Search

Avios upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton
Avios upgrade

Hello,

I went through the avios program wiki. But I am still not clear if I have the answers.

I am planning to take my family from NA to Spain. Both my wife and I are AA gold and would like to continue to credit BA, IB and AA flights to AA. But I also find there might be upgrade space from PE to Business in BA segments. Can we buy the PE fare through BA site and upgrade to Business with Avios points while still credit the trip to AA?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, you can, it's a bit finicky but it is possible to do this, essentially along the lines your post implies. The best bet is to book via BA.com and try to do it all online, but check the details to make sure it is charging the correct amount. You do this under your BAEC account to begin with. When the reservation and UuA is all in place and the booking looks fully ok you then use Finnair.com - or ring up BA - to swap the booking's frequent flyer number to AA. The booking will then credit at the World Traveller Plus level to AA in the usual way. I would double check at the airport(s) that only your AA frequent flyer code is in the booking.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, you can, it's a bit finicky but it is possible to do this, essentially along the lines your post implies. The best bet is to book via BA.com and try to do it all online, but check the details to make sure it is charging the correct amount. You do this under your BAEC account to begin with. When the reservation and UuA is all in place and the booking looks fully ok you then use Finnair.com - or ring up BA - to swap the booking's frequent flyer number to AA. The booking will then credit at the World Traveller Plus level to AA in the usual way. I would double check at the airport(s) that only your AA frequent flyer code is in the booking.
Thank you. Appreciate your inside.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I echo the good advice you have been given and would add that, with the occasional exception, I've found calling BA to change FFP a pretty straightforward process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.