Wiki Posts
Search

LGW FLounge: Rammed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
LGW FLounge: Rammed

Super busy in the LGW GF lounge today. Virtually every seat taken. Running out of food.

Someone’s just been told there’s a really long wait for menu food. And one of the staff has just rounded up and taken away all the menus.

Is it always like this on a Friday afternoon?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Yes its busy most of the time I've been there. To be honest, i hate the LGW F lounge. Small, busy and limited food variety. And ordered menu always take long. The staff though is very friendly.
I much prefer the Business Lounge ... it has showers and more space. The mezzanine is the place I really like. Comfort, privacy and generally less busy than the Ground floor.
TheOldMan likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:05 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I was there on Sunday evening and it was lovely. A maximum of 3 other people in the lounge between 7.00-8.30pm! Staff much better than the LHR lounge staff and I would say the food from the menu was better too.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
thankfully never encountered that, but then we’re usually Tue/Thu. Warning noted for future bookings!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:24 am

So, as a Yank, I would have said the lounge is "crammed". I would have said "rammed" if a Ryanair 737 had plunged into the building, coming to rest in the lounge.

Is "Rammed" a typo or one of those British things?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms
I was there on Sunday evening and it was lovely. A maximum of 3 other people in the lounge between 7.00-8.30pm! Staff much better than the LHR lounge staff and I would say the food from the menu was better too.
Yes when I’ve been before, and even a bit later on a Friday evening, I’ve never found it that busy.

They literally had no hot food available.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by xooz
So, as a Yank, I would have said the lounge is "crammed". I would have said "rammed" if a Ryanair 737 had plunged into the building, coming to rest in the lounge.

Rammed is a modern colloquialism in British English, meaning very crowded. It is also used in the context you describe for a collision, though hopefully not involving an aircraft (FR's or anyone else's...) meeting a terminal building...

Back on topic, I'm only an occasional user, it's usually been busy without being completely rammed . Food replenishment can be a bit patchy at times. I like it, and agree the staff are nice, though overall I do prefer the T5 Flounge.
mike&co likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Rammed is no typo. It’s a British expression for packed, a full house, etc.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
I’ve got my first visit there ( been to the Club Lounge, once before) a week today. 10.05 departure, so I guess we’ll be using it 0815-0915 ish. Is it likely to ram packed at that time ? I’m looking forward to a leisurely Full English with a Grey Goose Bloody Mary !
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
It's very time dependent. In the early to mid afternoon it can be very quiet. There are a lot of early flights from Gatwick (I'm on one tomorrow), and then it seems to quieten down a lot.

If it's full it's no great hardship to decamp next door where there's a decent spread and more space. But it's a smallish airport and you have to take the rough with the smooth.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
7am on a Saturday morning and it was blissful. Quiet, excellent food and very attentive service with plentiful champagne refills. A well done was duly submitted. Was really impressed but it depends when you go, I guess.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
...like the language?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
EVERY time, literally, we have managed to get the seats that directly overlook the ramp area.

Rammed? Ramped? Cramped? Crammed? Never in our experience.
Sealink likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze

It seems to have come along in the last few years, I think mostly (because its recent) used by the under 40/'s50's. I'm British but sadly have passed that milestone, so would normally say 'jammed' or 'crammed ' - or even 'packed'.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:33 pm

I learn something old every day...
But I'd be pissed if I got to the lounge and didn't have a place to sit and get pissed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.