Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MMB being (dare I say it) sexist?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

MMB being (dare I say it) sexist?

This is strange but I’ll go ahead and ask the question.

I’ve made 3 bookings in the past month through BA. One holiday, one flights and hotel for part of the stay and one open jaw trip to the US and back. All of them I booked and paid for with my card while logged into my Exec Club (as a lowly Blue)

All three bookings are showing my travel companions name first. They are also a Blue, are on my household account, and are male.

Just seems very strange that he’s classed as the lead passenger. Anyone know why this might be?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Alphabetical order?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Is he the lead person on a HHA?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
Is he the lead person on a HHA?
No.

I thought it might be alphabetical, however on our 2016 and 2017 bookings (none for 2018) I was first.

I suppose they might have changed things to default alphabetically but still seems strange.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC (blue), VS Flying Club (red), Hotels.com (silver!), IHG, Amex, TopCashback, Tesco...
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Alphabetical order?
Yes, I (female) booked from my account for myself, Mum, Dad and husband (who is head of his and my household account). The couple with the surname first in the alphabet was listed first with my mum (first name Axxxx) as lead passenger although all the first names were also in alphabetical order A, B, C, D!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hedgehopper

Yes, I (female) booked from my account for myself, Mum, Dad and husband (who is head of his and my household account). The couple with the surname first in the alphabet was listed first with my mum (first name Axxxx) as lead passenger although all the first names were also in alphabetical order A, B, C, D!
That’ll be it then. Thanks for clarifying. I’ll either have to marry him or stop travelling with him to get my name first.

Neither option seems appealing. 😁
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
To provide a reverse data point, I’ve had female travel companions come first on reservations plenty of times, when they were ahead of me in the alphabet lottery. Especially fun the first time it happened, on a BA Holidays booking, where the hotel insisted there was no reservation under my name (despite being the lead pax) when we arrived tired and exhausted at 1am. Only eventually did they find one... under my partner’s name.

So, Occam’s razor on this occasion. That’s not to say BA doesn’t provide genuine examples of sexism - look no further than that pathetic “safety” video and how the “director” talks to one woman in particular.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
I also have a flight tonight that I booked for the wife and I . I appear first on the passenger list in MMB however the confirmation email for check-in arrived at my (Mr _f) email address which opened with

BA check-in confirmation

Dear Mrs _f,
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Yes, MMB is sexist. It always puts Mrs O as the lead passenger on any family bookings I make (though these are often made over the phone with BA, so can't be certain how automatic it is). I would guess that the alphabetical order explanation works, our family of 4 with same surname seems to be listed in alphabetical order of first name in MMB.

Anyway, it's probably correct. One of our cost centres asked a few days ago what titular meant, and by way of example I told her that I am the titular head of our household...
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
And as further little annoyance if I use MMB to check myself and SWMBO in online as the flight opens its always her that gets SEQ001 too...

But I am too much of a gentleman to mention it.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by csutter

That’s not to say BA doesn’t provide genuine examples of sexism - look no further than that pathetic “safety” video and how the “director” talks to one woman in particular.
The dangers of using humour...the character this actor is best known for, and is also playing in the BA video, is a pathetic and cringeworthy individual subject to frequent humiliation. Of course, if you don't know that (and the show is a bit niche, so a lot of people wouldn't, even in the UK), I can see how it could come across otherwise.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
The dangers of using humour...the character this actor is best known for, and is also playing in the BA video, is a pathetic and cringeworthy individual subject to frequent humiliation. Of course, if you don't know that (and the show is a bit niche, so a lot of people wouldn't, even in the UK), I can see how it could come across otherwise.
Yeah the show is extremely niche and even if it wasn’t it’s very UK centric (to the extent that I think it’s only available via iPlayer)

So it would be difficult for the other 74 countries BA fly to to even see it let alone ‘get’ it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.