FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   No Johnnie Walker Blue Label in First (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949278-no-johnnie-walker-blue-label-first.html)

ClubflyerLondon Jan 5, 2019 2:14 am

No Johnnie Walker Blue Label in First

Currently in a balmy SIN for a few days, however on BA11 on the way out there was no JW Blue stocked, is this yet another cost saving im used to catering shortages etc but i thought bars were routinely stocked ex LHR, Thankfully there was plenty of LPGS to get me through this. The CSD did come and apologize and was clearly embarrassed as i also mentioned the food was not up to scratch.

Mordac Jan 5, 2019 5:35 am

I don't even understand why they have that in first. Who'd want to drink a blend anyway when there's single malt available? Or were they out of those too? :confused:

secretplantofightinflation Jan 5, 2019 5:41 am

Some people like blends.

different strokes and all that

KARFA Jan 5, 2019 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Mordac (Post 30613024)
I don't even understand why they have that in first. Who'd want to drink a blend anyway when there's single malt available? Or were they out of those too? :confused:

there is no reason you can’t have very good blends which are the equal if not better than a single malt. Tbh the glenlivet they have onboard is pretty poor unless you like your whisky orange with e150!

Mordac Jan 5, 2019 5:50 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 30613047)

there is no reason you can’t have very good blends which are the equal if not better than a single malt. Tbh the glenlivet they have onboard is pretty poor unless you like your whisky orange with e150!

I'll need to be convinced of your first statement. I'll have a sample the next time I'm at a lounge with one. :p

Don't disagree that the Glenlivet is hardly the best they could have picked, but I'm generally not that into Speyside whiskies anyway. Still rate it above the blends I've tried, but I just don't see the point in buying a 'premium' blend, which seems a bit of a contradiction in terms to me, but maybe that's just my prejudice showing! Again, I'll be happy to educate myself when I next have access to them on BA's dime!

orbitmic Jan 5, 2019 6:26 am

Well, if only BA would source a few remaining bottles of Port Ellen... :p

I must say I'm also a member of the "why on earth is JW Blue ever popular?!" club but to each their taste and preferences of course!

Rubecula Jan 5, 2019 6:27 am

Each to their own. I like the Glenlivet BA serve. It is my nightcap of choice.

Travelling Inspector Jan 5, 2019 7:26 am

I'm generally in the single malt is better than any blend camp, but couldn't resist the current offer from the High Life Shop for delivery on board of Johnnie Walker Black Label at £12 for litre, even cheaper than Grouse.

Scots_Al Jan 5, 2019 7:27 am

There’s absolutely nothing inherently better about a single malt over a blend - in fact the vast bulk of single malt production goes straight into blends. Real whisky snobs prefer single cask bottlings anyway!

Drink what you like, dont drink what you don’t.

FWIW, I recently received a bottle of Naked Grouse - about a £25 bottle I think - it’s not complex, but it is very, very drinkable.

Filthy Monkey Jan 5, 2019 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Mordac (Post 30613024)

Because some of us are able to enjoy it without letting whisky snobbery get in the way :p

I'm a huge fan of JW Blue. I really love the way the flavour explodes in your mouth, particularly on the second sip. The cask edition is even better - I always keep a bottle in the house.

TRISTAR1979 Jan 5, 2019 8:06 am

I quite like The Glenlivet Small Batch they serve in first (and also in the GLA lounge whisky snug ) the spayside whiskys are more to my taste, but I am more of a blend drinker, though not Johnnie Walker, it's a bit too smokey for me. Johnnie Blue label must be one of the most overpriced whiskys on the market, but that's just my tupence worth.

KARFA Jan 5, 2019 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al (Post 30613347)
There’s absolutely nothing inherently better about a single malt over a blend - in fact the vast bulk of single malt production goes straight into blends. Real whisky snobs prefer single cask bottlings anyway!

Drink what you like, dont drink what you don’t.

FWIW, I recently received a bottle of Naked Grouse - about a £25 bottle I think - it’s not complex, but it is very, very drinkable.

Indeed. I think Ralfy would say the same in his usual eloquent way :) for anyone who really wants to appreciate whisky try everything, blends, single malts, grains etc. There is quality and s**** in all categories.

rossmacd Jan 5, 2019 8:15 am

Originally Posted by TRISTAR1979 (Post 30613460)
Johnnie Blue label must be one of the most overpriced whiskys on the market, but that's just my tupence worth.

Quite. An utterly fantastic piece of marketing execution by Diageo.

JW Blue is a good all round blend and I would not discredit it in any way, but should not command the price premium that it does compared to similar products available.

endoman Jan 5, 2019 8:44 am

Twas my birthday yesterday so I had these 5 Single Casks to try, and drank along with the virtual tasting I found in Facebook. Very good it was as well!

https://www.smws.com/35th-anniversar...discovery-pack

gliderpilot Jan 5, 2019 8:47 am

This amused me when over in the states the other month. Note the difference in price between the Famous Grouse and 12 year old Glenlivet!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9052a981c3.jpg