Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tier Points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Tier Points

I recently booked a trip with British Airways to Hawaii. Needless to say the metal was all AA. I obtained 600 Tier points for the trip yet I my status has not changed, is that normal? even though I got tier points I do not get status unless I am on BA metal?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by karcer
I recently booked a trip with British Airways to Hawaii. Needless to say the metal was all AA. I obtained 600 Tier points for the trip yet I my status has not changed, is that normal? even though I got tier points I do not get status unless I am on BA metal?
From where to HNL?
Have you flown the required number of BA marketed and/or BA operated flights needed for status?

Link--->Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2019 edition
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
You need 4 flights on BA metal for Silver. Based in London ? A couple of cheap domestic or AMS runs will do it.
tbm13 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
You need 4 flights for silver which are operated OR flown by BA, or operated AND flown by Iberia.

EDIT: Gosh you have to be quick to answer a question first round here!
tbm13 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
To reach bronze status you need to have at least two eligible flights in addition to 300 tier points. To reach silver status you need to have at least four eligible flights in addition to 600 tier points.

02 What is an eligible flight?

Examples of criteria used to determine eligible flights:

BA operated + BA flight prefix
BA operated + other flight prefix
Other carrier operated + BA flight prefix
IB operated + IB flight prefix

Note, reward bookings and agency or industry discounted bookings are not eligible. BA/IB subsidiaries and franchise operated flights are included.

Your tier status will change as soon as you cross the next threshold, although there may be a few days lag for the system to reflect it. You will continue to accumulate Tier Points until your membership year end date. So for example, if your membership year ends on 8 January, a flight taken on 8 January will count towards your old year. Your Tier Point balance will be zeroed out on 9 January reflecting the beginning of a new membership year. If you fail to accrue the number of Tier Points (or meet the requisite number of eligible flights) needed to retain your current level, you will drop to the level immediately below. This is often referred to as the soft landing.
More information in the following post in the Guide:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30593331-post4.html
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
The BA app or BA.com should show your progress to the next tier; how many tier points and/or how many eligible flights are completed.

What's your eligible flight count?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
While you booked the flights with BA, they were probably all AA<XXXX> coded and not BA<XXXX> would be my guess.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Gshumway
While you booked the flights with BA, they were probably all AA<XXXX> coded and not BA<XXXX> would be my guess.
Would BA issue a 125 ticket without any sector either operated on BA metal or with a BA flight number? Maybe it’s possible, but I didn’t think BA would do it.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Oaxaca

Would BA issue a 125 ticket without any sector either operated on BA metal or with a BA flight number? Maybe it’s possible, but I didn’t think BA would do it.
I don’t know exactly under what circumstances it can or cannot happen or how common it is but it’s certainly possible. I have a 125 ticket with no BA sectors.

Last edited by fruitcage; Jan 8, 2019 at 3:51 pm
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by fruitcage
EDIT: Gosh you have to be quick to answer a question first round here!
Or live in a different time zone.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

The tickets were 125 tickets. Not being very experienced at this I assumed I would get my status, unfortunately it seems I do not which is disappointing, I would have made Silver.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The tickets were 125 tickets. Not being very experienced at this I assumed I would get my status, unfortunately it seems I do not which is disappointing, I would have made Silver.
Thanks for coming back. A few things to note

- has your last flight to hit 600 just posted today? if so the process to upgrade your status tends to take 1-2 further days so won't show on the same day you get to 600

- do you know whether you have the 4 eligible flights? as noted above they can be any of
BA operated + BA flight prefix
BA operated + other flight prefix
Other carrier operated + BA flight prefix
IB operated + IB flight prefix
so for example a BA operated flight booked under the AA flight number would count. it should indicate on your BAEC homepage whether you have eligible flights still to get and how many. as this is a ba ticket i suspect you many have at least one or two eligible flights in the booking possibly
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It would be helpful if you could give us the flight numbers of all the flights you took as they appeared on your eticket, boarding pass or in the BA app as that would help quickly determine if they would count as BA or not
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
You need 4 flights on BA metal for Silver. Based in London ? A couple of cheap domestic or AMS runs will do it.
Not true, you never need to set foot on a BA plane to get the 4 BA segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.