Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA F -Tear Point Run (literally) 2018's most Stressful Airport experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club

Thought Id relate this rather stressful /painful tale the circumstances of which were inadvertantly self imposed during a recent trip Downunder flying BA F Prg -Lhr- Sin- Syd. (MODs please move if others relate similar Tales of the Unexpected non BA orientated).I am not one for running in airports or anywhere else for that matter, but just over a week ago I had the (mis) pleasure of 'legging it' across a very busy T5 Lhr from a rather comfortable seat on the CCR terrace to Gate C63 in what could possibly be a new FT record! I had just ordered a BA burger and refill of LPGS when at 1835 I thought Id check the board for what I assumed (error) would be my BA 11 2005 departure to Sin - only to see the LAST CALL announced for the 1905 BA 11 departure ! .......(Guess I wont be needing the burger then). Ooops....and thats being polite as words (on a public forum at least) cant adequately describe the sheer terror / anxiety that ran through me ...FFS ... Dont panic and just Run.. But I panicked ....and ran like a headless chicken…so much so that having shot past reception and into the F lounge I had to ask how to actually get out of the CCR ( it was only my 3rd visit ). Yes now I remember left turn and the escalator...! My original plan had been to try out walking the tunnel to C gates after reading an in depth How To posted by C-W-S. However, no time for that on this ocassion. Luckily the transit was just about to leave as I bundled aboard and all up I arrived at the gate about 12-15 minutes after leaving the CCR terrace. However, as a consequence of my sprint across T5 the much looked forward to 2nd trip in F to Syd this year (GUF again - thank you FT)) was blighted by the pain of a pulled hamstring and calf muscle to the extent that 10 days later as I sit here in a rather sunny Australia typing this the dog is not a happy chappy as his much anticipated christmas walking schedule has been shot to bits.
Wont bore you with a TR as other BA Fs TR's have been penned for this popular route. But to see a 2K seat and BA F experience potentially disappearing down the plughole a week before Christmas as I tried to run throughT5 has been the most stressful moment of my travelling year to date. Reason for the mix up was my distraction with the delights of the CCR (LPGS) and social media. As a social self funded traveller, peers ,some colleagues and some rellies like a bit of vicarious travel so I often spend a bit of (read too much) time posting various pics comments etc when travelling backwards and forwards to Oz. On this occasion I grouped my tickets for a nice little F trip teaser and as you can see they were out of order. Consequently, whilst enjoying the relative luxury of the CCR I made a critical school boy error and inadvertantly transposed the Sin departure time with the Lhr departure time. Must say that I wasnt the last to board as some other pax were also running in the general direction of C63 as I overtook (hobbled past) them. Good flight though; nice seat, efficient friendly staff and nice food / drinks.
Moral of the story .. pay attention to detail (i.e. boarding times) and beware the distractions and comforts of the CCR and social media.
Look forward to seeing some of you in Gibraltar next year.
Happy Christmas and safe travels to all

Easily done 1905 swopped for 2005.

OF

Last edited by OldFruity; Dec 24, 2018 at 10:47 pm Reason: revised pic
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Oops, not something that's happened to me yet, but I hadn't noticed the BA11 / BA15 time transposition feature before either, so it's good to point that one out to the assembled congregation. It may save someone else's bacon. Or indeed bacon burger. Having said that, I bet you weren't the last passenger on board......

And despite being in Australia, Merry Christmas to you OldFruity, and I hope the injury repairs itself swiftly.
OldFruity and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I always knew that the benefits of exercise are grossly overstated. Should not run through terminals.

By the way... You carefully edited out your personal details in the picture, but everyone with a barcode scanner app on their phone will be able to get your full name, exec club number, pnr & routing just from the barcode. Better remove that too.
wrp96 and OldFruity like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I feel your pain. I once nearly missed a J flight home from SIN due to an excessive amount of time consuming refreshments and not paying much attention to the trivial matter of the time in the Singapore Airlines lounge. Who would have thought that champagne would have such a malign effect?
There is nothing quite like the discomfort that accompanies the “gate closing” notice on a monitor when you don’t know the location of a gate in vast and unfamiliar airport. I did my best Usain Bolt impression and arrived at the gate breathless boarding last with seconds to spare in a well refreshed but disheveled condition. I needed a good lie down after that and further refreshment before I felt ok again.
OldFruity, wrp96 and anniegray like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:42 am

And a similar incident years ago is why I almost obsessively check the boards on arrival at the lounge and at least every 15 mins thereafter... glad you made it.
OldFruity, wrp96 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Haha, don't feel bad! I hope your sore legs get better soon.

I nearly missed a flight because I remembered the departure time incorrectly. I remembered the arrival time as the departure time.

An colleague of mine missed a flight along with another colleague because they were really engrossed in a conversation at T5 F lounge. Both are rather seasoned travellers... it still happened.

We all (maybe not all!) do those things from time to time, and get to entertain others at our own cost.
OldFruity and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 24, 2018 at 5:06 am
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
New world record was set in Oslo this morning. Woke up and noticed plane was departing in 35 minutes. Made it.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:04 am

Long story short - OP made their flight to SYD.
Gino Troian, kosy91 and Swampz64 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:23 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Dear OldFruity, what you describe is my Bete Noire. I am probably unique in the fact that I think that there should be far more screens. It is far too easy t get lulled into thinking that one has more time than one has. Him Indoors thinks that I rush to gates far too quickly. I am one of those people who prefer being where I am supposed to be early rather than any rushing at the last minute. Secondly, thank you for not boring us with a tedious Trip Report particularly those filled with photos of absolutely everything except an ounce of wit or sparkle. You clearly have both of these in abundance and irony as well. Actually anything you write might be entertaining and that would be a first.
I am a SRN - I kept up my qualifiactions - and I would be happy to be your personal carer flying in the row behind. Him Indoors can live on beans,

A Very Happy Christmas, Honey!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
My running story involves a 10 min jog through Zurich getting off a rather later NYC inbound connecting onto a flight back to Malaga.

With the clock against us my wife and I were confronted by a queue of boarders criss crossing our lane at another gate as we were entering the back straight.. In a scene reminiscent of Gibbs from NCIS I hollered "MAKE A HOLE" and the tide parted like Moses himself was there. We never broke stride and arrived on time as the doors closed around us.

The look of their faces as we barrelled down towards them will be ever etched in my happy merories ...
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
I once did a marathon OSL-LHR-SIN-PER-ADL-MEL. By the time I got to ADL I was completely knackered and fearing that I would fall asleep in the lounge I had the brilliant idea of going to sit at the gate for my 90 minute wait.

From a deep sleep my brain was trying to nudge me awake because it could hear my name being called. Suddenly I woke up, sat up and there were people all sitting around me wondering why I was looking so frantic. Again I heard "Would Ginger50 please go immediately to gate 14 which is about to close" I looked up, I was at Gate 6.... eek, they had changed gate while I was asleep! A sprint down the terminal followed by the walk of shame and I made the flight.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
It’s a good job that you checked!! I suspect some kind of intuition / back of your mind somewhere you knew your thought process had gone awry.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
It’s a good job that you checked!! I suspect some kind of intuition / back of your mind somewhere you knew your thought process had gone awry.
I once nearly had a "near miss" until that intuition kicked in!!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Glad you got there ok!

Do you have the BA app on your phone? It should buzz with a notification when a flight starts boarding and provide that vital stimulus to check the departure time.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Before arriving at the lounge I always now set an alarm using CWS' very helpful guide of when to leave the lounge prior to departure - 27 mins to A gates, 33 mins to B gates and 37 mins to C gates - after a very similar mix up between the later departing EZE flight (my final destination) and the earlier GRU flight (my intermediate destination) caused me to leave a brown patch on the CCR sofa followed by a breathless sprint with my mother to C-gates. This was a good few years back and she still hasn't forgiven me!

Those times work perfectly and generally get me to the gate as boarding is underway so no waiting around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.