AA wants to move to T5 LHR

Old Dec 2, 18, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA : BA
AA wants to move to T5 LHR

Rhett Workman, American’s managing director at London Heathrow (LHR), discussing AA's partnership with BA. In the discussion about efforts to work closer together, Rhett dropped: “it’s really exciting to be with BA in the same terminal in Terminal 3 and, potentially in the future, Terminal 5.”

"Nothing is in the works yet, but AA has made its intentions very clear to British Airways and Heathrow that it wants to co-locate with BA in Terminal 5."

Link to TPG article:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...ow-terminal-5/

Just wishful thinking, or is this a practical idea?
Old Dec 2, 18, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Can only see it happen if we get a T5D
Old Dec 2, 18, 4:46 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
I’d hate to see this happen. Even with a T5D it doesn’t solve the fact that T5A, the lounges, and the train can get overloaded. Perhaps the later two can be fixed with more than two trains operating at once and new lounges in C and D (would have to include at least one more F lounge) but I can’t imagine trying to pump more people through arrivals and the FCC at peak times.

Also - with the slight exception of the first wing over T3 fast track and the CCR over CX F - T3 is a better and more efficient experience even if less modern.
Old Dec 2, 18, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Can you really trust a blogger that writes about travel but who initially didn’t know BA also operates from T3?. Lol

anything is a possibility but as scotishpoet said they would need to build 5d (as well as finish 5c to its proper full length) and they’d need to do something about the capacity of the lounges as well.

but BAs priority should be to operate 100% from T5 before AA moves.

I can hear the screams of those who would be unable to use the QF and CX lounges in T3 if this were to happen!

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Dec 2, 18 at 6:38 am
Old Dec 2, 18, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Surely 'wanting to co-locate' doesn't necessarily mean adding all of AA's operations to T5?

I understand the overcrowding aspects if AA was added, but trading some ramp space and moving some more BA flights to T3 in lieu would meet his aspirations? But, as TPG highlights, the T5-T3 connection game is already a nightmare.
Old Dec 2, 18, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I’m filing this one in the ‘when BA and AA operate in the same terminal at JFK’ box.
The present iteration of T5 is not going to cope with those extra flights. Maybe I fly at the wrong time of day* but T5 is always crowded.
*Early morning, lunchtime, afternoon or early evening.
stewaran likes this.
Old Dec 2, 18, 5:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
With the JB I really feel AA and BA should colocate in both LHR and JFK. But there is insufficient space in a single terminal of either of these airports. I actively sometimes select a BA or AA flight depending on my origin/destination city pairs in order to avoid the T3/T5 experience already and having even more of these divided would be inconvenient. When originating LIS, for example, I am always flying AA metal TATL so that I can stay in T3. If originating MUC and going to MIA for example then I‘m pretty stuffed via LHR so would choose AA via PHL and avoid LHR completely.
Old Dec 2, 18, 5:40 am

This is all part of the ongoing conversations related to the new LHR's 3rd runway. It's all fairly common knowledge amongst the airlines and is discussed fairly widely. As you know, HAL had an (eye-watering) expensive project for another terminal and so on. However, HAL is being heavily challenged by the airlines and it's slowly warming up to the idea of not having a new terminal after all, but, instead, to just have the "toast racks" from T1 up to T5. T5 would be enlarged, and there are projects thinking at how this could happen. This could open the house to other oneworld airlines, especially now that IB is using its check-in system.

I'm not close to it, but undoubtedly there are a lot of challenges, and the timescales will be long (think at glaciers, tectonic plaques and so on). Besides, in the words of Boromir, "one does not simply build an extension to T5".

All this, Boromir quote included, is my own opinion and not BA's, or HAL's.
Old Dec 2, 18, 6:14 am
Suspended

I think, there is better chance for AA to share with BA in a NEWLY BUILT terminal 3 for all USA departures. The following shuffle can happen:
1, Move all BA's close allies in oneworld to T5, that includes RJ, AY, IB, JL and possibly future CZ and QR.
2, Rebuild the T3 to the T2 standard and with an additional satellite opening between T3 and T5, the T3B
3, Move all BA's USA operations to the new T3 and share it with AA.
4, Open connectors between T5C and new T3. So that aircraft can still park in T5C while using the facilities in new T3.

I think T3 is still quicker to reach central London. And Heathrow does have plan to rebuild T3. The problem for AA to move to T5 is that AA has too many flights. It is much better to move the smaller oneworld airlines to T5 first and leave room for BA and AA to have its transatlantic terminal in a newly designed and purposely built T3.

T5 is nice but there are many things are showing its lack of space and lack or respect for large volume of transit passengers. The better way to tackle all the problems in T5 now and take advantage of the space can be utilised, is to design a new T3 from a clean sheet of paper and try to consolidate AA and BA's transatlantic routes from there. Plus it is unlikely DL and VS would move out from T3 at this moment. It could be a truly Transatlantic terminal for AA+BA and DL+VS. Ultimately, it would be better for all oneworld airlines to move to T5 and have BA to design a new T3 with its experiences of T5.
Old Dec 2, 18, 6:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
I think, there is better chance for AA to share with BA in a NEWLY BUILT terminal 3 for all USA departures. The following shuffle can happen:
1, Move all BA's close allies in oneworld to T5, that includes RJ, AY, IB, JL and possibly future CZ and QR.
2, Rebuild the T3 to the T2 standard and with an additional satellite opening between T3 and T5, the T3B
3, Move all BA's USA operations to the new T3 and share it with AA.
4, Open connectors between T5C and new T3. So that aircraft can still park in T5C while using the facilities in new T3.

I think T3 is still quicker to reach central London. And Heathrow does have plan to rebuild T3. The problem for AA to move to T5 is that AA has too many flights. It is much better to move the smaller oneworld airlines to T5 first and leave room for BA and AA to have its transatlantic terminal in a newly designed and purposely built T3.

T5 is nice but there are many things are showing its lack of space and lack or respect for large volume of transit passengers. The better way to tackle all the problems in T5 now and take advantage of the space can be utilised, is to design a new T3 from a clean sheet of paper and try to consolidate AA and BA's transatlantic routes from there. Plus it is unlikely DL and VS would move out from T3 at this moment. It could be a truly Transatlantic terminal for AA+BA and DL+VS. Ultimately, it would be better for all oneworld airlines to move to T5 and have BA to design a new T3 with its experiences of T5.
i thought the long term plan was T 3 was going to go and be replaced by an expanded t2?

you are right t3 is closer to central london, but only by a matter of minutes.

i doubt ba want's to separate it major long haul market to the US from its short haul and domestic flights now so will want to keep them all in the same terminal.
IAMORGAN and orbitmic like this.
Old Dec 2, 18, 6:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
That article doesn't mean much, the author didn't even know BA had flights from T3 so can't be seen as a credible source.
angeloedades likes this.
Old Dec 2, 18, 6:33 am

BA have vacated masses of office space at T5 to save money. An unintended consequence of this could be that HAL may say, “if you’re not going to rent this space from us, we’ll bring an airline in that will” and so BA will have to move a number of routes out of T5 to accommodate another airline.

HAL can’t do anything with all this office space they have after BA left as they’re not in the sort of location where you could place a shop or a lounge and the only airline in the building at present is British Airways.
Old Dec 2, 18, 6:36 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver)
I don't blame them; T3 is a dump!
Old Dec 2, 18, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
i thought the long term plan was T 3 was going to go and be replaced by an expanded t2?

you are right t3 is closer to central london, but only by a matter of minutes.

i doubt ba want's to separate it major long haul market to the US from its short haul and domestic flights now so will want to keep them all in the same terminal.
Correct, moving all of British Airways’ US route network would place it at a big disadvantage, increasing MCT for a DEL-IAH, for example, to 90 mins.

Transfer experience has been much improved, with connecting immigration e-gates for UK connections, automatic ATP gates for international connections and escalator access to both South and North security.
Old Dec 2, 18, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

I don't think HAL would want that either. There would have to be a massive improvement in the T3-T5 and vv connection process and it would have to be something like an underground connection system rather than buses.

I could perhaps see BA moving it's TATLs to a new T3 if and only if it included a US preclearance terminal and all airlines operating TATL could use it.
becks1 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: