Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Johnnie Walker Blue Label in First

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Sealink
It was the blended whiskeys that helped the Scottish whiskey business boom, after years of decline.
And blended Whisky is still responsible for around 90% of Scotch sold globally to this day.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

The SMWS is on the BA portal?!?! Wow - why didn’t I know this before now?!!
Seems it's only membership packages and not individual bottles.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Darn. I flew CPH-LHR-JFK in J a few months back and no one told me JWB was an option. I agree it's equal parts marketing and whisky, but it's still good whisky.

But while we've hijacked this into a "My favorite.." thread, can I get a what-what for Edradour!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:28 pm

Not being a whisky/whiskey aficionado, this thread has been a most entertaining read today. Thanks for putting a smile on my face at the way so many try to outdo one another in the etiquettes of the malt. Only on FlyerTalk
LBA_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by endoman
Seems it's only membership packages and not individual bottles.
Ah that’s a shame. Several of us have been telling them for years that we’d join up if they opened Glasgow rooms, but they don’t seem interested. No shortage of decent whisky pubs here though I guess.
endoman likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by TRISTAR1979

And blended Whisky is still responsible for around 90% of Scotch sold globally to this day.
I actually find that I tend to prefer Irish Whiskey blends to Scottish Whisky ones. Bushmills in particular is my go to blend when I just want something uncomplicated that's still nice.
CoweyB and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Mordac
I actually find that I tend to prefer Irish Whiskey blends to Scottish Whisky ones. Bushmills in particular is my go to blend when I just want something uncomplicated that's still nice.
Right, I’m all for tolerance of people’s differing tastes - I’ll even forgive someone who puts ice in their whisky (though I won’t forget when I’m next pouring the good stuff) - but you’ve crossed the line here!
Mordac likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Right, I’m all for tolerance of people’s differing tastes - I’ll even forgive someone who puts ice in their whisky (though I won’t forget when I’m next pouring the good stuff) - but you’ve crossed the line here!
At my last job in Belfast, one of my Northern Irish colleagues praised a particular Irish Whiskey (Green Spot) by noting that he'd even had a Scotsman praise its qualities. I'm neither Scottish nor Irish (North or South), so I'll continue to enjoy both liberally. I do generally prefer Scottish singles to Irish, though! My choice is generally Island or Highland malts with prominent sea notes. Think Tallisker or Highland Park.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:01 pm

I should be passing their door tomorrow (Edradour). Nice dram but not my favourite.
The earlier price list difference for12 and 18 year old Highland Park is not too bad when a bottle of 18 is about 3 or 4 times the price.

Last edited by PIKnic; Jan 5, 2019 at 2:02 pm Reason: Addition
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by PIKnic
I should be passing their door tomorrow (Edradour). Nice dram but not my favourite.
Their 12 year Caledonia was great. I have no clue who Douglas Maclean is, or why he gets his own whisky, but it was enjoyable.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:45 pm

Douglas Maclean

He is a Scottish singer famous for his anthem Caledonia. He is from the Dunkeld area which is about 12 miles south of the distillery. Lovely part of the world.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
But while we've hijacked this into a "My favorite.." thread, can I get a what-what for Edradour!
Now you’re talking. My favourite dram by a long way - just polished a couple off. I always buy a couple of bottles when passing Pitlochry.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I'm a huge fan of JW Blue. I really love the way the flavour explodes in your mouth, particularly on the second sip. The cask edition is even better - I always keep a bottle in the house
Me too ,,, but being in a warm climate we get lots of visitors this time of year, so I always break out one my JW Blues in it's original packaging but cut with a much cheaper blend of scotch. Nobody seems to notice after the second glass.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:13 am
Original Poster

i do enjoy a nice peaty single malt too however i find JW Blue works rather well at altitude, at home in London iv just opened a Bottle of Laphroaig 25
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Darn. I flew CPH-LHR-JFK in J a few months back and no one told me JWB was an option. I agree it's equal parts marketing and whisky, but it's still good whisky.

JWB is only served in F, not J.
coxm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.