Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA F -Tear Point Run (literally) 2018's most Stressful Airport experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA F -Tear Point Run (literally) 2018's most Stressful Airport experience

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: BA gold
I nearly missed a flight on account of good company in the lounge when I met Uncle T and iWife for the first time when we were both going to Hawaii (different routings that day) at the T5B lounge and I happened to glance at the screens - the flight was already boarding!

A mad dash to C gates and yes, I was the last one to board. I met up with T8191 and iWife again in LAX, albiet briefly as he was in the J lounge as a mere silver while I was enjoying the flounge and did not want to repeat the almost-missed-flight experience again.

I wish my passport also looked as pristine as the OP's, mine is a bit of a dog's breakfast.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
On the flip side I get the impression that they announce "go to gate" and "boarding" very early precisely to sweep up those of us who might be distracted by the lounge, or shopping.

I once saw my evening Amsterdam flight which was departing from the C gates showing as boarding (rather suddenly as a few seconds earlier there hadn't even been a gate), so I gathered my stuff and walked briskly from Galleries F to the transit and then up to the C gates. I was reasonably confident that there wouldn't be a problem getting the flight, but clearly some fellow pax were in an utter panic as they barged past fellow passengers and ran like Usain Bolt, with arms and wheelie bags flailing, only to arrive at the gate to find that boarding had not in fact actually commenced ��
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
On the flip side I get the impression that they announce "go to gate" and "boarding" very early precisely to sweep up those of us who might be distracted by the lounge, or shopping.

I once saw my evening Amsterdam flight which was departing from the C gates showing as boarding (rather suddenly as a few seconds earlier there hadn't even been a gate), so I gathered my stuff and walked briskly from Galleries F to the transit and then up to the C gates. I was reasonably confident that there wouldn't be a problem getting the flight, but clearly some fellow pax were in an utter panic as they barged past fellow passengers and ran like Usain Bolt, with arms and wheelie bags flailing, only to arrive at the gate to find that boarding had not in fact actually commenced ��
The screens do take account of those who may get too comfortable in the lounges. The GF and CCR screens show flights as Boarding when the screens in the main T5A departure area still just show Go to Gate. Cant imagine why...
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I'm too much afraid to miss my flight... I check the departure time and screens a lot from 1 hour before departure time, and leave the lounge at boarding time at the latest.
But if the gate is far from the lounge or at satellite B/C at LHR T5, then I need to be already at the gate when boarding starts so I leave 15 to 20 min before it.
AlisonB84 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I have a similar story at T5 doing an RTW in F one weekend LHR-JFK-HKG-ICN-HKG-LHR.

I arrived about 2.5 hours before my flight. This was before the First wing existed, and at security I was unfortunately chosen for a secondary inspection on hand baggage. They were even slower than usual (hyper glacial) and there were two others in front of me, one of whom had pepper spray, which, being deemed a firearm in the UK, understandably attracted the attention of the rozzers.

Anyway, after quite some time enjoying the security fiasco, I settled myself at the bar counter in the CCR to enjoy a couple. Suddenly I realised the time was an hour ahead of what I thought.

I ran to the C gate for my departure, where there were still gate agents and the airbridge was attached, but all others had boarded and my boarding was declared a no go.

So I did the walk of shame back to the B gate lounge and was rebooked on the next flight an hour or so later, just enough time for another one in the CCR, then back to the C gates for another try, which was successful.

Thankfully Id built in enough buffer time to make my connection at JFK onto CX which was in the same terminal, but as there was no provision for connecting pax, I had to go landside after immigration only to go straight back in again.

The prize of around 35 hours on CX F was worth it though.

OldFruity likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:27 am

Oh dear, I hope your leg recovers. Merry Christmas and Happy new year. See you for a beer in GIB
OldFruity likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Long story short - OP made their flight to SYD.
"Long story short: Michael Corleone takes over the family business, becomes more ruthless than his father."

Sometimes the storytelling and the journey are part of the destination!
wrp96, :D! and OldFruity like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA:Gold; IHG: Platinum;
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
And a similar incident years ago is why I almost obsessively check the boards on arrival at the lounge and at least every 15 mins thereafter... glad you made it.
Obsessive checking doesn't always work if you're checking the wrong screen! I was in the middle of a tier point run, relaxing in some godforsaken lounge somewhere in Europe just playing round on the internet killing off the remaining time on a multi-hour connection before my next flight (to London). I was using a PC in the lounge, watching the clock on the PC and thinking how much time I still had to waste before slowly sauntering down to the gate. For want of anything better to do I checked the flight screen in the lounge only to find no sign whatsoever of my flight in the next hour or more. It probably took a good 20 seconds for me to realise that the PC's clock was an hour slow and that my flight's departure time had, in fact, itself departed 10 minutes earlier. My flight was on the flight screen in the lounge but right at the top, because the flight had been delayed - nothing to do with me, I eventually learned from the staff at the gate. Just like the OP it caused me massive panic and induced a mad dash from lounge to gate, where boarding had been completed 30 minutes earlier but the plane inexplicably still hadn't taken off and the gate was still open. I must have looked a complete idiot, breathlessly staggering to my seat when all those around me had been in their places for half an hour already, just waiting for take-off. The cabin door closed right behind me and the plane taxied out almost immediately - I could see at least a couple of passengers looking at me thinking that their delay had been caused by the pilot having to wait for this madman to make a delayed connection from another flight. I neither had enough breath, nor enough courage, to explain that the delay was nothing to do with me being an important passenger for whom the plane had to be delayed so that I'd make the connection, but that my dramatic, much delayed and very breathless arrival on the plane was totally caused by my own utter stupidity.

Moral of the story ... check, check and check again, especially when transiting, that you're sure how long it is before your flight leaves, and don't rely on strange PCs in an unfamiliar lounge.
OldFruity likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:22 pm

Location: Relocated to YYJ in 2017, got bored and moved to YVR
Programs: AC - Elite 50K, BA - down to Bronze, SQ - down to Silver, IHG - Platinum, Hilton - Diamond
Always good fun checking in on the Sunday morning when the clocks go forward.. Very entertaining when the group ahead of you are saying But our flight doesn t leave for over an hour and the lady behind the counter pointing out that its now 1010 and the flight is leaving at 1025.
OldFruity likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Don't feel too bad. I once showed up confidently expecting to check in my bag a few minutes before... what turned out to be the flight departure time, not the checkin close time.

I managed to get on the next flight to my destination.
OldFruity likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
What a laugh I've had today reading about you folk racing about, thank you
florens and OldFruity like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Funny thing, was I had the same BA11/15 last Sunday experience. Where I had to bash my head that it was 19.05 and not 20.05 which was take off in SIN and also be not distracted by the BA15 at 21.xx which until that morning I was booked on until GOT kindly let me split the flights.

This travel gets confusing.

enjoy sydney, the warmth and your flights back.
OldFruity likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
My festive thanks to all that have read and or contributed to this post. Cant cut n paste quotes at the Mo (IT numpty ) so shall perhaps answer any questions via PM. Just to say though that forums are a conduit for sharing and belonging through stories, experience's anecdotes or whatever. I see that this tale has resonated with a few on the Board and bought at least a smile to one face @anniegray.... . it is Christmas after all. IMO the BA forum is world class hence my continued presence on it and the odd contribution...even though I am definitely a minnow in traveller terms at only 150000 miles per annum. @PUCCI GALORE please note most of my GUF s are for 2 yet only one seat ever taken...Gig 103 nicely said.... my way of thinking....'Today we make Tomorrows memories of Yesterday'
If you havent been you should come - Gibraltar Mar 2019.

OF
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
I recommend TripIt Pro very highly - it's not 100% reliable in updating flight details if they change after submitting the e-ticket, but is useful if you keep an eye on it. Most helpful feature are emails and/or text messages (as selected in your profile) for (a) "Flight is on time" at T-4 followed by any updates about delays/re-timings, which they usually have sooner than departure boards, and information about gate and gate changes simultaneously or sometimes before the boards. The messages are independent of any local time you may have set (and got wrong) on your device, and unless you're passed out dead drunk in a lounge the arrival of a text message (free of course throughout the world) should be a sufficient nudge. US$49 a year is very good value in my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.