Wiki Posts
Search

BA038 [Beijing - LHR] refuelling at LGW

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Silver
BA038 [Beijing - LHR] refuelling at LGW

Currently sitting on the ground at LGW while BA38 refuels in order to carry on to LHR. Strong headwinds over Russia and 20 mins spent waiting for a slot at Heathrow have caused the unscheduled stop. Here’s hoping we get underway soon!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That's a Beijing -> Heathrow service for the benefit etc.
SK, wrp96, alex67500 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's a Beijing -> Heathrow service for the benefit etc.
Sorry; I should have said. I guess Heathrow must be particularly busy?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:34 am

The Heathrow stacks all look pretty jammed on FR24 right now. A china Southern flight is currently landing in parallel with a VS flight on the departure runway.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Eurocontrol has indicated that a combination of weather and capacity issues is causing delays at Heathrow, the funnel effect around Reading looks fairly full. I know they are doing some significant work close to the northern runway at the moment. I imagine the captain diverted simply because though he probably had enough to glide into LHR after the predicted hold, at that point there wouldn't have enough contingency left. Another day, another hour, it wouldn't have been needed. Mind you, Eurocontrol also said LGW would have a busy day too.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joshm300
The Heathrow stacks all look pretty jammed on FR24 right now. A china Southern flight is currently landing in parallel with a VS flight on the departure runway.
Thanks for the update. Just been told we’re hoping to be airborne by 17.20 and ‘the good news’ is we have plenty of fuel in case we get stacked again!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I can see that 17.20 is your slot time.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Sounds like a long and annoying delay - so close yet so far!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Eurocontrol has indicated that a combination of weather and capacity issues is causing delays at Heathrow, the funnel effect around Reading looks fairly full. I know they are doing some significant work close to the northern runway at the moment. I imagine the captain diverted simply because though he probably had enough to glide into LHR after the predicted hold, at that point there wouldn't have enough contingency left. Another day, another hour, it wouldn't have been needed. Mind you, Eurocontrol also said LGW would have a busy day too.
Thanks CWS. That would explain it. Apart from the unscheduled stop it was a very good flight!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:57 am

This all sounds a little confused, although essentially correct. This is a slightly more technical explanation, I hope it is clear.

Fuel planning basically gives you Reserve plus Diversion fuel at Destination. That is a flight to the destination airport including a full arrival and approach procedure followed by a full missed approach procedure and diversion to land at the Alternate airport. There will also be any unused contingency fuel, which is fuel for inflight contingencies, like unexpected headwinds and not getting the planned level etc.

The absolute minimum to land with or Reserve fuel - force majeure notwithstanding - is 30 minutes flying, at the planned landing weight at 1500 feet above the destination airfield. There is never a case where gliding would be anticipated.

The Commander may elect to take Additional fuel for anticipated holding based upon their experience, a reading of the weather and other considerations such as max landing weight and possibly max take off weight.

Diversion fuel can be dispensed with in certain circumstances but minimum Reserve must always be preserved, so, for example arriving at LHR with Alternate fuel for LGW, good weather and no airfield or aircraft deficiencies, and a known holding time and an Expected Approach Time issued, one may elect to dispense with the Alternate fuel. This fuel may then be used for additional holding fuel. However, this additional fuel would typically only amount to about 20 minutes flying when the alternate is as close as LGW. so you only gain a limited ability to loiter in the hold. If the excepted delay is longer than the loiter time you have or can generate then you must divert in order to land with minimum Reserve.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
What utter incompetence. Did the pilot not make the situation known to LHR Control? Or did LHR control refuse to expedite the plane out of the stacks?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by MTJ Bound
What utter incompetence. Did the pilot not make the situation known to LHR Control? Or did LHR control refuse to expedite the plane out of the stacks?
Sir, with all due respect, I do hope you meant to attach a smiley emoji to that.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by MTJ Bound
he wouldn’t have been by far the only one in that situation!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Taxiing now.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
There is never a case where gliding would be anticipated.
And if I was younger I'd probably put an emoji thing next to my use of the word gliding, it wasn't a serious comment. Thanks for the more detailed explanation, I think I understood most of it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.