Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does BAEC Hate TP Runs?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Generally I think they don’t care. It makes very little difference to their profits. They even gained a little publicity at least once with a story in the media about delivering a new gold card to a punter as they landed at the end of a TP run.
I think they're more than happy for the extra business...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I’m sure they hate people spending thousands of pounds to get benefits which only cost them a few hundred pounds, and then, ensure that you’re even more loyal to the brand.

After all, to make use of those benefits you have to fly...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eugegall
I know it's perfectly accepted however an airline must recognise when someone is on a TP run to achieve a certain status for as little as possible.

Or would this not even be on a radar for an airline, other than a soulless computer?

Like a buffet restaurant. They bank on people having say 2 plates or less because their breakeven point might be 1.5 plates to leave some profit but when a rugby team rock up and eat 5 plates each... they lose out.

See where I'm going?
Your premise is wrong. If anything, they probably love the fact that some people really ask for more Kool Aid.
FrogTastic likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by richardwft
The percentage who TP run is probably very small
Insignificant even...and only the most fanatical will keep doing it year after year after year.

I was looking back at an old thread yesterday...2007 I think it was. It was interesting to see most of those who posted regularly back then have since vanished from the forum. Right enough, some didn't have any choice as they had been suspended.
ThatT1Feeling, PaulN, Stez and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:12 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
If anyone hates them I imagine it’s genuine frequent fliers.

They crowd the lounges, boarding queues, compete for acess to the same the pool of ‘special treatment or consideration’ and the exploitation of loopholes in routing or fares result in tightening and more stringent enforcement of dictatorial policies surrounding things like compensation, stopovers, re-routing/ticketing, interairlining,
NYLON Boy and vibrex like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by amt
If anyone hates them I imagine it’s genuine frequent fliers
Considering most of them get their fares paid for them by their employer, tough titty I say.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
I think BA will change the rules if they think people are getting status too easy. The threshold for gold used to be 800 TP in the EU but 1500 in the UK. They changed it a few years ago. They have changed the TP for really cheap tickets to make the status correspond more to the amount of money paid. They don't hate people doing TP runs but will adjust the benefits as they see fit.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:50 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Considering most of them get their fares paid for them by their employer, tough titty I say.
Everyone’s fares are paid for them by either their employer or another member of their families employer... unless you happen to be the queen, on benifits or a lottery winner.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
On an average week, 900,000 passengers land or depart from LHR, LGW, LCY and STN. So it's like BA are moving the entire population of Exeter every day of the week. So long as they get their 900k passengers (and they pay for the privilege), I doubt BA know or care what happens next.
I think this is a cracking post, I shouldn’t be surprised it’s C-W-S.

We are all, even CCR mega CIVs, very small beer for BA.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
If BA didn’t want travellers to TP run, they wouldn’t have membership tiers in the first place. I suspect that BA derives much income from travel that would no longer take place without the “carrot” of status and the comparatively small amount of money providing the benefits actually costs. If there is one thing I trust BA to do, it’s to produce the spreadsheet that shows the costs vs. benefits of all this and to adjust it as necessary.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:06 am

How much do TPs actually "cost" BA, in terms of lost revenue - very little, if anything. The tickets probably achieve the marginal cost of BA providing the service. Any opportunity cost (where we might have paid more for a non TP-run ticket) is likely to be very small in the grand scheme of things - tens of thousands perhaps.

How much would it cost BA to "stop" TP runs. That means needing to pay wages to people to devise 'better' pricing models / IT systems to deter TP runs - without impacting 'genuine' bookings. A couple of BAs, developers, testers etc. - and you're well into 6 figures already.

In short, it's probably a lot more expensive to stop TP runs, than to let them carry on - at least while TP runs remain at the margins.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
I’d guess, and it’s no more than that, we’ll see attempts to block some of the inventive routings. The inclusion of LHR-HEL-LHR in a single trip for example. I believe AA have already switched those LAX-PTY runs to have a 2 stop limit, removing the multi stops that generated better than $1 per TP bookings.
But like others have said I guess they just don’t care why you travel, they just want you to travel with them rather than someone else.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
My guess is that they prefer the business, just not too interested to have their tier used in other ways (OWE for example).

Which is why they have another super tier with Concorde room and all that. While it is possible to do a BA gold run, a GGL run is a pretty hectic undertaking.

But then compare to other OneWorld carriers, I'd say BAEC is probably among the most popular.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Guess the only segment of TP runners who might have a detrimental effect on BA profits are those based out of LAX, JFK, or MIA and flying primarily US domestic (I.e. use AA flagship lounges while not spending much with BA). But as many said, they constitute such a small share of BA passengers, that I would be surprised if BA ever takes any action (though reducing TPs on domestic F from 210 to 140 did hurt).
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:40 am
ECR

Originally Posted by luitje
Guess the only segment of TP runners who might have a detrimental effect on BA profits are those based out of LAX, JFK, or MIA and flying primarily US domestic (I.e. use AA flagship lounges while not spending much with BA). But as many said, they constitute such a small share of BA passengers, that I would be surprised if BA ever takes any action (though reducing TPs on domestic F from 210 to 140 did hurt).
Would this group not be profitable for IAG as a whole though, as they would be selling avios to AA everytime they flew using their BA number in the booking. The lounge access costs I think would be zero for BA, as AA would be responsible as it is an AA flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.