Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Interesting Court Decision In Germany - Passenger does not need to fly last leg

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Court Decision In Germany - Passenger does not need to fly last leg

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
As an update to this thread. Lufthansa today rescinded their appeal of the lower court judgement after receiving indications they would lose the case. A judgement against them in the higher court would have set precedent and it is generally felt here in Germany that they were very keen to avoid that.

So, end of the discussion on whether skipping the last sector is morally wrong, fraud or whatever some other posters have referred to it as. Well, for tickets purchased in Germany at least.
PAL62V, IndyHoosier, Shl and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
... So, end of the discussion on whether skipping the last sector is morally wrong, fraud or whatever some other posters have referred to it as. Well, for tickets purchased in Germany at least.
I disagree. The law has not been clarified and no binding precedent has been set, simply that LH have withdrawn their appeal.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I disagree. The law has not been clarified and no binding precedent has been set, simply that LH have withdrawn their appeal.
My point was exactly that Lufthansa withdrew their appeal so as to avoid precedent being set. There has been so much publicity surrounding this case in Germany, mostly negative towards Lufthansa, that not getting the precedent in their favour will surely embolden those passengers thinking of dropping final sectors.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:38 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
A judgement against them in the higher court would have set precedent and it is generally felt here in Germany that they were very keen to avoid that.
I thought there was no Stare in civil law jurisdictions like Germany. Don't get me wrong tho, I'd love dropping sectors legalised in Hong Kong.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
I thought there was no Stare in civil law jurisdictions like Germany.
Not formally but the reality is not very different from common law jurisdictions in that respect: civil law jurisdictions are not formally bound by precedent from either themselves or higher courts but, in practice, they follow them. You could not have a legal order in which courts decide cases in a certain way on one day and a totally different way the next. A reasonable degree of consistency is essential in law so even if you do not have a formal legal obligation to follow precedent, the instinct to follow precedent is in the DNA of most courts and judges. And where there are persistent disagreement between different courts at the same level (or different formations within a court), sooner or later the matter is normally brought higher up in the judicial hierarchy of courts to settle the issue precisely because the situation where courts adopt different decisions on the same issue is normally regarded as unsustainable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.