Avios on sale [via vente-privee.com]

Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:21 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Posts: 777
Avios on sale [via vente-privee.com]

It is possible to buy Avios at a discounted price on french private sale website www.vente-privee.com
You need to register for an account ot access the sale.
Avios can be credited to both BA or IB.
100000 maximum and it expands validity of your avios for 36 months

⇒ 2 000 Avios for 21 instead of 54
⇒ 4 000 Avios for 45 instead of 91
⇒ 8 000 Avios for 99 instead of 164
⇒ 12 000 Avios for 145 instead of 238
⇒ 20 000 Avios for 229 instead of 385
⇒ 35 000 Avios for 399 instead of 665

Then it is 0,0114/avios
Is it a good price ?
canadavid is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:25 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: South East England
Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Posts: 543
For me, that's not quite cheap enough to make me buy. Close though!

Anyone's buying decisions should be based on
- do you trust the retailer
- are you a bit short for a likely redemption coming up soon
- what value do you get from your redemptions
memesweeper is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:55 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Posts: 4,294
Originally Posted by canadavid
It is possible to buy Avios at a discounted price on french private sale website www.vente-privee.com
You need to register for an account ot access the sale.
Avios can be credited to both BA or IB.
100000 maximum and it expands validity of your avios for 36 months

⇒ 2 000 Avios for 21 instead of 54
⇒ 4 000 Avios for 45 instead of 91
⇒ 8 000 Avios for 99 instead of 164
⇒ 12 000 Avios for 145 instead of 238
⇒ 20 000 Avios for 229 instead of 385
⇒ 35 000 Avios for 399 instead of 665

Then it is 0,0114/avios
Is it a good price ?
I would be quite wary of buying Avios anything but through the official routes, because there is a risk of not getting anything, having someone strip your account or BA rejecting the transaction and you having no recourse.

Buyer beware!
BA or bust is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:02 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: South East England
Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Posts: 543
Originally Posted by BA or bust
I would be quite wary of buying Avios anything but through the official routes, !
I've had them fail to credit through official routes! (Iberia and Groupon )
memesweeper is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:02 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Posts: 4,350
OK, who is going to take 1 for the team?
Blueboys999 is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:48 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Posts: 2,383
I registered...

But no Avios deal showing!

im wondering if this is because it located me in U.K.?
Cris L is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:01 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Posts: 777
Originally Posted by Cris L
But no Avios deal showing!

im wondering if this is because it located me in U.K.?
Probably. It has to be on the french website (categorie "Le Voyage")

By the way, i already made 50-60 purchase on this website without any problem. It is reliable website !
You get a voucher and can redeem it on the following website: https://www.aviosvouchers.com

Last edited by canadavid; Mar 25, 2017 at 4:07 am
canadavid is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:11 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 858
In UK terms, that is almost exactly 1p per avios.

I just "paid" 0.73p per avios to BA by using the "part pay with avios" on a reward ticket.

And in the BA Avios sale I got offered a 30% discount.

Yes, if I had used all those routes, was avios poor and wanted to use my 241, then I suppose it is an OK deal.

But to be frank, I almost always find better deals in business, paying cash, on the routes I fly.

Keeping my avios for the recent last-minute deal for a funeral and - perhaps - direct to the Maldives one day. (Had though take Qatar from EDI, rather than BA via LGW, but the electronic ban is now persuading me otherwise. I like reading my Kindle!)
flygod is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:20 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by flygod
(Had though take Qatar from EDI, rather than BA via LGW, but the electronic ban is now persuading me otherwise. I like reading my Kindle!)
Qatar is not (currently) affected by the UK electronics ban.
waffle is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:59 am
  #10  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW London and NW Sydney
Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Posts: 6,385
Originally Posted by flygod
I just "paid" 0.73p per avios to BA by using the "part pay with avios" on a reward ticket.
Do you mean part pay with avios on a paid ticket? If yes, then you didn't pay for the avios. BA paid you to buy back your avios.

It is also possible to buy additional avios at the point of making a redemption, if you don't have enough, but this doesn't have a specific name

Originally Posted by waffle
Qatar is not (currently) affected by the UK electronics ban.
But if booking up to 12 months in advance it may be better not to assume anything
:D! is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:16 am
  #11  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 64,479
Originally Posted by :D!
Do you mean part pay with avios on a paid ticket? If yes, then you didn't pay for the avios. BA paid you to buy back your avios.
Correct, so this is poor use of Avios, since you are getting some 0.73p value per Avios, and in my opinion you should be looking for 2p value or more.

However some part pay options give over 1p: sometimes BA has a deal on in this area, about twice a year (not at the moment) where the effective value is over 1p. Also with some part pay combinations, notably with Iberia and Level, that figure is much better, so you can save (e.g.) 25,000 Avios for an extra 150, a rate of 1.67 pence. The BA equivalent would cost around 300. Finally some BA part pay rates are neutral, so near the 1p mark, in which case it may be worth paying more cash tactically, if you can get more 2p value elsewhere or can combine with a 2-4-1. Plus of course if the alternative was cash (due to having insufficient Avios for highest Avios rates) then you have to be wary of comparing a relatively flexible Avios ticket with an inflexible cash ticket.

[Though be careful, Iberia redemptions cannot be cancelled away from Iberia,Level,BA, Vueling, Nostrum, plus multi-partner bookings]
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:22 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,608
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

[Though be careful, Iberia redemptions cannot be cancelled away from Iberia,Level,BA, Vueling, Nostrum, plus multi-partner bookings]
Can you clarify on this? I thought Iberia redemptions booked via Iberia were refundable.
ringingup is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:25 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Posts: 10,169
You can cancel an IB Avios ticket on IB/BA/VY/YW. Partner redemptions can't be cancelled. I'm not 100% sure on multipartner awards.
BA6501 is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:31 am
  #14  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 64,479
Originally Posted by ringingup
Can you clarify on this? I thought Iberia redemptions booked via Iberia were refundable.
That's what I said? There is a small cancel fee for IB however.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:03 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Programs: MUCCI
Posts: 5,706
Originally Posted by flygod
I just "paid" 0.73p per avios to BA by using the "part pay with avios" on a reward ticket.
Originally Posted by :D!
Do you mean part pay with avios on a paid ticket? If yes, then you didn't pay for the avios. BA paid you to buy back your avios.
I think @flygod does mean a reward ticket as they said, not a revenue (paid).

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Correct, so this is poor use of Avios, since you are getting some 0.73p value per Avios, and in my opinion you should be looking for 2p value or more.
Although I believe @flygod is talking about a reward ticket.

i.e. they have reduced the number of Avios they would have used, in return for contributing some cash.
I've often effectively bought Avios at well under 1p each using this method, the figure of 0.73p seems entirely believable to me.

With hindsight, I wish I had not done this as often, as I still have far, far too many Avios for my liking when considering devaluation risk. At least cash can be invested/interest, etc.

But reducing Avios for cash is a jolly good approach to buy them - but find the sweet spot on the scale you are offered. It can vary which notch is cheapest.
David-A is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.