Wiki Posts
Search

Sucker for An Offer!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Sucker for An Offer!

My Mrs keeps having a go at me because we both achieved Silver this year but we're yet to fully appreciate any of the benefits because I keep upgrading us!

She's right but I can't help but look at the TPs gained and this year I will try to aim for Gold!

So our most recent one is our one way to Istanbul this December I promised to use the FULL benefits of our Silver status and to fly in Euro Traveller, which cost £140 each....... BUT I Just logged in to our booking and its offering £129 each to upgrade to CE which would give us an extra 60tp each!!!

Shall I forget it or lie to her and bag the 60tp for £129 which seems pretty decent to me!

Last edited by eugegall; Nov 3, 2018 at 4:39 am
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:34 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Bag the 60TP and go for Gold 😊
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Just take the POUG. You know you want to!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Daft question. You probably already have and want excuses to give Mrs E. Just tell her that only the best is good enough for her and no price is too high for her pleasure. She will, of course, not believe you for one moment but she will be impressed none the less.

Never forget the fool who said that Flattery gets you Nowhere was exactly that a fool. Phil the Flyer could award degrees in the subject as some of us know to our cost.
T8191, squawk, Mordac and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by BAEC
Bag the 60TP and go for Gold 😊
You would be a fool not to...
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
The argument I would use, is if you get to gold you can then book the best seats in economy long haul (row 28 is better than WT+ on a 747 in Mrs. Firstlights opinion) which then provides the absolute best value for money.
Mordac likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Do. It.

There's nothing clever about being uncomfortable and suffering BoB, especially on a long-ish flight like that.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:56 am

“Oh, BA seem to have upgraded us”

Technically still true...
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:59 am

There's a big difference in TPs from silver to gold. At that rate you'd have to upgrade 15 such flights which has a considerable time and financial cost.... Are you doing enough other travel to mean this one will make enough difference?

If you had to work at it to make silver then gold is a much bigger step. Now, there's nothing wrong with upgrading just because you want to do it but trying to justify it rationally may be tricky.
NeedstoFly likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
As the flight is in December, would be interesting to know if the AOUP generates additional TPs on the double base TP promo, could you report back on that?

It probably doesn't, but anyway you should find the increase from the upgrade itself offsets the cost.
madfish likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
As the flight is in December, would be interesting to know if the AOUP generates additional TPs on the double base TP promo, could you report back on that?

It probably doesn't, but anyway you should find the increase from the upgrade itself offsets the cost.
Is there a double Tier Points promo I didn't know about or do you mean double Avios?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hook, line and sinker.
BAEC likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
Is there a double Tier Points promo I didn't know about or do you mean double Avios?
Double avios, yes, apologies. Nursing a heavy cold this morning and prone to errors...
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Hook, line and sinker.
Yep they got me!! Took the offer!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Never forget the fool who said that Flattery gets you Nowhere was exactly that a fool. Phil the Flyer could award degrees in the subject as some of us know to our cost.
What did I do to deserve that? I’m sitting at home on a Saturday afternoon, minding my own business and watching the rugby, and I find myself being slagged off by the woman of my dreams!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.