Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling with family

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Travelling with family

Sorry if this has been asked already but I can't seem to find any advice.

On a family of 4 traveling to Europe and/or domestic we only 2 suitcase total. Am I better booking Basic Economy and buying case space, ET plus for the group (I assume that I can't book 2 tickets in basic and 2 in plus on one booking) or doing it as two bookings.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
correct you can't have basic and plus on the same PNR so it would have to be two bookings.

I can't answer which is best - buying basic plus 2 * bags or all in plus. Do some dummy bookings and check the maths for yourself.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You're quite sure you won't acquire any more goods abroad, or that other family members will not overpack, or that auto assigned seating may not put you together, etcetera?

Quite sure a plus fare all round might alleviate stress at the time of travel?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
... or that auto assigned seating may not put you together,...
Im my experience auto seating WILL NOT put you all together if one of you is on a basic fare. Only book if you are happy with that likelihood.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by SteveF

Im my experience auto seating WILL NOT put you all together if one of you is on a basic fare. Only book if you are happy with that likelihood.
If one is on a basic fare and the others aren't, by definition that's at least two separate bookings so auto seating wouldn't even try to seat the group together.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
If one is on a basic fare and the others aren't, by definition that's at least two separate bookings so auto seating wouldn't even try to seat the group together.
As you say. Im pretty sure that some pax would try to sort it out at the check in desk though.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by SteveF

BA emulating Ryanair without the super cheap fairs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.