Wiki Posts
Search

A rude captain - any experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
A rude captain - any experiences?

Recently came back from New York on the jumbo, when I (and quite a few other passengers on the upper deck) had the pleasure of interacting with a very rude and aggressive Captain. He aggressively told one lady to "move now, I need to get to the flight deck" and another elderly gentleman who was having trouble placing his bag in the locker to "take your time and hold up the entire flight why don't you". I thought this unnecessary. Myself and a few others could scarcely believe what we were hearing (we continued to discuss when we landed) and indeed, the CSM did come after with an embarrassed look on her face (not an apology, which we were not expecting anyways). Cabin crew were great and the flight was thereafter uneventful.

My experience, albeit limited, with BA Captains is that they are charming, extremely polite and courteous, ultra-professional and always have a smile. I also find them far more open than flight crews from other airlines, except maybe the LCCs. This bloke clearly got out of the wrong side of bed that day and took it out on the two unfortunate passengers who got in his way.

Has anyone else had bad experiences with flight crews?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
No - not as bad as you describe. Are you intending on writing to BA about it? Sounds like he got out of bed the wrong side that day, however, in a role in which you interact with customers, I would expect better.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by stu1985
No - not as bad as you describe. Are you intending on writing to BA about it? Sounds like he got out of bed the wrong side that day, however, in a role in which you interact with customers, I would expect better.
Captains rarely interact with passengers. Unless you fly on Southwest, which does not operate in the UK as far as I know.
Maybe a decade ago they would stand and greet you but you rarely see them. Most of the time they are in the cockpit before you get on the plane (depends on where you sit, obviously), and still in the cockpit when you get out. Some captains do not announce anything over the PA (Japanese captains routinely do) and just have other people announce it.

Why wouldn't you just want a captain who flies the plane well?
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Captains rarely interact with passengers. Unless you fly on Southwest, which does not operate in the UK as far as I know.
Maybe a decade ago they would stand and greet you but you rarely see them. Most of the time they are in the cockpit before you get on the plane (depends on where you sit, obviously), and still in the cockpit when you get out. Some captains do not announce anything over the PA (Japanese captains routinely do) and just have other people announce it.

You don't fly BA much do you?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry

Not really the point, this is not about a lack of interaction from a captain.

Just a thought @Killian_S, is there a chance that the captain was being humourous/sarcastic? British sarcasm can sometimes come across badly.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox
You don't fly BA much do you?
Not at all. I go out of my way to avoid them.

I do like the people on the BA forum though, and their sense of humor.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Not at all. I go out of my way to avoid them.

I do like the people on the BA forum though, and their sense of humor.
If you flew BA more you would have noticed that the captain on SH flights typically stands at the open cockpit door while passengers are disembarking to say good-bye. I have used this in a few occasions where there had been security issues on the flights and the captain always asked me to step aside to get detailed feedback.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
I know all too well in my line of work that there are always two sides to any interaction. Without knowing both, we cannot comment further.

Last edited by TheFlyingCyclist; Nov 11, 2018 at 1:58 pm
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
I feel there is a bit of a sense of humour failure going on here.
HIDDY and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:57 pm

I think that a captain in such a state of mind may have safety implications, and I would be surprised also.
mradey likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:01 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I'm not questioning the OP, but it just seems odd. The aisle on the upper deck is a lot wider than those on the lower deck. I don't think I would have any problem getting past another passenger (and I'm far from skinny!). It sounds like the crew member was going out of his way to be confrontational. Which is not a trait I have encountered in any other BA pilots. Maybe he was just having a very bad day, but that's still no excuse. No harm in feeding back to BA.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I better confine my comments here, I've a sneaky feeling I know who that pilot was. And flight crew are humans and consequently encompass quite a span of their qualities. Hopefully that doesn't come as too much of a shock. There are some flight crew who cabin crew know to avoid, or limit social interactions, and there are some CSDs and CSMs who try their best to ensure that certain flight crew have as little inter-action with customers as possible, other than via the squawk box. Pilots aren't primarily employed for their customer service skills. That in no way interferes with their professionalism as pilots, you will hear comments like "he's appalling with customers, but if there was real trouble he's the one I would want up front" - and in any case these are the exceptions, there are many flight crew members who are held in high esteem by the cabin crew. There again, we all have a bad day sometimes, and some passengers don't half dilly dally.

Still, I would feed back. If you get a Tell-BA survey, some of them ask about flight crew.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
Not really the point, this is not about a lack of interaction from a captain.

Just a thought @Killian_S, is there a chance that the captain was being humourous/sarcastic? British sarcasm can sometimes come across badly.
Yep good point, but I know "banter" when I see it, and this was definitely not it. Nothing humorous either as the two people on the receiving end were elderly and the old lady appeared shaken. I know other much younger people (perhaps even including me) who may have been a little shaken if a 4-striper came at me like that..
wrp96, anniegray and FeedbirdNiner like this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is very atypical of BA flight deck crew. While they aren’t all warm and friendly, I’ve never see one behave discourteously.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I have found our Flight Crew universally polite this side of the flight deck door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.