Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA removes A class on the BOS and DXB routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA removes A class on the BOS and DXB routes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Airprox
They haven't removed discounted F fares, the fares are still there and the same as before, they just book into F class now instead of A.
I'm confused. I thought A was discounted and had change fees, etc. and F was full flex. How can both now be the same bucket?

Genuinely interested.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I'm confused. I thought A was discounted and had change fees, etc. and F was full flex. How can both now be the same bucket?

Genuinely interested.
It is not the fare bucket that determines the flexibility, change fees, fare conditions etc.

F, A, Z etc just determine the availability, for example how many seats BA want to sell in those buckets, but the fare rules (e.g. F1N0C0S0 for LON-JFK in full fare F) is the part that determines how (in-)flexible the fare is, how much it costs to change, if it is refundable etc.

Hope this very, very basic explanation helps
Tobias-UK, Wozza2404 and Calchas like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BA GGL
I agree. It's a perplexing move that won't affect many customers, sure, but for those who it will affect (i.e. me) it will arguably make them reconsider which carrier to use and when. If it's rolled out across the whole network and GUF rules aren't adjusted in a positive way then I'd only intentionally run with BA to Gold (not GL), largely through short haul, then pursue VS Gold through long haul in addition.

The argument is that this A fare removal isn't BA devaluing GUF for First, it's to keep fare buckets in check. I think it's a quiet way to perform one action that happens to introduce another while most people aren't looking. Yes, GUF would still function for Z, but I can do that with Avios anyway - although that's rarely available for the routes/dates I would want, thus the TA use is essential for me.

We'll see how it unfolds. I have three GUF to burn, which I can do in January when hitting GL/CCR and April membership refresh next year if it all holds into place... Here's hoping.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Genuinely interested.
Think of an instant upgrade fare as is common in North America.

My suspicion is, you will need availability in a lower bucket (which doubles up as a Club World bucket) but your fare lets you upgrade into F.

Then BA can use the I, R, C, D, and J buckets to control space in F as well as the F bucket. A will probably become a Club World bucket in the mix as well.

BA already does something like this for Club World with its "dual inventory" fares.

The GUF thing is cute but I doubt is a driver for such a complex change. It would be easier just to disallow TAs from doing GUFs or start publishing the Z inventory (as they also started doing).
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Calchas
TAs from doing GUFs or start publishing the Z inventory (as they also started doing).
They can't do the former as they'd effectively be giving benefits that are mostly unusable to a lot of customers who are forced through TAs by company policy. The latter makes sense though.

I'd agree with you that this seems like a big effort to deal with what must a drop in the ocean with regard to problems BA have. I think there must be more to it than just a GUF exercise.

What this will do for me is mean I'll need an extra Joker each year - so I either need to reassess my flying entirely or push for 6k TPs. At this point it will likely be the latter; but once I hit GfL that will be a very different story.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Think of an instant upgrade fare as is common in North America.

My suspicion is, you will need availability in a lower bucket (which doubles up as a Club World bucket) but your fare lets you upgrade into F.

Then BA can use the I, R, C, D, and J buckets to control space in F as well as the F bucket. A will probably become a Club World bucket in the mix as well.

BA already does something like this for Club World with its "dual inventory" fares.

The GUF thing is cute but I doubt is a driver for such a complex change. It would be easier just to disallow TAs from doing GUFs or start publishing the Z inventory (as they also started doing).
As noted in my earlier post A S and Q will become trigger classes. So they arent bookable classes but if they are available will affect the price of fares.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)

Genuinely interested.
A, F, etc. are inventory codes. Fares have rules that dictate flexibility, change fees, and which inventory they book into. As it happens, most fares start with the letter they book into, but this isn't a requirement.

They can't do the former as they'd effectively be giving benefits that are mostly unusable to a lot of customers who are forced through TAs by company policy. The latter makes sense though.
Hypothetically, BA could do the former (forbid TAs from processing GUFs). Upgrading would then be a two-step process for those needing to book via TA: first book and ticket an itinerary, then call BA to apply the GUFs. That's how it works, for example, with AA SWUs: After a TA issues a ticket, AA takes over the record and applies the SWU to upgrade. It's a hassle, so it's good that BA doesn't seem to be going down that path.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Anonba
As noted in my earlier post A S and Q will become trigger classes. So they arent bookable classes but if they are available will affect the price of fares.
So they are in effect DIFs, but based on invisible and unknowable inventory numbers?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
So they are in effect DIFs, but based on invisible and unknowable inventory numbers?
Yes in affect DIF, but there will be inventory numbers attached to them just they wont actually be used to book into. On shorthaul additional price points have been around since the start of the year. On shorthaul the trigger classes used were W E T P. Your flight would never book into W E T or P but say a V class fare where you got discount because they were available the letter shows as the second digit in the fare basis. A VZOR fare basis would become VPZOR VTZOR VEZOR or VWZOR depending which is available.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
I U'dUA over the phone on the BOS route, and although the flight is confirmed in First, the selling class stayed at 'I' on the ticket and in the App. It didn't change to 'Z' as I've come to expect when I do this, though the ExpertFlyer stats did remove one of the two Z seats available. Not sure if it's related.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:24 pm

Deleted. Wrong thread...

Last edited by headinclouds; Jan 5, 2019 at 12:29 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Airprox
Previously TAs booked into A because thats all that was available to them. BA have now started publishing Z availability via the GDS for the routes where A has been removed, therefore it would appear that the new procedure is going to be that TAs book into Z award availability just like BA do. Petrus' scenario is the much more likely outcome of this than TAs booking into F.
It might be even worse than that. I’m being told there is no way to use a GUF at the moment to book into F via a TA.
I tried to upgrade from J to F using a GUF on DXB to LHR using Propeller and was told this today:

Unfortunately, there is no way to upgrade DXB sectors to First at the moment, as part of (annoying) changes BA are experimenting in which apply to LHR DXB LHR and LHR BOS LHR sectors
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
It appears that BA has pulled availability in paid F for most Heathrow-originating BA107 (daytime) flights LHR->DXB from around 8th October 2019, while continuing to sell paid F on the BA107 if originating at regional airports such as NCL, MAN etc. They really are experimenting!

Revenue management is refusing to allow space release on that flight for dates I wanted (even though nobody has used space release on them, and even starting at a regional airport). I'm aware of the lack of A class now, but also apparently that space release may still be requested. It was suggested by GGL that I ask for a night flight instead. However having just taken one of the night flights in F on that route with my family and had a particularly unpleasant experience with a drunk and insulting man sat behind my 10-year-old daughter (meaning nobody got any sleep, and the guy was in that state on boarding), the family is quite reasonably not on for that again.

Alas I needed 4 seats, and only 3 A-class available to AUH as an alternative. Best I wait, I think!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
There is a rumour that this flight will switch to an A350 without F. We shall see. I have just used a Lloyds upgrade voucher to go book J to Dubai in Feb 2020 for 52k Avios so will happily accept UD 747 or ‘new next generation Club World’ on the A350...

Knowing my luck it’ll be an Air Belgium A340!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by joelyp
It appears that BA has pulled availability in paid F for most Heathrow-originating BA107 (daytime) flights LHR->DXB from around 8th October 2019, while continuing to sell paid F on the BA107 if originating at regional airports such as NCL, MAN etc. They really are experimenting!

Revenue management is refusing to allow space release on that flight for dates I wanted (even though nobody has used space release on them, and even starting at a regional airport). I'm aware of the lack of A class now, but also apparently that space release may still be requested. It was suggested by GGL that I ask for a night flight instead. However having just taken one of the night flights in F on that route with my family and had a particularly unpleasant experience with a drunk and insulting man sat behind my 10-year-old daughter (meaning nobody got any sleep, and the guy was in that state on boarding), the family is quite reasonably not on for that again.

Alas I needed 4 seats, and only 3 A-class available to AUH as an alternative. Best I wait, I think!
On these flights Z class was also made unavailable so im not surprised it was refused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.