Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed in Black Friday Sale

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Otp run

Originally Posted by Misco60
Itineraries such as OTP-PHX are very easy to book directly on the AA website, at the price quoted by Matrix; you don't even need to use BookWithMatrix (which rarely works satisfactorily for me).
Have you seen this phx run again for 2019?
I didn't find any more dates?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
Just looked at the Which? article they only looked at 94 items, 59 of which were Currys

Now they may have picked a good cross section, or Which being Which may have picked things that people already suspected of not being that cheap during the sale

A lot of their advice is OK but specifics and surveys can be very hit and miss.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I too was rather underwhelmed by the overhyped Black Friday deals on offer.

However, after an hour or two of ITA Matrix digging I discovered the well known AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK routing is still alive and kicking.

Just booked two CW/Biz tickets in early Jan for approx €1550 each including 4 nights in the decent Bangkok hotel we stayed in last year, Constructed using the 'Custom Trip' option on the BA website, ignoring the default LHR-BKK option and choosing the HKG routing resulted in the price falling rather dramatically

BA A380 on the Hong Kong legs, Cathay A330 on the BKK legs. Availability seems pretty good. We went to Bangkok last year via KUL and as a result missed out on TP's for the KUL-BKK legs. Not this time !

I'm not convinced that this deal has anything to do with Black Friday but I'm happy with it. ^ As ever, many thanks to all on FT who have opened my eyes to the joys of collecting TPs !

Happy hunting.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MotheatenHound
I too was rather underwhelmed by the overhyped Black Friday deals on offer.

However, after an hour or two of ITA Matrix digging I discovered the well known AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK routing is still alive and kicking.

Just booked two CW/Biz tickets in early Jan for approx €1550 each including 4 nights in the decent Bangkok hotel we stayed in last year, Constructed using the 'Custom Trip' option on the BA website, ignoring the default LHR-BKK option and choosing the HKG routing resulted in the price falling rather dramatically

BA A380 on the Hong Kong legs, Cathay A330 on the BKK legs. Availability seems pretty good. We went to Bangkok last year via KUL and as a result missed out on TP's for the KUL-BKK legs. Not this time !

I'm not convinced that this deal has anything to do with Black Friday but I'm happy with it. ^ As ever, many thanks to all on FT who have opened my eyes to the joys of collecting TPs !

Happy hunting.
Well done ^ This is the long running AMS-BKK advanced purchase INCEU60 fare. I happen to be looking at it this evening for a possible trip next August.
MotheatenHound likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I am GGL andG4L and my wife is GCH and neither of us have received anything from BA regarding their Black Friday Sales - go figure
MadnessOfCrowds likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I’d concur with this - I very much doubt the agent went away to consult a supervisor either. Even if it happened, in any management structure it’s also very unlikely they knew any more than the agent about the day to day processes, so if told something wasn’t possible they’d more than likely just accept the agent’s word.

The restriction you encountered with not booking onto an AA flight number with BA metal is down to BA policy and nothing to do with your routing - it would have been exactly the same if you’d been trying to book OTP-LHR-PHX direct on AA codes.

If AA doesn’t work a TA could certainly book it. I had what I thought was quite a simple itinerary on SK recently which involved an open jaw of ARN-CPH-SFO-CPH-LHR. The saving doing it that way was considerable compared to just going back to ARN, and I gained a protected connection back to the UK. The SK website couldn’t cope with it, and so I used a TA (Propeller as it happens) who achieved what I needed in minutes.

I don’t therefore think there’s any conspiracy with any airline in trying to deny us cost savings/miles/TPs by creative routings - it’s just that we are in such a minority it’s (a) not worth investing in the IT to offer more functionality and (b) most certainly not worth the effort of actively are stopping us.
Don't you have to pay for Propeller? Tried a TA once to price a matrix fare face to face. Did not have a clue!! Hopeless .
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
I am GGL andG4L and my wife is GCH and neither of us have received anything from BA regarding their Black Friday Sales - go figure
maybe you have opted out of marketing emails?

Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Well done ^ This is the long running AMS-BKK advanced purchase INCEU60 fare. I happen to be looking at it this evening for a possible trip next August.
Doing BKK via HKG [twice] ex BUD and HEL with AY and CX. Was not a black Friday fare and is for later next year.1500 UK pounds.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by nivsy
Don't you have to pay for Propeller? Tried a TA once to price a matrix fare face to face. Did not have a clue!! Hopeless .
yes you do but people on here who have used them said their fees were very reasonable.

Though it would depend on how complex the routing is and your other parameters are so how much time it takes them to research options.

Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by nivsy
yes there is a fee, I think about £30-50. Propeller seem pretty competent and are quite used to having itamatrix screenshots sent to them. For an exEU to US fare I would tend to phone BA to book, or occasionally have booked on aa.com. For Far East trips where using a GUF is more important I have used Propeller a few times.
Lefly likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:11 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I think the fee was less than this, although it is/was charged per person - it was certainly comparable to ringing SK and booking through their call centre. If you send them a cut and paste of the final Matrix screen they don’t seem to have any problem booking.

BA’s website would certainly have coped with the open jaw, so in some cases the interface to their booking engine is actually not the worst of the world’s airlines!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I think the fee was less than this, although it is/was charged per person - it was certainly comparable to ringing SK and booking through their call centre. If you send them a cut and paste of the final Matrix screen they don’t seem to have any problem booking.
I think my last one was £35 because it involved a GUF. Probably a little cheaper if not using one.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
Have you seen this phx run again for 2019?I didn't find any more dates?
It's available for 2019, but only on certain days and dates.

Category 2: Day/Time restrictions
FROM EUROPE - PERMITTED TUE/WED/THU ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
TO EUROPE - PERMITTED MON/TUE/WED ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.

Category 3: Seasonal restrictions
INBOUND - PERMITTED 21DEC 18 THROUGH 02JAN 19 OR 14APR 19 THROUGH 21APR 19 OR 01JUL 19 THROUGH 31AUG 19 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
OUTBOUND - PERMITTED 22DEC 18 THROUGH 06JAN 19 OR 14APR 19 THROUGH 22APR 19 OR 01JUL 19 THROUGH 31AUG 19 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.

I'm seeing plenty of availability throughout the summer, at £1376 via LHR, JFK and LAX in each direction. (800 TPs).
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
yes there is a fee, I think about £30-50. Propeller seem pretty competent and are quite used to having itamatrix screenshots sent to them. For an exEU to US fare I would tend to phone BA to book, or occasionally have booked on aa.com. For Far East trips where using a GUF is more important I have used Propeller a few times.
Is that the consensus view about Propeller? I've only tried them once, but they made 3 attempts to find the fare I wanted and still couldn't get anywhere near it. I booked it via Expedia for about £50 above the matrix price in the end.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Whilst I understand people's disappointment I should perhaps just 're my d us all a sale is not a legal or moral requirement of at business. historically businesses sold surplus product or last season product through sales. more recently poorly selling product. then this Black Friday event came along. now for those who got 2 x J for £2018 that seems a good deal. for those that didn't it's a shame but really I can't see why this turns I to a soft bashing for BA. Perhaps forward bookings are stronger that this time last year
LTN Phobia and Often1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.