Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA or Malaysia to KUL?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:20 am
Original Poster

BA or Malaysia to KUL?

Looking at flights to KUL early next year. From what I can see, Malaysian is on an A350 and BA the 787. I've not been on either of these before, what would be the preferred option? (sadly this is economy I'm talking about!)
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Economy on the Dreamliner is pretty miserable - it really is a squash - especially if your seat neighbours (or you!) are a larger size.

Can't comment on MH A350 - flew their A380s years ago and very comfy
redpalmetto and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In comparing your choices, don't forget to consisder checked bag fees, seat reservation fees, etc.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
MH's A350 have some good value extra legroom seats (about £100 each way) in a separate row.

But as a tall person I would fly the A350 over a 9 abreast 787 any day irrespective of the airline. I've just done a 10 hour 787 onto a 8 hour 350 connection, and the comfort difference was chalk and cheese despite both being modern craft.

I may do a mini trip report as it's useful to have more economy reports around!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Some discounted economy MH fares from London to Kul don't earn, I found this out the hard way. So check fare class before committing if this is a factor. Otherwise MH is OK in economy, IFE slightly more limited, service usually good.

Consider SIN as a route too. Very easy and cheap to get to KUL and you get the BA A380.
mikeyfly and Sweet Willie like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Some discounted economy MH fares from London to Kul don't earn, I found this out the hard way. So check fare class before committing if this is a factor. Otherwise MH is OK in economy, IFE slightly more limited, service usually good.

Consider SIN as a route too. Very easy and cheap to get to KUL and you get the BA A380.
Yeah, I saw some MH fares don't earn... Probably not the end of the world. I see some have a little "$" sign saying they are lowest, not sure if that's the same. Don't see the actual fare class anywhere on the page though.
Another consideration is that on the return, my wife will be on the same flight, but she'll be in business anyway, so not really "with" me

**edit, after picking some actual flights I see the classes. Cross-referencing to the list on the BA site, outbound is "Q" which doesn't exist (so presumably earns nothing) and returns is S - 25% avios... even picking "Economy Smart" over "Economy Promo" changed the code to V, but that's still only 25% - so I guess I can give up earning much going with MH...!

Last edited by jowlymonster; Nov 21, 2018 at 6:15 am
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I quite enjoyed First on the BA 787, very comfortable plane.
mikeyfly and Traveller 935 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
i don't know about MH, but I'd avoid World Trav on a 787 if you possibly can - especially for such a long flight - if I really wanted to go BA, I'd go A380 to SIN and connect by air or land from there to KUL (time allowing)

if you can get WTP the game changes - WTP on the BA 787 is pretty nice
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
For economy, I'd be very tempted by going via SIN especially if time wasn't of the essence. The upper deck exit rows on the A380 are about the best Economy there is.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:22 am

Even though I flew F last year on MH, the load was so light I went to the back and sat in one of the Y seats. Very nice, especially the leg room, 32-33 inches. And of course the seats are 18 inches in width. With MH, you 2 flights per day you get the choice of a daytime flight in each direction.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by flatlander
For economy, I'd be very tempted by going via SIN especially if time wasn't of the essence. The upper deck exit rows on the A380 are about the best Economy there is.
Disagree, I did it last week. Best economy on BA perhaps. But i'd never put it above MH Emergency Exit, especially if KL is the ultimate destination.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Probably just unlucky but in just a few sectors of long haul on MH I’ve had a 24 hour tech delay on one and an in-flight fire followed by a nail-biting but safe return to KUL on another. I would take some persuading to choose MH if other factors are equal.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:34 am

I've used MH a few times in the last couple of years and found them excellent. I'd go MH in a heartbeat given OP's situation.
mrow likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I'm sure that'll be a great comfort to the OP looking to travel in economy!
mrow, T8191, Aston100 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
<==== that way for the DYKWIA thread!
VSLover, wrp96, RobDBA and 9 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.