Wiki Posts
Search

AA wants to move to T5 LHR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I don't blame them; T3 is a dump!
It's not quite that bad, but it's definitely showing its age and it seems too compact in some areas, and spread out in others.
Took me ages using Goodtogoparking to get there and back from their drop off point near the animal reception centre Maybe 3x the time to get to T5. So not a great parking option if time isn't on your side.

As mentioned earlier, I like the lounges there and flying AA lets me use them, most of which are a breath of fresh air compared to GF.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'd be fine with AA moving to T5 only if CX moves there too, along with its lounge
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
i thought the long term plan was T 3 was going to go and be replaced by an expanded t2?

you are right t3 is closer to central london, but only by a matter of minutes.

i doubt ba want's to separate it major long haul market to the US from its short haul and domestic flights now so will want to keep them all in the same terminal.
The long term plan map I have seen from HAL's website and master plans have a T3 as the Qantas/Emirates wing will stay, Where the control tower is, will house a satellite T3 building. And the current T3 will be bulldozed down to build a terminal like T5. So T3 will be staying, at least according to varies planning images showed in relation to 3rd runway application.

The current BA US_EU transfer involve with T5A-T5B-T5C-T3 giant web. It is very complicated and time consuming. For US flight that arrived in T5B and T5C, passengers have to go through a lot of procedures to depart on a T5A or T3 European flight.

By positioning most oneworld carrier in T5B, BA can concentrate US arrivals and departures to T3 and T5C, while most of the European departures and arrivals to T5A and T5B, with a well designed streamline procedure and APM between individual terminals, it may work better than the current system, at least for passengers, once arrive into London, they can clear the secondary security check in T3 and take shuttle or train to T5A and T5B without any additional check. And European/Domestic passengers can get off in T5A and T5B then go to join the secondary security check in T3. It is no different than the current mess, but can be better designed.

And, for all we know, if US pre-clearance comes to Heathrow, T3 would be the ideal place to implement.

By all of these above happens, T3 would be way too old and way too inefficient then. Seems to be a good idea to start to plan now to overcome all the shortcomings T5 currently has with a re-imagined T3. Just my 2 cents.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Some time back there was a sort out of where airlines were at LHR and a broad lining up of the three alliances and for a while it was good and it worked but as ever things change so it's probably time for another sort out.

T2 is fine but EI should move out probably to T5. Maybe move in one non-aligned if that's necessary. The gates EI use have split stands taking two A320s or one A380 so no problems with who moves if necessary.

T4, move out QR and MH - in MH's case back to T3 and in exchange move back DL and VS, if necessary take out too EY as there are underused A380 gates at T3.

Sort out T3 & 5 in terms of where the best connections lie across oneworld rather than the current arrangement of BA mostly in one place and the others in another with BA secondary routes that are in the main point to point routes. In that acknowledge that for instance AY and CX already connect to each other at HEL and so neither connects heavily to BA and so on.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by lhrpete
T4, move out QR and MH - in MH's case back to T3 and in exchange move back DL and VS, if necessary take out too EY as there are underused A380 gates at T3.
Lounges are a key obstacke to making the moves you suggest. Airlines have to be compensated by the airport when they move terminals.

If it were as obvious / easy as you suggest it would have been done already
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Didn't Air India dig their heels in about moving out of T4 to T2 (after just having done the T3 to T4 move) after building out their own lounge in T4? I suspect HAL offered some incentive.
American have 18 daily long haul flights, not something T5 could take without screwing over a lot of existing BA flights by banishing to T3.
BTW T1 is still standing and still has Pier 4A (the Green Mile) still attached, is it too late to re-open? #kiddingnotkidding
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:09 am

I would give up access to T3 Cathay and Qantas lounges to see this happen, as I preferentially book BA and currently pass on the AA 773 reverse herringbone glory—all to avoid the T3/T5 Transfer.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I imagine AA would like to move their JFK flights over initially so that the JBA could really offer a seamless shuttle service on the $1billion route.

More BA flights from T3 would be good - better lounges at the very least.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:33 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Jamier45
That article doesn't mean much, the author didn't even know BA had flights from T3 so can't be seen as a credible source.
Although one of the new TPG writers is a very well known FTer, who's pretty knowledgeable when it comes to BA and AA out of the UK.

M
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Until it's built, and airlines have moved, it's all speculation.

Of course AA would like to move to co-locate with most of BA's short haul. They'd be stupid if they didn't.
LTN Phobia and T8191 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by skipness1E
Didn't Air India dig their heels in about moving out of T4 to T2 (after just having done the T3 to T4 move) after building out their own lounge in T4? I suspect HAL offered some incentive.
American have 18 daily long haul flights, not something T5 could take without screwing over a lot of existing BA flights by banishing to T3.
BTW T1 is still standing and still has Pier 4A (the Green Mile) still attached, is it too late to re-open? #kiddingnotkidding
That would certainly make EI fit well to T1/Pier 4A
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
There is the potential for quite a lot of changes with expansion, but plans and aspirations seem to be much less advanced than in the runway. And expansion coming on stream is still some way in the future.

I wonder if in the shorter term there could be some more straightforward improvements of T3-T5 transfers made, for example more frequent buses and a better/more integrated premium experience. Then some shuffling of flights between the two terminals might happen.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

but BAs priority should be to operate 100% from T5 before AA moves.

And stop using the bus.
tedcruz and AnaTravel like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by lcylocal
There is the potential for quite a lot of changes with expansion, but plans and aspirations seem to be much less advanced than in the runway. And expansion coming on stream is still some way in the future.
Plans and aspirations are well advanced, it's just at this stage there are so many different options. At some point a decision will be made. I wouldn't hold your breath though!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
BAs priority should be to operate 100% from T5 before AA moves.
I am not sure about this. If I were BA I would want to stick around at Terminal 3 so that I was seen as a terminal user who could be consulted about proposed changes. If BA only operated from Terminal 5 this might reduce their ability to influence other developments at their main hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.