Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA removes A class on the BOS and DXB routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA removes A class on the BOS and DXB routes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mixbury
The reverse is equally true, it pays for what they allow you to use it for.

<diplomatic>
The last 20 years has brought a lot of disruption to airlines, including F cabins; the improvement to J seats, the rise of the ME3, and the changes in travel policies have all contributed. During the same period, the internet has given rise to travel bloggers and sites like FT where gaming reward schemes is the daily activity. Now I have no issue with passengers playing by the rules and making best use of reward schemes, good luck to them, but there are existential questions about the purpose of F, and to my mind the loss of exclusivity is an issue.
</diplomatic>
No need to be coy, you should explain what you mean by exclusivity?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by sxc
If this becomes more widespread, is it going to affect the AONE RTW products?
Originally Posted by jetsetter1k
Yes that's a very good question. I fly this route often in using the AONE product.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
But will effect AONE & other Axxxx Oneworld fares. No A fare bucket = not available for RTW tickets.
Exactly. With A fares, airlines were able to limit the number of OneWorld Explorer and other similarly heavily discounted seats which were available in the F cabin. With the elimination of these different fares classes, if they allowed F seats to be sold on AONEx fares in the only existing F fare bucket, they would be looking at the possibility that they might sell every F seat on a popular flight for a small fraction of the full F fare, even without considering the cost of the occasional errors like RGN, CAI and SEZ. Moreover, if they were to allow AONEx fares to be sold in the F bucket, that would require rewriting the relevant sections of the OWE rules, which would require the agreement of all other airlines. Without going too far down the speculation road, this approach could spread to other airlines as well, effectively eliminating (or at least substantially reducing) the value of first class OWE fares.

Originally Posted by Calchas
Does moving to one inventory class in First mean only flexible fares are available in the GDS?
No. We will be maintaining semi-flex fares which will maintain the A-class fare basis code but will now be bookable in F (the only remaining RBD in First). The availability of these fares will depend on the availability in the Club World cabin, as will some of the new Fully Flexible fares which will have an F- Fare Basis Code. You will be able to continue to use existing Branded Fares entries to differentiate between these two products. Please contact your pricing system provider for details of the required Branded Fares pricing entries.
Seems like not much to worry about, probably an opportunity to get the extra Avios F bonus over A class if anything.

BA can fix that if they wish by updating the booking code exceptions table to allow the use of the F bucket for AONEx fares. It's quite straightforward.
Yes, they can, but the question is whether they will. I can't help but wonder whether this is a way for BA to eliminate its exposure to future problems like RGN, CAI, and, most recently, SEZ type problems.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
It seems like they are trying to implement a system where a seat in First will never be cheaper than a seat in CW
Couldn't that be done using prices? E.g., if cheap CW fares are sold out on a flight, have that trigger an increase in the cost of cheap F fares (or a reduction in A availability)?

Originally Posted by pennineuk
If you read the full text on the trade website you will realise this is a consequence of moving from ancient (in IT terms) selling systems into the modern era (NDC technology be at the heart of the change).

NDC technology enables BA to have a much finer grained level of fares than linking just to fare classes. You already get this on many sites using NDC, including BA.com, where several different fares can map to the same letter class. The trade site goes on to say that the number of inventory buckets in F is going up from 5 to 6!
Why do they need to remove A inventory in order to do this? If they already have multiple fares that book into the same inventory, how does removing an inventory help?
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
I was just told by head of revenue management that they only drop the letter a because they need a wider variety for fare classes than the alphabet .
​​​​​​The fare will remain .
Well, fine, but how does dropping an inventory bucket help?

Does moving to one inventory class in First mean only flexible fares are available in the GDS?

No. We will be maintaining semi-flex fares which will maintain the A-class fare basis code but will now be bookable in F (the only remaining RBD in First). The availability of these fares will depend on the availability in the Club World cabin, as will some of the new Fully Flexible fares which will have an F- Fare Basis Code.
So Axxx fares will now book into F, but how is that better for BA RM?

Seems like not much to worry about, probably an opportunity to get the extra Avios F bonus over A class if anything.
Would they continue treating F as a higher earning category under this scheme, or might they switch to using the fare basis code or something? BA doesn't seem like an airline that would want to award extra points.

BA can fix that if they wish by updating the booking code exceptions table to allow the use of the F bucket for AONEx fares. It's quite straightforward.
Yes, and let's hope that happens, but that also means that availability is not restricted; if there are open F seats, an A fare can be booked. That seems a surprising move for an airline.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by anabolism
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
I was just told by head of revenue management that they only drop the letter a because they need a wider variety for fare classes than the alphabet .
Remember that's only being dropped from what the public can see using conventional tools (I'm waiting for the first appearance of the word "legacy" in this context). If BA is increasing the number of booking classes to something like 45, I think that we can expect to see any number of changes of practice from what we've been used to seeing in the past.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by sxc
If this becomes more widespread, is it going to affect the AONE RTW products?
Originally Posted by jetsetter1k
Yes that's a very good question. I fly this route often in using the AONE product.
Veering off topic, but I was researching DONEx fares recently (and surprised how reasonable they are ex-LON and ex-TYO), and noticed that I no longer see AA publishing AONEx fares in a lot of markets. Have others noticed anything similar?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
With A fares, airlines were able to limit the number of OneWorld Explorer and other similarly heavily discounted seats which were available in the F cabin.
The purpose of this is to expand the number of classes available. After this change, BA will have six different first class buckets for the purposes of regulating capacity, but all fares will book into F.

Moreover, if they were to allow AONEx fares to be sold in the F bucket, that would require rewriting the relevant sections of the OWE rules, which would require the agreement of all other airlines.
Only requires a change to the booking exceptions table. Other carriers have exceptions for specific routes already.

I can't help but wonder whether this is a way for BA to eliminate its exposure to future problems like RGN, CAI, and, most recently, SEZ type problems.
Forgive me but that sounds preposterous. If BA was really worried about that, which can only account for a tiny fraction of first class seats sold every year, it would stop participating in the AONEx products, instead of redesigning its entire fare ladder in every cabin.

In reality I suspect this change was made without even considering the AONEx family.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why do they need to remove A inventory in order to do this? If they already have multiple fares that book into the same inventory, how does removing an inventory help?[/left]

So Axxx fares will now book into F, but how is that better for BA RM?

Would they continue treating F as a higher earning category under this scheme, or might they switch to using the fare basis code or something? BA doesn't seem like an airline that would want to award extra points.

Yes, and let's hope that happens, but that also means that availability is not restricted; if there are open F seats, an A fare can be booked. That seems a surprising move for an airline.
I suspect, eventually:
* “A” becomes primarily a Club World bucket (business class).
* There will exist A- fares for business class use.
* There will exist A- fares for first class use (and C- fares and D- fares and R- fares too for first class use)
* Use of a first class A fare will require inventory in both F and A buckets. Similar to instant upgrade fares common in North America.

There is a change over period with no A availability to prevent confusion about whether “A” means J or F.

Last edited by Calchas; Dec 7, 2018 at 9:39 am
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
I suspect, eventually:
* There will exist A- fares for first class use (and C- fares and D- fares and R- fares too for first class use)
* Use of a first class A fare will require inventory in both F and A buckets. Similar to instant upgrade fares common in North America.

There is a change over period with no A availability to prevent confusion about whether “A” means J or F.
So, after separating the F cabin from A bucket seats (AXIT), there will follow a transitional period with more confusing fares?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Blumie
Veering off topic, but I was researching DONEx fares recently (and surprised how reasonable they are ex-LON and ex-TYO), and noticed that I no longer see AA publishing AONEx fares in a lot of markets. Have others noticed anything similar?
I haven't seen that. Can you give an example?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I suspect, eventually:

I like that - it sounds quite plausible. There may be advantages in day-to-day flight management doing it that way rather than with A in the regular first class cabin (although I am not quite sure exactly how spell these benefits out yet my gut is telling me they are there).
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
No need to be coy, you should explain what you mean by exclusivity?
The dictionary definition will suffice.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:39 pm

I am just about to book and pay for a trip from BOS to LHR in first class and I was planning on paying the lowest fare possible; does this change mean that I should book before the 10th? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but I don't want to book on the 11th and pay more than I would have paid on the 9th!
t4wine likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
If BA was really worried about that, which can only account for a tiny fraction of first class seats sold every year, it would stop participating in the AONEx products, instead of redesigning its entire fare ladder in every cabin.

In reality I suspect this change was made without even considering the AONEx family.
Without necessarily agreeing with the post you were responding to, I'd be surprised if BA didn't think about the impact of this change on the AONEx product. It's certainly possible, but I'd be surprised. Also, I'd be surprised if the OneWorld agreements allow a member to simply opt-out of one of the OneWorld products. Again, I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised.

I haven't seen that. Can you give an example?
I can't. Clearly user error. (And in verifying that it was user error, I see that TYO is a good place to start an AONEx itinerary. Anything cheaper nowadays?)
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:43 am

This is related to introducing additional price points on longhaul flights. So A class and S and Q class are repurposed for a trial of additional price points on these routes. Its similiar to dual inventory fares in wtp and club currently.
Additional price points were introduced earlier this year on shorthaul where BA added WETP ‘trigger’ classes. Note that your flight would never book into this class but rather the availability of these ‘trigger’ classes affects the price available. So you may have say O booking class available but its price now varies because of WETP availability. If you look at fare basis the WETP trigger class would show as the second letter. So a OVOR fare basis could also be OPVOR OTVOR OEVOR or OWVOR.

It seems like A S and Q will become ‘trigger’ classes on longhaul.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Received just now:
Dear Customer

We're writing to let you know that we are making some operational changes on our flights to and from Dubai that will impact your upcoming booking.

As we action these changes, you may receive an email notifying you that your seat reservation has changed. It may also appear, when you view your booking online, as if your flight details have also changed.

Please rest assured that your booking and seat reservation will remain and you do not need to take any action. We are looking forward to welcoming you on board and our systems will be updated shortly.

Your updated booking will soon be available to view along with all your other trip information here.

If you do need to contact us to discuss any aspects of your booking you can find details of how to do this here.

If you did not book directly with British Airways, please contact your travel agent.

Warm Regards,

British Airways Customer Service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.