Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA first vs Qatar Qsuite IAH - DEL - IAH

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Based on my first trip in First last week and a few previous trips in various QR J seats I'd go for QR here.

BA F is definitely better than QR J, but not by much. I'd prefer one longer flight for a better chance at a decent sleep, and there is (to me at least) a significant difference in price in QR's favour.

If you particularly need the TPs then maybe BA, but that's approx £1000 for 440TP extra, so not exactly cheap
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Unless you like sitting in a giant stone space on separate chairs careful to present visible daylight between you and any partner, and having to go to the crowded eating areas at each end for anything other than tea/coffee, I'd rate the Concorde Room better than the Doha business lounge (Al Mourjan). Al Mourjan looks great on architecture-design photos, but the actual facilities are sparse: long waits for showers, very bland and overall mediocre food, you certainly aren't encouraged to carry an alcoholic drink or any food (except pastries) away from the eating areas, and everywhere except the central seating area with not amenities gets very crowded at the peak connection periods.

On board Qatar aren't the greatest - competent at their formula and definitely very rarely "bad", but rarely "good" either - and the food is bland and repetitive. BA F can go bad, but it usually goes OK and can go very well. It's not ideal that you may have to assert you wish to dine on demand later, but you can do so and it will not be denied. BA F seats are much more comfortable than QR seats, especially if you're tall (the QR 777 seats, the B/E ones, are OK for tall people but the 787 ones are actively uncomfortable).

So, BA F if a grand doesn't matter, QR if it does and accept the "always ok, never great" product.

So if I easily had the extra grand to spend, I'd go BA F every day.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:16 pm

Having just travelled in the Q Suites for the first time, I would definitely recommend them if you are taking the infant. The double bed Q suite gives you so much more space with a baby and allows baby to sleep between the adults while you eat even when the seat belt sign is on. The F bassinets are rubbish (and not suitable for children under about 6 months) so Qatar wins that one. Oh and the T4 lounge is awesome!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
While the QSuites are very good, the issue here is your date of travel.

The one rule I always preach with QR, is never to book a flight based on the aircraft. As such, to expect the QSuite routes not to change, is misguided I fear.

Even on routes where QSuites are promoted, there is still a 25% chance that the aircraft will change - and indeed they do change pretty regularly at present.

Over the next 8 months, more and more airframes will be delivered/converted to QSuites, but it's a big risk.

If subbed, you risk a standard 777 or A359. Compared to BA F, the BA product is better.

M
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
Just an update. I am actually based in Austin and we are not taking the baby.

I ran across this fare though for $4831 in first class. I don't know if Amex can discount it more since there is an American flight included. Thoughts on this vs Qsuite for roughly $4500 out of either IAH or DFW. The idea of crediting to Alaska makes it interesting. I can get my myself to DFW for $250 total on American or heck I might do Vonlane and then uber. Out of IAH, we would just drive.

Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
QRs hard product is very dependent on the aircraft you fly on. The old 2x2x2 seats in J are not good in my view and always a possibility if you have a 777 scheduled for the flight. The seat on BA in F varies in my opinion from ok (B747) to excellent (A380 / B787). In all cases it provides more space than any J seat I've ever travelled in.
As far as service goes there is always some variation, slightly more so on BA I've found. However and this may be a deal breaker for some, I've never had a good cup of tea on QR but I have on BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.