Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Johnnie Walker Blue Label in First

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by amt
This is getting serious...

Perhaps we we should start a support group or some sort of group therapy for folks that have had to settle for second choice booze and thus couldn’t drink their tickets worth of miles back...

Non Anonymous Alcoholic Annoyances
Talking of serious... I have been slowly consuming a bottle of single malt, from one of the many small distilleries, I thought. It is rather good. Circumstances led me to look it up online. Take a look for yourselves. Ladyburn. I almost had a heart attack!

rb211.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by seaskybound
Galleries first (T5&T3) almost always has JWB self pour. I guess they have some system of limits, i.e X bottles per day or 1 bottle per Y hours. Only once did I see it not available, asked for some and was organised. It's good but way overated and certainly not worth its price. "Luxury" via marketing. I once gifted it to a Chinese business partner who I knew would appreciate the perceived value.

I prefer JW Black (more peaty). And can't touch JW Red, even with a mixer. Nasty.

Haven't seen Islay's on BA or its lounges. I do like them.
Why don’t they serve the good stuff aka Glenmorangie in any of its incarnations
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Rubecula
Pedant alert. Whisky rather than WHISKY.
Pedant alert II. Malt not Whisky

Unless it is not Malt in which Rotgut is a sufficient description.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Blends can be excellent - take, the sadly now discontinued, Hibiki 17 which is my favourite blend of all time. Picked up a bottle in Japan last year just before they announced the discontinuation - is now hidden away in the back of my whisky cupboard.

I do wish BA would serve something a bit better than Glenlivet though - a Macallan Sherry Oak would be very welcome
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Off Topic Alert

Originally Posted by layz
EDIT: to be clear I wasn't calling you a Sun reader, it just surprises me that the consider it suitable lounge material, it's always the biggest pile of untouched papers in the lounge)
I don't know personally, but colleagues tell me it has some of the best football reporting of any newspaper.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Blends can be excellent - take, the sadly now discontinued, Hibiki 17 which is my favourite blend of all time. Picked up a bottle in Japan last year just before they announced the discontinuation - is now hidden away in the back of my whisky cupboard.

I do wish BA would serve something a bit better than Glenlivet though - a Macallan Sherry Oak would be very welcome
+1 for Japanese whiskey, slowly working my way through the Hibiki, quite like Yamazaki single malt too.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:14 am

I don't get all the hatred towards Glenlivet, as it goes amazing mixed with sprite. :-)
strickers likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
a Macallan Sherry Oak would be very welcome
Agreed
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
JWB has always been handed to me in a glass but does it come in 5ml miniatures or is it a bigger bottle in First?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by pacenotes
JWB has always been handed to me in a glass but does it come in 5ml miniatures or is it a bigger bottle in First?
It's poured from a full size bottle in F.
pacenotes likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Worcester
Pedant alert II. Malt not Whisky

Unless it is not Malt in which Rotgut is a sufficient description.
I don't want to get drawn in to a pendant face-off

Just to clarify, JW a blended whisky, so it comprises some malt whisky and some grain whisky. I don't know what the proportions are for JW but typically there is more grain whisky that malt whisky in a blend. Malt whisky tends to refer to either a single malt, or a blended malt containing only malt whisky.

The various whisky types are:
  • Single Malt Whisky is produced only from 100% malted barley.
  • Single Grain Whisky ‐ from a mixture of cereals (e.g. corn, maize) that may include barley.
  • Blended Grain Whisky ‐ rare but Compass Box now being sold
  • Blended Malt (aka Vatted Malt Whisky) involves the blending of several single malt scotch whiskies from different distilleries.
  • Blended Scotch Whisky combines grain and malt whiskies. ‐ about 60‐85% grain whisky.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Mike_Smith
I don't get all the hatred towards Glenlivet, as it goes amazing mixed with sprite. :-)
It was much better pre-Seagrams.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:08 pm

Personally I really enjoy JW Blue, and was quite disappointed when they didn't have any on my last F flight. I've no doubt there are better whiskies at the same price point, but I find it rich and smooth - very sippable in fact, and it is a treat to enjoy something that I would never normally buy for myself.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by layz
(EDIT: to be clear I wasn't calling you a Sun reader, it just surprises me that the consider it suitable lounge material, it's always the biggest pile of untouched papers in the lounge)
Maybe it is being kept handy for when the Andrex is enhanced
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Mike_Smith
Actually, I really like it (and NOT with sprite!!). To be honest, its one of my favourites. But I think some people fail to appreciate that these things are very much a matter of individual taste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.