Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Fireman’s pole from GC North down to the low numbered domestic gates?
Yes ! As a GLA resident, I love this idea !
jfallesen and Stand Free like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: QF Gold
I've only been in London for 4 months, but have been through T5 now 10 times. I was confused as to how it had won terminal of the year for 4 or 5 years.

Lounge/BA
- Fast track A is good, throws you out right by the N-Lounge, N-Lounge terrace is nice but overall is lacking to south
- Fast track B dumps you in a dumb spot, you then need to go through the masses of people to swing back to the S-Lounge (unless you have Concorde Room)
- Bathrooms in BA lounges seem like something out of a train station, the in-terminal bathrooms have a nicer colour scheme and overall feel
- Yes bacon rolls are a UK tradition, but a little variety in the J lounge would be nice

Terminals
- walking from one side of the terminal A to the other is a clusterf*ck, there is absolutely no thought towards the management of people flow. Everyone just clogging the one walkway, get gate information out quicker and get people to disperse into B/C
- B/C just seem so deserted because everyone sits in A until 20 mins before boarding

Other
- Transit frequency/capacity is terrible
- Overall cleanliness/maintenance - particularly bad in the walkways between terminals, or in the arrival corridors of terminal B
- e-gates are off too often
- Duty free is uncompetitive even with high street prices
- Insufficient escalators / stairs from immigration to baggage claim,, alternatively increase the speed of these so that people are more alert and not blocking them (Have missed enough busses on a sunday and had to wait 30 mins because the stairs were blocked)
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:59 am

Honestly? Announce gates earlier- As someone that doesnt have access to the lounges, the main shopping area is too busy (especially when getting a lunch time flight) and the gate areas empty with loads of places to sit. I would happily buy my food take away and go and sit somewhere in the gate area waiting for my flight. I have only been able to do this once and it was glorious.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:05 am

Oh and while we are at it, the escalators down to the tube are terrible. Sort that out too.

And me being tight and all, give us more "cheap" food options. Open an nandos or something. Itsu is not good.
BearX220 and James91 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:11 am

Change the shopping mall image by introducing more relaxation zones similar to Schiphol. Green areas with plants/water/bird sounds and designated reading zones rather than forcing passengers into buying more plastic! But I get that LHR is all about the revenue opportunities.....
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
- more plugs in lounges.
- open plan urinals in addition to the individual bathrooms. Always people waiting for an individual room just to take a leak.
- follow the US airports that can now scan bags without need to remove laptops and liquids.
- haven't found them yet, but if they do not exist... Water fountains. Would like to be able to fill my bottle before boarding. Apologies if they do already exist.
- don't call people to gate 40 mins before opening it. Sat for ages at the bus gate a couple of times.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TTmex
- haven't found them yet, but if they do not exist... Water fountains. Would like to be able to fill my bottle before boarding. Apologies if they do already exist.
corporate-wage-slave has created a handy pictorial guide to drinking water while travelling (including info on drinking fountains) here!
wrp96, MiraculousM and TTmex like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Change the shopping mall image by introducing more relaxation zones similar to Schiphol. Green areas with plants/water/bird sounds and designated reading zones rather than forcing passengers into buying more plastic! But I get that LHR is all about the revenue opportunities.....
This is a GREAT idea. There is an actual area at franfurt airport that is a relaxation zone- it has lounge type long chairs and you cant use your phone there. It saved me last summer when i had to sit in the airport for over 4 hours. I just napped and it was glorious.
EuropeanPete and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Oh and while we are at it, the escalators down to the tube are terrible. Sort that out too.
They don't want you to use the escalators, thats why they are awkward.
chrisboote likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:43 am

Im curious to know why? if i have hand luggage only, why is it an issue. I hate those lifts with a passion
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Im curious to know why? if i have hand luggage only, why is it an issue. I hate those lifts with a passion
More injuries occur on escalators than the lifts - if it wasn't for the staff areas on the mid level I'm sure they would be tempted to remove them or never installed them or used stairs.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Close all the shops
I remember T4 pre-shops. It was a good place to be.
Since then all these over-priced shops do not help the airport experience.
Dover2Golf and chrisboote like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Trouble is BA just keeps on attracting too many customers. Unless T5 can be extended I see no easy solution.

Has it gotten that bad in recent years....rarely ever see T5 rants on here?
:D! likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by davem4
I've only been in London for 4 months, but have been through T5 now 10 times. I was confused as to how it had won terminal of the year for 4 or 5 years.

Terminals
- walking from one side of the terminal A to the other is a clusterf*ck, there is absolutely no thought towards the management of people flow. Everyone just clogging the one walkway, get gate information out quicker and get people to disperse into B/C
THIS!!!!

First thing should be to remove the idiotic advertizing signs that sit in the middle of the aisles, blocking the flow of traffic. Stupid as hell and has frustrated me since T5 opened.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I see we've al;ready had contradictory ideas!

- display the gate earlier

- display the gate later

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.