Wiki Posts
Search

Double booking - will I have a problem?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Double booking - will I have a problem?

Hey, hoping some of you knowledgeable folks will be able to give me some steer on whether I can expect any issues with this

I have an itinerary booked in a few weeks time, with BA, in economy, booked via a travel agent: DUB-LHR-BNA (and then BNA-ORD-LHR on the return). London is my home city, and this was originally booked as a personal trip.

My employer has now asked me to attend some meetings in TPA on the same day I’m due to arrive back at LHR. So clearly the only way I can make this happen is to extend my stay for a few days, and book a fresh ticket for the journey home. (At employer’s expense, obviously)

To my mind, the simplest solution is to book an internal flight from BNA to TPA, and ditch the BNA-ORD-LHR. Then book a one way ticket from TPA back to London. But the TPA-LGW direct flight on the day I leave is coming in at around £6k for business. (Employer baulks at anything over £5k, which would send me to premium)

Earlier when I spoke to my employers travel provider (HRG) there was a suggestion that instead of booking a one way fare, instead they could book a return trip as LHR-BNA/TPA-LGW (or /TPA-MIA-LHR) - with the outbound leg in economy (since that was a personal flight anyway) and the return leg in business. This comes in at less than £3k, and it would keep me on the same LHR-BNA flight I was originally scheduled to be on (I’m travelling with a friend)

Will I run into problems with this? Will BA get suspicious and cancel my ticket? I will be checking a bag at DUB and have a slight concern that it won’t make it to BNA! I don’t want to see my employer pay over the odds, but I also don’t want to screw up my vacation beforehand because of ticketing issues.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Can't you amend your "personal" trip to include the detour to TPA and then get your employer to pay for it all? At the end of the day your employer is asking you to attend meetings, and it seems a little cheeky for them to benefit from your personal trip which is at your own expense.

Alternatively why not look at booking TPA - LGW - XXX where XXX is somewhere back in the USA (either TPA or MIA or somewhere else East Coast) and then "forget" to take that throwaway sector? You could probably book the return in the lowest available economy class. That will bring the price down to something that can be approved within your employer's travel policy and therefore allow you to fly in Club World.
Grimes likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for the common sense suggestions!

My employer’s policy is that all work travel has to be booked via HRG, so I must admit I hadn’t seriously considered trying to change my own booking. But that might well be worth a call, even if it is “out of policy” (I’ll end up on a naughty list)

Your second suggestion is beautiful in its simplicity. I’m going to get HRG to price that up

It has just occurred to me that if I did book the LHR-BNA/TPA-LGW then wouldn’t the ticket get cancelled after I failed to clear security at Heathrow? (Given that I’m starting my journey at DUB) seems yet another reason to resist this suggestion
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Grimes
Thanks for the common sense suggestions!

My employer’s policy is that all work travel has to be booked via HRG, so I must admit I hadn’t seriously considered trying to change my own booking. But that might well be worth a call, even if it is “out of policy” (I’ll end up on a naughty list)

Your second suggestion is beautiful in its simplicity. I’m going to get HRG to price that up

It has just occurred to me that if I did book the LHR-BNA/TPA-LGW then wouldn’t the ticket get cancelled after I failed to clear security at Heathrow? (Given that I’m starting my journey at DUB) seems yet another reason to resist this suggestion
Yes you would need to fly the outbound seat or the return would be canceled. You will find however that a return booked from the US is often quite a bit more expensive than a return booked from the UK for the reverse trip. It might be less expensive to book TPA-LHR-DUB and return avknto somewhere in the US much later and take a short trip to DUB. And make the return be during the dates when DUB-US is much cheaper (thanksgiving, Christmas, late March/early April, and summer).
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
If you make the return leg LGW to xxx well in the future, you can presumably use it as one half of a weekend break or something, rather than throwing it away. I assume it would be in J so seems a shame to waste it.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
BA would not cancel a duplicate booking if there is a ticket number in it, so you'll be fine in that regard. However, once you have no showed for the LHR-BNA flight, the entire second booking will be canceled. The best approach is to either amend your personal booking or buy a return ticket from TPA.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:41 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
similar but different question

[Tacking onto this as the nearest similar recent situation]

I've booked a simple LGW-AMS return next week, with a colleague. It would now be helpful to use the AMS-LGW leg as the start of a LH itin. I *think* from reading here and elsewhere that I'll be able to ticket that okay, with a duplicate booking on the AMS-LGW leg, but that at some point BA will autocancel it.

I don't think that I can cancel one leg for one pax online, I'll need to call up and do it, which sounds painful, so I'd rather just speak to the ticket desk at the LGW lounge on the way out to AMS. This would be the day before the AMS-LGW leg (c 30 hours) - would I be safe in not getting anything autocancelled by then, or is that going to just cause be problems, and I'm better to bite the bullet and spend time on hold listening to that music?

Thanks for info/advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.