Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Two Week Extension

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: Executive Club
Another point related to this. If you are ill and can't fly, you should be able to blag another year in your old tier. At least I managed to. I was declared unfit to fly so had to cancel two flights. I have been Silver for many years, so I asked BA if I could keep my Silver status for another year as the only reason I hadn't made it was due to being unfit to fly and they agreed. They did have a doctor's letter that I was unfit to fly, and could see that the flights I had cancelled would have taken me into Silver.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by testycal
Now getting nervous...now 40 days since I made the request for extension. Promised multiple times it would be taken care of and was in process. Benefits end Dec 31. I am flying Jan 9. Suggestions who to follow up with at this point?
I would suggest you now send a concise PM to this person:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/priv...newpm&u=729498

She is there mainly for other reasons but I think she may look into this for you, as a point of escalation and an exception. Given the UK public holidays I wouldn't expect an immediate reply.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JonathanB
Another point related to this. If you are ill and can't fly, you should be able to blag another year in your old tier. At least I managed to. I was declared unfit to fly so had to cancel two flights. I have been Silver for many years, so I asked BA if I could keep my Silver status for another year as the only reason I hadn't made it was due to being unfit to fly and they agreed. They did have a doctor's letter that I was unfit to fly, and could see that the flights I had cancelled would have taken me into Silver.
I'm not looking to blag it, but I had a three and a half month period in which I couldn't fly, right upon making gold. Who did you contact? I do have 1150 TPS booked in already, but certainly cutting it fine to reach gold again. I can prove with medical docs and all the rehab stuff the situation.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:42 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Now getting nervous...now 40 days since I made the request for extension. Promised multiple times it would be taken care of and was in process. Benefits end Dec 31. I am flying Jan 9. Suggestions who to follow up with at this point?
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would suggest you now send a concise PM to this person:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/priv...newpm&u=729498

She is there mainly for other reasons but I think she may look into this for you, as a point of escalation and an exception. Given the UK public holidays I wouldn't expect an immediate reply.
I’m in an almost identical position, albeit it’s marginally more urgent because I fly on both 1st (from GLA in CE, so no practical difference) and 4th (from LHR, very early departure, so First Wing is going to be very helpful).

I’ve had three conversations with the Gold line. One to lodge the claim in mid-November, one to verify it had been approved, and a third one to understand why my account still showed (and still shows) a card expiry of 31st December.

That final call yielded the information that the status is only now applied the day after the old one expires, i.e. I should expect to see my Gold status carry over for another year on 1st January. If this is true then the procedure has changed a little, although quite why there’s any gain in this is a mystery to me.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: OWS, *A G
I can only repeat my praise of the Twitter team - they were the ones who sorted it out for me, including a personalised (and indeed personal) follow up email from the person who processed my renewal.

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
That final call yielded the information that the status is only now applied the day after the old one expires, i.e. I should expect to see my Gold status carry over for another year on 1st January. If this is true then the procedure has changed a little, although quite why there’s any gain in this is a mystery to me.
This would explain why I got a 25-month status validity when it was eventually renewed (technically I was re-upgraded).
Old Dec 29, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by TTmex
I'm not looking to blag it, but I had a three and a half month period in which I couldn't fly, right upon making gold. Who did you contact? I do have 1150 TPS booked in already, but certainly cutting it fine to reach gold again. I can prove with medical docs and all the rehab stuff the situation.
I just called the Exec Club number and spoke to a really nice lady who is involved in administering accounts. She said she would get my case looked at and I got an email to say I would remain at Silver for an extra year.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I just called the Exec Club number and spoke to a really nice lady who is involved in administering accounts. She said she would get my case looked at and I got an email to say I would remain at Silver for an extra year.
So you were able to blag a second year? With your post above it seemed you were reporting that you had previously done it and now with this post it seems you just did it again?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:55 am

I just called the Exec Club number ...
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
With your post above it seemed you were reporting that you had previously done it and now with this post it seems you just did it again?
I think that depends on whether you take JonathanB's use of 'just' to mean 'a moment ago' or 'merely'.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I think that depends on whether you take JonathanB's use of 'just' to mean 'a moment ago' or 'merely'.
Thanks. I meant "merely", I only asked once and was only given one extra year.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Thanks. I meant "merely", I only asked once and was only given one extra year.
Don't worry. Your message was loud and clear.

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
care to explain as unclear what this means

Originally Posted by zat_dude
I can only repeat my praise of the Twitter team - they were the ones who sorted it out for me, including a personalised (and indeed personal) follow up email from the person who processed my renewal.

This would explain why I got a 25-month status validity when it was eventually renewed (technically I was re-upgraded).
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:24 pm
Community Director

So, I can report this morning that everything BA told me about the status auto-rolling on the day after expiration was, in fact, absolute baloney.

My account now shows Silver, and all TPs from the two week extension remain in my account. What annoys me most is that whoever I spoke to on the Gold line either made it up (and it was a very elaborate thing to make up) or just wanted me off the line.

MrsNWI is in exactly the same position.

Time for Twitter ...
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
No auto rolling. When advised change was pending was told on December 20 a couple of days.

My account shows Bronze this morning. Called EC and told vetting has to go through 3 supervisors. Now with 3rd supervisor who apparently will be in today. Told today that it will take 48 to 72 hours to go through after 3rd supervisor authorizes the extension. EC told me that they usually estimate 28 days to finalize the extension. Agent told me that she had not experienced a delay as in my case. What is a drag is I can no longer change my seats until Silver is reinstated. All these little things add up when weighing the quality of the service being provided and FRANKLY....a little tired of being told we will do better next time. I think BA thinks there will always be a next time. All it takes is three to four business class avios redemption tickets to burn through my avios balance and I move on.

Last edited by testycal; Jan 1, 2020 at 6:38 am
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:06 am
Community Director

The Twitter team told me they’d passed my case onto the EC to deal with, but in view of the urgency given my imminent travel and the 48 to 72 hours quoted, I rang the Gold line to check the timescale.

I was told that both applications had been approved and the agent could not understand why the status had not been renewed. She told me she’d sent them down to be processed and that my status would return to Gold at midnight tonight.

@testycal, based on my experience I’d be inclined to call back later and push for a more immediate resolution.
testycal likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:29 am

No auto rolling. When advised change was pending was told on December 20 a couple of days.

My account shows Bronze this morning. Called EC and told vetting has to go through 3 supervisors. Now with 3rd supervisor who apparently will be in today. Told today that it will take 48 to 72 hours to go through after 3rd supervisor authorizes the extension. EC told me that they usually estimate 28 days to finalize the extension. Agent told me that she had not experienced a delay as in my case. What is a drag is I can no longer change my seats until Silver is reinstated. All these little things add up when weighing the quality of the service being provided and FRANKLY....a little tired of being told we will do better next time. I think BA thinks there will always be a next time. All it takes is three to four business class avios redemption tickets to burn through my avios balance and I move on.
I know it's easy to get angry over things like this, but BA is offering a concession that they don't need to offer. They would be completely within their rights to say that your year ends on the date shown and nothing after this counts. I was going to be in the same situation as you so decided to do a tier points run just to cover myself and had a lovely few days in Marrakech for the same cost as seat selection on one flight would have cost me if I had been downgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.