Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malpensa v Linate - technical diversion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:17 pm

I’m sure they’d accept an emergency if they had to (they wouldn’t really have a choice).

If MXP had similar weather, time to landing etc, insisting on landing and potentially closing Linate for essentially commercial reasons when there’s an airport with which you are familiar, with 2 longer runways, in the same city, with company staff and engineering may take a bit of justification.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver

Thats not actually correct anyhow. You can take credit for use of reverse thrust in landing calculations.
thank you 😉

(initially I’d written “not officially perhaps” but decided to keep it simple)
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
I thought takeoffs/landings were impossible without flaps?
All aircraft land eventually, flaps or no flaps
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
I’m sure they’d accept an emergency if they had to (they wouldn’t really have a choice).

If MXP had similar weather, time to landing etc, insisting on landing and potentially closing Linate for essentially commercial reasons when there’s an airport with which you are familiar, with 2 longer runways, in the same city, with company staff and engineering may take a bit of justification.
Quite so, but that's the Commander's decision after declaring an emergency, not that of someone on the ground?

I'm finding the idea of the people on the ground denying a landing because of the type of emergency to be ... quite questionable.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
Quite so, but that's the Commander's decision after declaring an emergency, not that of someone on the ground?

I'm finding the idea of the people on the ground denying a landing because of the type of emergency to be ... quite questionable.
In a major emergency all options are open but maybe there is an agreement that wherever possible Malpensa will be used due to better facilities?

It is not unheard of for airports to be designated for incidents, just like Stansted is used wherever possible for hijack incidents. Nor is it unheard of for airlines to have preferred destinations in the event of technical issues.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:04 am

The notes for the airfield state that "Unless in case of emergency, landing for ACFT with any type of landing gear failure is prohibited".

This is perfectly reasonable, there are many types of gear failure that will show up well in advance of having to land, especially when you consider the other airfields within a few minutes flying time from Linate. The hydraulic failure in this case meant several minutes of thinking and planning the approach, given the extra length of runway and proximity of MXP, its a simple decision without the restriction at LIN. You can argue that the G Had fail was an emergency - but was it really? more like a reduced state of capability, but there was no fire or failure of a power unit etc, there was no immediate threat to life and none at all given the nature of the problem.

If they had been on fire or had no diversion fuel left etc then landing at LIN would not be precluded because of airfield restrictions. For example LHR will not accept aircraft on diversion, its too crowded. However, if you are on fire and LHR is not your airfield of landing but the closest one, a MAYDAY call will let you land at LHR, or indeed any airfield you want - you will have to justify your actions at a later date, all perfectly normal and routine.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Yes, that all seems like I think it should be too. Thanks for the patient and detailed explanation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.