Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR J vs BA F & BA J

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ brunos - it can be amusing, but then I guess it’s just the way things are, ever since the arrival of the interwebby thing !

People will happily take to their keyboard to pass judgement on restaurants / hotels / airlines that they have never used ; or even countries they have never set foot in. Such is life.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I'm no fan of BA's current Club offering but it is perhaps a little unfair to compare a product which is well overdue for replacement (and then some) with QR's new state-of-the-art suites. For sure, there is a cavernous difference in virtually every aspect but I'm hoping BA pick up that challenge and surprise us all.
There's nothing unfair about it - if they didn't offer both products for exactly the same price on BA's website when I want to book LHR-DOH I'd possibly agree with you slightly more, but BA is happy to deem them equivalent products and even sell QR's Qsuite under a BA flight code as the same travel class as Club World, so I think the comparison is inevitable.
wrp96, AAtticus and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver
BA should be embarrassed that this thread (and others comparing competing airline's business classes to BA's first class) even exists.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:16 am

There’s a lot riding on this new J seat !

Depending on what the-great-reveal brings, I sincerely hope I will be wanting to ride it myself (ideally, a lot more than I do the current iteration)
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by subject2load
There’s a lot riding on this new J seat !

Depending on what the-great-reveal brings, I sincerely hope I will be wanting to ride it myself (ideally, a lot more than I do the current iteration)
Indeed there is but FTr's are extremely particular about such things, to an extreme in some cases.

As someone who mainly flies Y/W with the odd UuA or paid J fare then it's more of a treat for me really and I try to avoid old 777's/747s.

I do hope your right though and can't wait for the first "I'm never flying QR/AA/CX again" thread in a BA v others type thread
subject2load likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Indeed there is but FTr's are extremely particular about such things, to an extreme in some cases.

As someone who mainly flies Y/W with the odd UuA or paid J fare then it's more of a treat for me really and I try to avoid old 777's/747s.

Please don’t make me feel edgy !

I’m just about to book a couple of lengthy sectors on - what I believe will be - one of them old 747’s. (Upper deck, so methinks it will be fine ...)

PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I'm no fan of BA's current Club offering but it is perhaps a little unfair to compare a product which is well overdue for replacement (and then some) with QR's new state-of-the-art suites. For sure, there is a cavernous difference in virtually every aspect but I'm hoping BA pick up that challenge and surprise us all.
If I was planning to travel next month, how else would you expect me to make a comparison if not based on the actual offering?

Or do we need to give BA the sympathy vote?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:57 am

Please don’t make me feel edgy !

I’m just about to book a couple of lengthy sectors on - what I believe will be - one of them old 747’s. (Upper deck, so methinks it will be fine ...)

May I therefore recommend a packet of anti-septic wipes and a loaded iPad/Tablet/Kindle/Book etc.

Back on topic though I look forward to seeing the new BA seat but likewise also trying at some point the QSuite which does look fab.

I didn't actually realise that they have some backward facing window seats on the QR suite too though but that doesn't bother me but I've always said unless I need the TP's I'd always rather go direct.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:04 am

@ PETER01 - recommendations duly noted thanks, but perhaps mine will have had the so-called deep-clean treatment, and perhaps even be sporting the updated IFE (though it’s an overnighter ... am aiming to sleep mostly, so not a major issue this time)
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:12 am

@ PETER01 - recommendations duly noted thanks, but perhaps mine will have had the so-called deep-clean treatment, and perhaps even be sporting the updated IFE (though it’s an overnighter ... am aiming to sleep mostly, so not a major issue this time)
I though the older refurbished ones only had new IFE in Y and W but happy to be corrected but not so important as you rightly say on an overnighter.

OT here but may I also recommend a sleeping tip too?

29 Thimbles of Champagne
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by PETER01

OT here but may I also recommend a sleeping tip too?

29 Thimbles of Champagne

Nice idea

But I really wouldn’t feel comfortable depriving 28 fellow pax ......
PETER01, orbitmic and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have flown extensively In QR J (inc A380 to MEL,BKK and several 787's), but about 3 months ago I tried the BA merry go round AMS - LHR - KUL - BKK - HKG - LHR - AMS, with a litte side bar to DPS. In order of preference I would say:

1) BA F on 787 to KUL - best seat, easiest to sleep, good service, access to CCR. Dissapointing selection on IFE.
2) = CX J on A350 - only a short hop from BKK - HKG, but great hard product with good service
2) = QR J A380 / B787 - seat is not as nice as BA F, but far better IFE and good service. Gets marked down due to those awful chicken sausages that they serve for breakfast
3) BA J A380 - night time flight, so maybe not a direct comparison - seat was as good as QR J, but not having direct isle access is a drawback. Service was good
4) MH J A330 - good service but a narrow seat
5) MH J B737 - suprisingly good flight for a narrow bodied flight. Plenty of space and excelent service. More top up's of my wine glass than any of the above flights.
6) BA CE A320 - you get what you pay for (only 45 minutes back to AMS). However the early morning breakfast was the tastiest meal of the trip.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
In addition to what navylad already mentions, freshly squeezed orange juice from most destination (the 'supermarket machine' type, not Tropicana type as on BA), fresh squeeze lemon-mint, fresh yoghurt drink (laban). Of course, QR's important Muslim customer base may explain that they had no choice but to multiply those choices, but airlines such as CX offer signature mocktails too, JL a luxury bottled tea (ridiculously priced for those who buy it but still excellent), and I think it is fair to say that a significant proportion of frequent flyers choose not to drink (or to drink little) alcoholon board for entirely non-religious reasons so I do think it would be nice for BA to try and cater for them too. Right now, we are stuck with ridiculously sweet sodas, mediocre juices or (thankfully) sparkling water.
Meeting the demands of customers! Having a focus on healthy, tasty food and beverages is a fantastic way for airlines to differentiate themselves. When I was flying 2-3 biz trips per month (and drinking heavily) it would have been nice to have more options than drinks loaded with sugar and/or alcohol. I think society is starting to fully realize the direct impact that diet plays on our lives (or maybe that's just me - but I don't think so). Now days I rarely drink alcohol and although the occasional glass of Krug or LP Grand Siecle can be a nice treat if I manage to book F long haul on a good carrier, having access to healthy and tasty beverages (and food) is much more valuable to me, and I suspect a growing segment of the population. Just having good sparkling water options on domestic flights would be a huge improvement!

Last edited by pdxparse; Jan 9, 2019 at 3:06 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:52 pm

BA J is just not competitive any more.

The food is generally average, the seats are narrow and very intrusive (you can see the person opposite you)
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
BA J is just not competitive any more.
They seem to be doing more than ok with being non-competitive. Assuming your user name means you travel SQ a fair bit - we can probably agree quickly that the SQ product is better in almost all aspects. Yet BA fares between LHR and SIN tend to be higher than SQ.

BA has found that sweet spot where they have a very attractive FFP, charge outrageous amount for direct London services, and does low fares to fill up the rest of their planes using connecting services from places like AMS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.