Wiki Posts
Search

Charges on upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Charges on upgrades

Hi,

To bump up my BAEC TP to reach silver I wanted to take up the offer of £99 for an upgrade on LHR to CDG next month.

For both legs it's turned out to be £253.50.

What's with this surcharge!? Ridiculous! Is there any way around it?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Sounds like a special offer, or POUG. The £99 is a one way price, and should not attract any additional charge. The rest is likely a straight paid upgrade for the return, sounds like a POUG is not available for that sector. You don’t have to upgrade both sectors.
Cymro and sparkswillfly like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sparkswillfly
To bump up my BAEC TP to reach silver I wanted to take up the offer of £99 for an upgrade on LHR to CDG next month.

For both legs it's turned out to be £253.50.

What's with this surcharge!? Ridiculous! Is there any way around it?
What's ridiculous about it? As I read your post, £99 was the price (presumably a special offer aka POUG price) for upgrading LHR-CDG.

That would not involve any promise that it would also cost £99 to upgrade CDG-LHR. There may have been no special offer available for that sector, and it may have been that your only option was to upgrade in accordance with the fare rules to which you agreed when you bought your ticket.

You're never entitled to a cheapie upgrade. You can only get them if BA has some reason for offering them.
golfmad likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Probably additional passenger charge/tax from LHR because of the class of service?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
It's quite frequent to be offered a POUG just one way, with the other leg being "price will be displayed on next page".

Take the POUG, and don't select the second leg. There is a very high chance you will be offered another POUG a day or two before the flight for the other leg. In fact 100% in my case where I've done this.

I guess this slightly peculiar system is based on not wanting to compromise minimum stay requirements for cheaper CE fares, as you can turn a cheap day return into quite a cheap CE day return.
Pascoe likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by tanglin
Probably additional passenger charge/tax from LHR because of the class of service?
Which is £13 of the £99 cost.
Cymro and Oaxaca like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Sounds like a special offer, or POUG. The £99 is a one way price, and should not attract any additional charge. The rest is likely a straight paid upgrade for the return, sounds like a POUG is not available for that sector. You don’t have to upgrade both sectors.
Ah, I see what you mean. If I go for the one way UG that was offered it should just be the £99? I'll try that now. thanks
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
It's quite frequent to be offered a POUG just one way, with the other leg being "price will be displayed on next page".

Take the POUG, and don't select the second leg. There is a very high chance you will be offered another POUG a day or two before the flight for the other leg. In fact 100% in my case where I've done this.

I guess this slightly peculiar system is based on not wanting to compromise minimum stay requirements for cheaper CE fares, as you can turn a cheap day return into quite a cheap CE day return.

This was exactly the case and I now got the one way for £99, thanks all, much appreciated. I'll wait to see if I get an offer for the inbound in due course.
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
It's just an algorithm at the end of the day. They are totally within their commercial rights to try and see where the tipping point is price wise to tempt people to upgrade. And that can be led by supply and demand, passenger UG patterns, cabin fare differentials, some combination of the three or even tea leaves if they want. And therefore the only way to 'beat' the game is to truly understand the game.

Therefore ladies and gentlemen I give you....the best BA info resource on the web....Flyertalk BAEC forum.....

So many sharp cookies here. I have learned loads, and interacted with some good people here since I joined. Bisonrav's advice here for example is spot on.....
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
What's ridiculous about it? As I read your post, £99 was the price (presumably a special offer aka POUG price) for upgrading LHR-CDG.

That would not involve any promise that it would also cost £99 to upgrade CDG-LHR. There may have been no special offer available for that sector, and it may have been that your only option was to upgrade in accordance with the fare rules to which you agreed when you bought your ticket.

You're never entitled to a cheapie upgrade. You can only get them if BA has some reason for offering them.
Erm, thank for the attitude, nicer people than you have answered my question with some respect.

My point was .... actually, nah, can't be bothered explaining.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
My point was ...
... that it wasn't actually "ridiculous" at all for a £99 special offer to be available in one direction only, and for it to be a non-special offer price of £154.50 if you wanted to add the other direction as well.
golfmad and RDinJER like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Erm, thank for the attitude, nicer people than you have answered my question with some respect.

My point was .... actually, nah, can't be bothered explaining.
I can't see anything incorrect or disrespectful about Globaliser's response to your post. Quite the reverse actually. Get a grip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.