Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

is there an EX-US loophole similar to the EX-EU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is there an EX-US loophole similar to the EX-EU?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:22 am

Ex EU is cheaper to compete for flyers with airfrance, KLM, Lufthansa etc which is not the case in the US. I have not found flights to be significantly cheaper on BA except in cities where it is clear there is a corporate contract (see BOS-BCN on Iberia or BOS-NRT on JAL for 8,000-11,000 routinely in J). The better comparison is to evaluate flights out of smaller cities in your area, or out of a DL or UA hub. For example, AUS-DFW-xxx is usually much cheaper than DFW-xxx because of the competition in AUS and lack of a fortress hub there.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by footballfanatic
.... The better comparison is to evaluate flights out of smaller cities in your area, or out of a DL or UA hub. For example, AUS-DFW-xxx is usually much cheaper than DFW-xxx because of the competition in AUS and lack of a fortress hub there.
I think this is the key. Ex-Eu often requires an overnight stop, so consider an overnight stop at ORD and get the daytime AA flight to LHR, PE may be comfortable enough.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:52 am

Surely everywhere in the world has this? It's not a loophole, you are paying less for a less convenient routing in comparison to the locsl competition. That principle applies almost anywhere.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Yes, usually by carriers competing in a " not natural" market.
As noted by a few posters above, AC offers very reasonable fares at times from US cities to Asia that can be 60-70% of the fare offered from YYZ or YVR
UA/DL sometimes offer fares from YYZ to Asia that are much cheaper than those from ORD or SFO.
Some of the cheapest fares from Canada to Asia are with AY, and occasionally with KL.
MU and CZ often offer low fares from North America to South East Asia ( CGK, SIN, BKK) for much less than the fares to their hubs.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, there is. Pricing from Canada or Mexico will obviously be different than from the U.S., so I'm sure that if you're willing to start from YYZ or MEX instead of JFK directly to LHR, there may be some good deals to be had - same as for different markets in Europe. As others have said upthread, it's not a loophole, just different pricing for different markets.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I also replied to the thread started by @ginger50 and my reply is here where I said that booking with a UK POS via AA's UK site was sometimes cheaper than via www.aa.com but also that I was starting to do more nested flights where I'd book one US - UK return but everything between those dates would be UK - US - UK to benefit from cheaper fares and lower taxes.

I may start looking at flying with AC too if their flights really are that much cheaper, and so looking at cutting back on J travel and doing more in WT+ / PE where AA's P class fares can offer excellent value for money.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thank you all for the replies! Lots of good tips and yes, Loophole was probably not the best way to describe it. Anyways, I wanna take a moment and celebrate the very first time a thread I started reached page 2 on the forum. hahah

again, thank you all!

So far I've tried the Canada routing and it definitely has some cheaper fares from there, though, not sure it can justify a $300-ish positioning flight?
LAX-LHR-LIN runs around $3700 in april. Vancouver-LHR-LIN is about $2900, so significantly lower but once i have to account for $300 positioning flight, not so much. Plus LAX to Canada is about 3 hours, not really a short hop.

I'll try via Mexico!

When I tried from smaller cities within US, the price difference wasn't that much lower unfortunately.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Centurion, HH Diam
Difference is often small as you noted - but from a TP point of view, it could be an extra 80 to go to LAS and start there.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by hyperspace
Thank you all for the replies! Lots of good tips and yes, Loophole was probably not the best way to describe it. Anyways, I wanna take a moment and celebrate the very first time a thread I started reached page 2 on the forum. hahah

again, thank you all!

So far I've tried the Canada routing and it definitely has some cheaper fares from there, though, not sure it can justify a $300-ish positioning flight?
LAX-LHR-LIN runs around $3700 in april. Vancouver-LHR-LIN is about $2900, so significantly lower but once i have to account for $300 positioning flight, not so much. Plus LAX to Canada is about 3 hours, not really a short hop.

I'll try via Mexico!

When I tried from smaller cities within US, the price difference wasn't that much lower unfortunately.
So you're just looking at BA from North America? This has no relation at all to the ex-EU deals then, you're just looking for an airport with cheaper fares than LAX - in which case, just check everywhere!

(To clarify, ex-EU adds an additional flight to the beginning of the wanted LON-XXX fare to make it cheaper, this is just shopping around)
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Centurion, HH Diam
There's a bit to be saved from different airports in the US, but there is a LOT more to be saved by looking at different final destinations in Europe. For example TIA seems a cheap destination from LAX. Haven't checked the fare for stopover rules etc, but you could go past TIA either out or back and take a stopover in LHR to go where you needed. Google flights is actually pretty good for exploring different destinations.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Xonus
There's a bit to be saved from different airports in the US, but there is a LOT more to be saved by looking at different final destinations in Europe. For example TIA seems a cheap destination from LAX. Haven't checked the fare for stopover rules etc, but you could go past TIA either out or back and take a stopover in LHR to go where you needed. Google flights is actually pretty good for exploring different destinations.
oh that's a very interesting option I never thought about. Always thought of looking at creative way to start the journey to make it cheaper, not looking for alternatively destinations in Europe. Very clever. Will check that as well.

So you're just looking at BA from North America? This has no relation at all to the ex-EU deals then, you're just looking for an airport with cheaper fares than LAX - in which case, just check everywhere!

(To clarify, ex-EU adds an additional flight to the beginning of the wanted LON-XXX fare to make it cheaper, this is just shopping around)
not sure what you meant with this comment, but the basic question I was asking is if there's a similar pattern of cheaper fares EX-US achieved, like you said, by adding a flight at the beginning of the wanted LAX-XXX or other port in US in a similar way EX-EU are described on this forum
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
The ex EU US equivalents appear to be down in the Caribbean, although they really only seem to work when booked as an AA codeshare. For example I am actually down in the Caribbean and may need to book something later this week back to London. I can get an A class (First) O/W fare on a BA flight booked as an AA codeshare for £3,000 inc the Caribbean - MIA leg in J. That's pretty good compared to a single BA ticket MIA-LHR in any premium cabin.

Ex SJU fares used to be steal, but are much less usable now that AA no longer has a hub there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.