Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed in Black Friday Sale

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The commercial aviation markets between Europe, North America, and Asia are largely on screech. BA is a for profit business. It would be madness to discount a ticket merely to sell it for less than someone is willing to purchase it without generating something in return for the immediate revenue loss (or revenue foregone).

Regretably for OP, but not for the overall economy, he is not the customer BA wants. E.g., someone who holds off in anticipation of a sale. Rather, BA wants to encourage someone who is an occasional flier on some internal or micro-haul route, to take a flier (pardon the pun) and holiday in BKK or somesuch. Selling that person a somewhat discounted ticket may mean that the person enjoys the travel and later spends more on other long-haul leisure tickets. For the latter customer, BA is quite prepared to sacrifice a bit of revenue today. For OP, not so much.

One could always hope for an economic downturn leaving BA with empty seats to fill.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by simons1
Ah thanks! Even worse than I thought!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingGarden
Just looked at the Which? article they only looked at 94 items, 59 of which were Currys

Now they may have picked a good cross section, or Which being Which may have picked things that people already suspected of not being that cheap during the sale

A lot of their advice is OK but specifics and surveys can be very hit and miss.
The Which? product tests are generally excellent but I find their investigations often have a very small sample size.

They can also be very unfair to airlines, criticising for example, Flybe's cabin luggage size despite them operating smaller aircraft. Or Loganair's cancellations even though they operate in some of the harshest UK winters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.