Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No more champagne - we’d have to open another bottle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more champagne - we’d have to open another bottle

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
(Deep breath .....)

Ok, I’ll take the flak for the team.

OP, are you sure the comment was directly related to the opening of another bottle of champagne? It wasn’t a poorly worded way of declining you another drink?
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I've had one post on the BA forum deleted because I dared to mention it may be a cultural thing.
So at the risk of having a permanent ban, I will make an observation that by asking questions, that are in fact meant to be statements, can lead to all sorts of confusion and disappointment.
In this case. I would have found it hard to say I still wanted the second class, therefore it was unprofessional on the part of the crew.

Last edited by wxman22; Dec 8, 2018 at 7:04 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
wow, really tell them don't worry you will have another glass when the plane is in the air!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Hobo1888
It is rare the glass is filled up pre-departure but rather has a mere inch or maybe two in it.
Well, an inch at the bottom of the glass certainly is unacceptable; but I would suggest that a full glass of any wine isn't the appropriate way to serve it, either.
SK and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:55 pm

Last flight in CW from the US the FAs didn’t even bring out the bubbly unless you specifically asked for it. Hoping that is a one off. It’s also completely gone from WTP predeparture.

Heck even getting more than a tiny glass of water is now a headache. I asked for some still water and the FA pointed out I had a bottle in my seat and walked away. That’s today’s BA.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Very surprising!

I've had CC open a new bottle just before seatbelt signs come on to give me 1 glass, knowing full well the rest of the bottle was going to waste.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Wow, SUCH a tragic event to happen. However will one survive such injustice?!

dnwaldmann likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by krispy84
(Deep breath .....)

OP, are you sure the comment was directly related to the opening of another bottle of champagne? It wasn’t a poorly worded way of declining you another drink?
I’m afraid even I can’t get inebriated on a single glass of champagne.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by krispy84
(Deep breath .....)

I’m afraid even I can’t get inebriated on a single glass of champagne.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:53 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Sounds like you had disinterested crew. I asked for some champagne with 15 min to landing from LHR-HEL in CE a couple of days ago and it was no trouble at all for a fresh bottle to be opened.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I though the bars were segregated between the duty paid for the PDB on the ground, and duty free for inflight service? Has the duty paid stock level been reduced?
That could be the case. But I've always wondered...who checks what was drunk as PDB? Who would ever know what amounts were consumed on the ground compared to inflight? If the CC is so concerned at saving her/his employer's money then simply mark it down as inflight. Not that I'd encourage this sort of behaviour of course.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jed
Sounds like you had disinterested crew. I asked for some champagne with 15 min to landing from LHR-HEL in CE a couple of days ago and it was no trouble at all for a fresh bottle to be opened.
I think your scenario is entirely different from OPs predeparture drink. My suspicion is that once you opened a bottle of bubbly on the ground, you can not serve it once airbourne. So a whole bottle is wasted just for one glass to OP.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
In a recent FT survey thread, many members here commented (as I did myself) that - notwithstanding the disappointments in hard product and general direction taken by BA’s CEO in recent times - most CC employed by BA try their very best to deliver the sort of service to be expected in premium cabins, where fare levels are commonly several times those of economy.

That said, there will always be exceptions, and this doesn’t strike me as the ideal way to respond to a passenger’s request :

Originally Posted by Vgravity

Asked for a second glass pre-take off in CW to CPT.

“Sorry Sir, I’d have to open another bottle, so do you mind if we don’t serve you?”

Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
I think your scenario is entirely different from OPs predeparture drink. My suspicion is that once you opened a bottle of bubbly on the ground, you can not serve it once airbourne. So a whole bottle is wasted just for one glass to OP.
That an interesting thought. I can see why the opposite may be true but I can't think of any reason why a duty paid bottle couldn't be finished in the air.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
My suspicion is that once you opened a bottle of bubbly on the ground, you can not serve it once airbourne. So a whole bottle is wasted just for one glass to OP.
Why can’t you consume in the air a bottle of bubbly that’s been open on the ground? Yes an extra bottle opened on the ground attracts tax, but surely whop on a champagne stopper and it’ll taste just as good later in the air!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.