I seen what has come out of the trolleys and ovens and thought that this was NOT what BA paid for. I think that before we go off blaming whoever, we should blame the people who actually put this on an aircraft."

I see your point but British Airways contract the caterers. British Airways should be on top of quality control. What is shoddy is leaving it for the CC to apologise too often when these incidents should be rare in F.
HMPS, ttama and subject2load like this.

Last edited by AnaTravel; Jan 30, 2019 at 12:29 pm Reason: Apologies for edit but I didn't want to open another post.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
At the end of the day, I had an amazing vegan lunch today - I'm not vegan or vegetarian - BA First should be able to deliver a fantastic vegan option that isn't steamed veg.
HMPS, florens and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
if AA can offer a pretty solid meal in transcon 3-class biz...it is baffling to me how BA can fall short of the mark in international F.

while my daily diet is vegan, i stopped trying w BA on vegan meals exactly for this reason--they are pitiful and just accept being vegetarian. again for me, a personal preference.

but to the OPs point--if you offer the option, make it on par with standard meals just like pretty much any other international carrier does.
HMPS and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
i hope you dont want to argue just for the sake of it as it is vlearly s different issue. While you can claim that you follow a new religion that imposes you to eat only M&M’s and we hve to respect your choice, i beg to differ that there are still substantial historical, cultural and religious differences between say, a Kosher diet followed for religious reasons and a Vegan diet. And given the longer existance and much more rooted motivations of these diets the Airlines have for much longer adapted. But not infrequently we hear people complain that kosher meals are not that great, without, I am afraid, getting refunds.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
While this is off topic, why does it have to be vegan and not just limited in the nutrients that you mention?!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.