Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA first vs Qatar Qsuite IAH - DEL - IAH

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:14 am

With the options presented by the OP, I would probably opt for the BA F option. Despite being a QR fan, there are two main points:
  1. The IAH-DOH and DOH-IAH are just too long for me to be on an aircraft and I would be driven demented - the BA option breaks up the journey more to my preferences for sector length
  2. The BA F hard product is better than QR 777 J (in my opinion)
The trade-off is the soft product, which (again in my opinion) is better on QR J than BA F.
mikeyfly and AnaTravel like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
Wow thanks for all of the input! I wonder if I can get it priced to do one way on each carrier. Best of both worlds!
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You're right and others are wrong then? The "truth" in my opinion is that there's not much difference. The seats on the B787/A350 were more comfortable than BA F, and the food was a lot better. I've not tried the Q Suite yet.
Particularly on a flight this long, I find QR's dine-on-demand to be significantly more useful than BA's dine-when-the-crew-demands.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
Wow thanks for all of the input! I wonder if I can get it priced to do one way on each carrier. Best of both worlds!
I can't find a BA fare that is combinable with a non-BA fare on that route. You can price it as 2 one ways, of course, but it'll be a very expensive ticket.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:05 am

I also think that the QR soft product is better. For some reason I find BA First seats to be uncomfortable and a bit hard. The food in QR J is much better than on BA. QR J seats are comfortable for me - even in regional first. I have never had a problem with food on QR. BA F - I've never had a meal that was memorable for good reasons. BA need to drop or change the very sad amuse-gueule . Hopefully, BA will revamp menus soon. If Q Suites were available on the route, I'd probably opt for them. I have to always factor in timing and convenience based on where I live though. Good luck, NDTraveler.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
I called and I can't mix the fares at the same pricing. The timing is almost identical in terms of arrival/departures.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
I fly BA F regularly, and recently went LHR/DOH/DPS and back a couple of months ago on QR. I had Q suites LHR/DOH and the 777 business class on to DPS. If the question the OP asked was about BA business class vs QR, I'd say QR. But First is a different issue. For a start in First, you can dine when you want, as on QR. Personally, I think the food in BA First is superior to QR, and there is more space around you, I think, even than in a Q suite. First is FAR superior to QR business if not in a Q suite. I was very disappointed with the DOH/DPS 777 business class, although I did manage to sleep a lot in both directions. So, on that basis and with the tier point difference, I'd say BA.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
I just did a somewhat similar route last month, DFW - LHR - BOM on AA/BA in J. I preferred having two segments of about the same length, especially on the return. For me, 4 hours on a plane starting at 3:30 in the morning is not long enough to sleep, and too long to just sit there. Another factor in my choice of AA/BA was the time of departure from BOM. I would prefer to be settled in in my J/F seat at 2:00 than waiting in a DEL lounge for a 3:30 flight. Assuming everything at LHR goes through terminal 5, the BA route is what I would choose.
secretbunnyboy likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:10 pm

I know this is in the BA forum, but if you credit BA F to AS, you can earn >80K miles each, more than enough for some incredible redemptions. QR doesn't have anywhere close as lucrative of options to credit FF miles to.

Even taking into account Tier Points, I would still take BA F and credit to AS as that seems much more valuable to me.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by DominicB
I fly BA F regularly, and recently went LHR/DOH/DPS and back a couple of months ago on QR. I had Q suites LHR/DOH and the 777 business class on to DPS. If the question the OP asked was about BA business class vs QR, I'd say QR. But First is a different issue. For a start in First, you can dine when you want, as on QR. Personally, I think the food in BA First is superior to QR, and there is more space around you, I think, even than in a Q suite. First is FAR superior to QR business if not in a Q suite. I was very disappointed with the DOH/DPS 777 business class, although I did manage to sleep a lot in both directions. So, on that basis and with the tier point difference, I'd say BA.
QR squeeze 24 Q suites into the same space BA fit 14 F seats so there is certainly more space and crucially for many, the feeling of space
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CCayley

With the greatest respect, if you really think that (210 + 210) x 2 = (160 + 40) x 2 you should consider suing your maths teacher!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Not quite, the QR service is in business, so 140 160 TP for the first leg and 40 for the next. Whereas BA is 210 + 210. Plus the 777 would be a risk to my mind in terms of hard product.
Duh, of course. Clearly wasn’t paying any attention when I wrote that.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just as a footnote - was on QR from LHR to SIN last night and there were Q suites on both legs - the second of which was an A350 so the rollout is definitely under way. Very minor differences to the 777 Q suites (buttons/controls) and every bit as good.

Id also add that if the OP is a wine buff, that’s another point in favour of BA. QR wines much less impressive and the red was ice cold.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'm one who would choose QR on this. I do think that the BA F service is a clear notch above QR J, but I really do like the Q suites. They offer a lot more privacy than any BA F seat. While it is critical to remember that substitutions and aircraft changes are very frequent on QR, I would hope that the ultra long routes like the Australian and US routes which have now switched to the Q suites - are here to stay. European Q Suite flights are much more touch and go.

Unlike others, I also actually prefer a very long flight and a shortish long haul to two "medium length" ones as I find it a lot easier to have a proper night sleep on the very long flights. Transfer at DOH is also smoother and QR may well extend their stopover promotion which would enable you to include a one night stop in between the two flights paid for by then (note that this currently ends on 31/12 so may not be extended, but every previous extension - and there have been several in a row - was only confirmed a few days before the expiry date so there is a decent chance that this will occur again).

Frankly though, either choice will be a fine way to fly.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:12 am

Neither are significantly better or worse than the other in my experience, with one exception - the BA F seat on the 747. Nice to be in the nose but aside from that its cramped even for a J seat these days. Crew on QR are more consistent and i prefer the food which on BA, like the crew, can be hit or miss. I'd save the money personally.

The DOH lounge is also quite the experience if you've never been before.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:15 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
If the flight is for a year from now, there is a chance that QR will not be in Oneworld (i know, i know, the pull out this threat frequently), so if avios and TPs are a consideration that is worth factoring in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.