Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Business class from Chambery to London City - what a fraud

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM

I booked the flight from Chambery for my husband and I in Club Europe as a treat. I often travel in Business Class but my husband does not. So I was looking forward to sharing with him all the standard benefits one gets flying Business Class - such as a short queue for the check-in, a nice lounge to relax in at the airport, a larger seat, food on the plane, a faster deplane with baggage coming first etc etc etc. Of this, the ONLY benefit we got was the food on the plane. The salad was revolting, but the scone was nice. So that was about Euro 200 for a scone. Not exactly good value. I think it was fraudulent to sell a business class ticket on a flight that had basically NO business class benefits. The check-in queue did not differentiate between classes and we spent 45 minutes queuing to check in! There was NO lounge and the measly Euro 10 voucher was not accepted at the only place in the airport that sold food, meaning we ended up eating pot noodles heated in the "in terminal microwave" along with everyone else. The seat was identical to the economy class seats - not so much as half an inch wider and not even the "middle seat gap" which I have had on previous european flights. And our luggage came off basically last, with all the economy passengers having collected theirs first. And right in front of me on the plane there was a couple with a lap baby - who decided that the best way to entertain their kid during the flight was to play jingly ipad videos, at full volume. So it was not even a peaceful experience. I mentioned to the air stewardess that the noise was quite distracting and she said "well I could speak to them but basically there is nothing I can do". And she did not even try speaking to them.

What did we pay for? How can BA sell a different class of service that is basically not actually different? I feel completely cheated. (And have sent the same complaint as above directly to them as well, because I really do feel unhappy about it, but thought I would also see what others think).
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Only for TPs really.
Markie, Blueboys999, T8191 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I completely understand where you are coming from, I don’t know Chambery so it seems double unlucky as LCY has no lounge.
The larger seat ? I was under the impression that all BA short haul flights featured the same seats regardless of class.
Catering is subjective- I am no fan of the salads.
I recently travelled on AA domestic ‘First class’ which does have bigger seats and also a hot meal from Chicago- New York. However, I only gained lounge access through OW status not travel class. If I had been an Aadvantage status holder I would still not have lounge access.
I do feel more inclined to research what I am buying nowadays, the devil is always in the detail.
Having said that I would definitely forward my views on that experience to BA, you will most likely only get a cut and paste answer.
I never think it is a waste of time to shoot off an email for good or bad reasons - feedback should be given.
fairhsa, Yoshi212 and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
some paragraphs / page breaks would be nice to help distinguish between what BA offers and what the OPs expectations were.

I'd say this

1. BA does not promise a wider seat in CE

2. You were given a CE meal. Just because you didn't like it does not mean BA was at fault. It cant be responsible for your personal taste.

3. BA does not offer a priority bag service
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
In defense of the OP: If someone is not familiar with the BA product and books Cityflyer expecting a "business class" experience - even at the low expectation level of it being "European business class" - then this will be a disappointment.
Markie, SK, lhrpete and 18 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LCY8737
In defense of the OP: If someone is not familiar with the BA product and books Cityflyer expecting a "business class" experience - even at the low expectation level of it being "European business class" - then this will be a disappointment.
I’ve had some excellence in CE on routes such as AGP-LCY, JMK-LCY, JTR-LCY.
PUCCI GALORE, Fritz and alex67500 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by fairhsa
I booked the flight from Chambery for my husband and I in Club Europe as a treat. I often travel in Business Class but my husband does not. So I was looking forward to sharing with him all the standard benefits one gets flying Business Class - such as a short queue for the check-in, a nice lounge to relax in at the airport, a larger seat, food on the plane, a faster deplane with baggage coming first etc etc etc. Of this, the ONLY benefit we got was the food on the plane. The salad was revolting, but the scone was nice. So that was about Euro 200 for a scone. Not exactly good value. I think it was fraudulent to sell a business class ticket on a flight that had basically NO business class benefits. The check-in queue did not differentiate between classes and we spent 45 minutes queuing to check in! There was NO lounge and the measly Euro 10 voucher was not accepted at the only place in the airport that sold food, meaning we ended up eating pot noodles heated in the "in terminal microwave" along with everyone else. The seat was identical to the economy class seats - not so much as half an inch wider and not even the "middle seat gap" which I have had on previous european flights. And our luggage came off basically last, with all the economy passengers having collected theirs first. And right in front of me on the plane there was a couple with a lap baby - who decided that the best way to entertain their kid during the flight was to play jingly ipad videos, at full volume. So it was not even a peaceful experience. I mentioned to the air stewardess that the noise was quite distracting and she said "well I could speak to them but basically there is nothing I can do". And she did not even try speaking to them.

What did we pay for? How can BA sell a different class of service that is basically not actually different? I feel completely cheated. (And have sent the same complaint as above directly to them as well, because I really do feel unhappy about it, but thought I would also see what others think).
In what way was the salad revolting? Which dish were you served?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
On the few times I have used BA's Cityflyer I have been perfectly happy in an exit row seat and always wonder just why anybody would fork out for CE on these aircraft (TP's aside).
LCY8737, dougzz and TFFT like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I guess the long and short of it these days is that Club Europe is rubbish and incredibly poor value. Unless it comes as part of a long haul booking, I’d rather have an exit row seat in economy. Case in point being a back to back in Brussels last week, where my BRU-LHR sector was booked into CE as part of my long haul trip and I cancelled my outbound, CE Avios flight the day before travelling and rebooked in economy when Avios flights became available in Y. I can’t even justify an extra 4,500 Avios and £7.50 for such a similar experience.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Thanks. My typical flight experience is short haul Asia - Hong Kong to Manila is only about 15 minutes longer flight than Chambery to LCY and I would say Premium Economy on that is better than the "club" Europe service I experienced! Business class is much better.
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

In what way was the salad revolting? Which dish were you served?
Pulled pork with sweet corn. Looked like catfood. Didn't go a bundle on the taste either. No hot choice.
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:57 pm

As an aside, as BA doesn’t offer priority bag service, why the orange priority tags? Was wondering this while I waited 60mins for my bag at MUC last night!
Agree that where no lounges or if already holding status for lounge access, CE is unjustifiable nowadays.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:58 pm

p.s.
(I was only in CE as a result of INN cancellation)
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I guess the long and short of it these days is that Club Europe is rubbish and incredibly poor value. Unless it comes as part of a long haul booking, I’d rather have an exit row seat in economy. Case in point being a back to back in Brussels last week, where my BRU-LHR sector was booked into CE as part of my long haul trip and I cancelled my outbound, CE Avios flight the day before travelling and rebooked in economy when Avios flights became available in Y. I can’t even justify an extra 4,500 Avios and £7.50 for such a similar experience.
....or when I was upgraded the other week on the way back from AMS to LCY. No food offered (I’m guessing because they wouldn’t have catered for an upgrade - I would have said no anyway). So, given I had an exit row seat, moving to 1A was really a down-grade. Compensation due under EU law???

i still love LCY though
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Bullswood
As an aside, as BA doesn’t offer priority bag service, why the orange priority tags? Was wondering this while I waited 60mins for my bag at MUC last night!
Agree that where no lounges or if already holding status for lounge access, CE is unjustifiable nowadays.
the orange priority tags on BA are well documented as only being there to make pax feel special

(as an aside, my experience with QF priority tags has been similarly useless. Are there people who actually rely on the bags being delivered first??)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.