Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA removes A class on the BOS and DXB routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA removes A class on the BOS and DXB routes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Well, I would normally stop crediting to BAEC after 1500TP and credit to AA but this year after inadvertantly hitting nearly 2000TP I continued on to achieve GUF2 at 2500TP. Since we all know redemption F is so hard to come by, I did so fully intending to use it on a revenue booking into A class. I guess I now need to make that booking quickly.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:12 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If this becomes more widespread, is it going to affect the AONE RTW products?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:31 am

Maybe Gold Guest List redemptions and GUFs will now only need 'F' availability.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Maybe Gold Guest List redemptions and GUFs will now only need 'F' availability.
I fear that might be over-optimistic.
rossmacd and Oaxaca like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:39 am
Suspended

Could it be a little preparation for A350 flights going on sale?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by richardwft
A350 won't have F cabin (at least initial deliveries)...
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by richardwft
The BOS and DXB sectors are too short to be considered for the a350 at this time. Subject to change of course, however these aircraft are more optimally deployed on longer routes.
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by hemschmall
The BOS and DXB sectors are too short to be considered for the a350 at this time. Subject to change of course, however these aircraft are more optimally deployed on longer routes.
Agreed on these routes... however there's lots of chatter on FT that JFK will get A350.... which I haven't thought would be the case
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:09 am
Suspended

Perhaps a short period of A350 training flights to BOS/DXB.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP CXDM, Bonvoy Gold, WOH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by sxc
If this becomes more widespread, is it going to affect the AONE RTW products?
Yes that's a very good question. I fly this route often in using the AONE product.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
It probably is very true that BA First is too cheap (between avios, GUFs, 241s, AUP, POUG it must be one of the most affordable F products of any major airline). The quality of the product is also consistent with the price point.

Having said that - I'm not sure how making the product more expensive is going to improve the bottom line. Surely revenue management have already priced tickets so they could fill the planes with maximum revenue. Increasing prices would only reduce the load factors?

Interested to see if this will be extended to other routes...
Cyba likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:46 am

Also if the issue is that A class is often available at cheaper than the remaining J fares when I is sold out, wouldn’t another way round that simply be to reduce A inventory in line with I, rather then remove it altogether?
rossmacd and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: BA GGL
Basically it pulls the rug on revenue CW-F GUF tickets via TA and GGL redemptions. Which, really, is a big downgrade for high status flyers within BA.

Obviously all about revenue management: more is wanted, while avoiding the cabin overlap fares as pointed out by others above.

What'll happen when people are forced to pay more for First though? Fewer people will fly it. Especially on these routes!
Cyba, rossmacd and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Basically it pulls the rug on revenue CW-F GUF tickets via TA and GGL redemptions.
and use of jokers with UuAs/GUFs done directly with BA.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
If you read the full text on the trade website you will realise this is a consequence of moving from ancient (in IT terms) selling systems into the modern era (NDC technology be at the heart of the change).

NDC technology enables BA to have a much finer grained level of fares than linking just to fare classes. You already get this on many sites using NDC, including BA.com, where several different fares can map to the same letter class. The trade site goes on to say that the number of inventory buckets in F is going up from 5 to 6! Club World is increasing from 5 to 9 and economy from 11 to 25 (WT+ remains the same)!

The trade site also says semi-flexible F will be retained.

Question: how will BA make more profit from this. Answer: there will be more intermediate price points allowing BA to gain marginal revenue, by spreading inventory across a wider set of price points.

If this scheme is rolled out, as surely as it will be, the rules asbout GUF2 may have to change.

Last edited by pennineuk; Dec 6, 2018 at 7:43 am Reason: Additional info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.