Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by LimaWhiskey
Has anyone received payment or seen any progress?
No payment here yet no. I did hear from the ombudsman service this morning though to tell me they contacted Shieldpay about the complaint, and later this afternoon I received a “real” email from someone at Shieldpay saying I’m now part of the next payment run, and that they’ll come back to me with some clarity as to when I should expect to receive payment.. I didn’t quote their words as I don’t think I can, but that’s basically it.
Flies in the face of what Mikal said on September 17th about it being “today”.
Not sure this constitutes progress, but it’s something.
Btw Shieldpay are located in Altrincham, according to the ombudsman service, not Haywards Heath. Who knows who they are, or where.
LimaWhiskey likes this.

Last edited by kc1174; Nov 4, 2021 at 6:33 pm
Old Nov 5, 2021, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by kc1174
No payment here yet no. I did hear from the ombudsman service this morning though to tell me they contacted Shieldpay about the complaint, and later this afternoon I received a “real” email from someone at Shieldpay saying I’m now part of the next payment run, and that they’ll come back to me with some clarity as to when I should expect to receive payment.. I didn’t quote their words as I don’t think I can, but that’s basically it.
Flies in the face of what Mikal said on September 17th about it being “today”.
Not sure this constitutes progress, but it’s something.
Btw Shieldpay are located in Altrincham, according to the ombudsman service, not Haywards Heath. Who knows who they are, or where.
Thank you!

I wonder if they contract out the work
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD
Does anyone know how i can contact Shieldpay. I have not gotten my settlements yet, I recall there was a form before in the FAQ page to get hold of them but I cant find that now.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by db07mufan
Does anyone know how i can contact Shieldpay. I have not gotten my settlements yet, I recall there was a form before in the FAQ page to get hold of them but I cant find that now.
You can email [email protected] but don’t waste your time. They don’t answer and have no intention of paying. I submitted a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman but all they said was they forwarded it to ShieldPay and they should get back to me. Full response below. They are as utterly useless as ShiedPay. I gave a negative review in TrustPilot and that has also gone nowhere. The law firm also does not respond to emails. This whole thing is just criminal at this point and those of us not based in the UK have no recourse. I just don’t see how they can get away with keeping our money.

Response from the Ombudsman:
Thanks for getting in touch with us. We’ve contacted ShieldPay Ltd to tell them about your complaint – so they have a chance to put things right for you first.

ShieldPay Ltd should get in touch with you soon. If you need to get in touch with them, their contact details are:
ShieldPay Ltd
1 Ashley Road
Altrincham
Greater Manchester WA14 2DT

Next steps:
ShieldPay Ltd should give you their final response to your complaint – in writing – within eight weeks at the most.
At this stage, ShieldPay Ltd should also let you know that you've six months from the date of their response to come back to us if you’re not happy. We won’t take any further action unless we hear from you again – and I hope ShieldPay Ltd can resolve things for you.

What a load of crap.
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:06 pm

The same Mikal has stopped responding to my many follow ups.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 1:30 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Finkface
What a load of crap.
Seems reasonable to me. They've got 6 weeks to get it sorted before the Ombudsman will take action. You just need to wait 6 weeks.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Data Point for USA Residents: I finally received my payment on Nov 5th into a UK based account.

History: Way back in time I supplied a fully compliant statement (twice) to SPG/PGMBM when they requested them many, many months ago, maybe even last year. When ShieldPay subsequently requested another statement back on August 17, I sent it to them on the same day. When they asked for another statement 4 weeks later in mid September I sent them another statement on same day. All submissions were fully compliant, meaning that they supplied the required details and were dated well within the 3 month requirement. In mid October they asked for a statement again with no information as to why I would need to do this. At the same time I emailed PGMBM and Shield Pay requesting they expedite the payment. No response until, Nov 15th when Shield Pay (James Kaguima) emailed to state I had been paid, which I confirmed was deposited into my UK account on Nov 5th. No explanation or apology from ShieldPay.

Lesson: The statements I sent were about 5 weeks old because I only get statement when a transaction occurs (and I use my UK account infrequently). It is possible that delays at ShieldPay mean that when the statement was finally reviewed it was close enough to the 3 month age requirement that they decided they needed an updated one. They never told me this, but on the latest statement I forced a transaction to generate a new statement that was only one week old when I sent it, and payment was received about 3 weeks later.

Anyway, good luck to those still waiting. I suspect payment will be made eventually but PGMBM owe all concerned a sincere apology. The service from ShiedPay has been atrocious but ultimately we are clients of PGMBM not ShieldPay, and their lack of interaction and support of their clients is just as bad as the service provided by ShieldPay. I wont hold my breath on that one.
T8191 and LimaWhiskey like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 4:41 am

Update. I am U.S based with a US based Charles Schwab bank account and received a wire into my account for the full amount on 11/15.
LimaWhiskey likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 9:43 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by LimaWhiskey
Has anyone received payment or seen any progress?
yes as previously reported had mine ages ago now. Was a direct faster payment, not BACS payment.

Very happy with the amount !
Old Nov 19, 2021, 9:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Seems reasonable to me. They've got 6 weeks to get it sorted before the Ombudsman will take action. You just need to wait 6 weeks.
They’ve got 8 weeks to resolve it before you can refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman. They have just assigned a case from August 2020 to one of their case workers so once the Ombudsman have it expect 12-18 months for their ruling.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Well, I had to laugh yesterday. PGMBM finally replied to my hastening e-mail (and Trustpilot review) on the morning of 5 October!! All a bit pointless, as Shieldpay actually paid my claim on 5 October!
LimaWhiskey likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:05 am

I’m still waiting on payment. I made a complaint with the Ombudsman service, does the service have the ability to do anything substantial? And if not, are there other options?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD
Based in Malaysia, oh my god this is taking forever.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:29 am

I had provided a UK bank account months ago to Shieldpay. Never received payment.

Then a few weeks back some paralegal from PGMBM (Kiera Basi) wrote to say that payment has been made, but claimed that my bank had rejected the payment, and asked if that meant I no longer wish to accept payment. I replied to express surprise and stressed that I had never declined to accept the payment. No answer despite a few emails to this person.

Then another paralegal (Montea Gjegji) wrote more recently to say that per their records, payment has been made. I said I never received any payment, and that it should be investigated. Again no replies, despite a few emails.

What's the point of emailing a client, asking for a response which was provided immediately, only to go radio silent immediately after?!

I even called their number today (international phonecall) but was put on hold for 20+ minutes without anyone answering other than the pathetic holding message that "Your call is very important to us..." playing in a perpetual loop.

Is there someone else at this firm that anyone has had more success in contacting and is more responsive in resolving payment issues?
Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I had provided a UK bank account months ago to Shieldpay. Never received payment.

Then a few weeks back some paralegal from PGMBM (Kiera Basi) wrote to say that payment has been made, but claimed that my bank had rejected the payment, and asked if that meant I no longer wish to accept payment. I replied to express surprise and stressed that I had never declined to accept the payment. No answer despite a few emails to this person.

Then another paralegal (Montea Gjegji) wrote more recently to say that per their records, payment has been made. I said I never received any payment, and that it should be investigated. Again no replies, despite a few emails.

What's the point of emailing a client, asking for a response which was provided immediately, only to go radio silent immediately after?!

I even called their number today (international phonecall) but was put on hold for 20+ minutes without anyone answering other than the pathetic holding message that "Your call is very important to us..." playing in a perpetual loop.

Is there someone else at this firm that anyone has had more success in contacting and is more responsive in resolving payment issues?

I am in a similar situation, received a phone call from a paralegal agent saying payment bounced back from the bank provided (Irish based) . Asked to email bank details again or alternative bank. No clue why the payment allegedly bounced back.
Provided alternative details two weeks ago. Nothing heard back since.
Zero expectation and confidence in this company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.