FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Malpensa v Linate - technical diversion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1936618-malpensa-v-linate-technical-diversion.html)

scottishpoet Oct 21, 2018 3:09 am

Malpensa v Linate - technical diversion

I see BA570 diverted to Malpensa from Linate due to a technical issue

Would this be because it was felt the engineers available at Malpensa were better able to resolve the problem?

maastrichtmouse Oct 21, 2018 3:47 am

I think your 'from' and 'to' are the wrong way round.

Assume you meant into Malpensa not Linate? If so would imagine its just more flight options at Malpensa than at little Linate.

DYKWIA Oct 21, 2018 3:48 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet (Post 30338655)
I see BA570 diverted from Malpensa to Linate due to a technical issue

Would this be because it was felt the engineers available at Malpensa were better able to resolve the problem?

Maybe because of the longer runways at MXP?

4000m v 2500m

scottishpoet Oct 21, 2018 5:00 am

Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse (Post 30338713)
I think your 'from' and 'to' are the wrong way round.

Assume you meant into Malpensa not Linate? If so would imagine its just more flight options at Malpensa than at little Linate.

Thanks, I have fixed the original post

Often1 Oct 21, 2018 5:31 am

Very much doubt that dispatchers working with ATC make diversion decisions based on rerouting alternatives.

An aircraft at takeoff is almost certainly too heavy to land back at a smaller airport. The longer the runway the less time it has to spend in the air and the less fuel it has to dump (a last resort for emergencies). Thus, diverting to a longer runway will always be a priority if all other factors are at least equal.

scottishpoet Oct 21, 2018 6:04 am

I would assume the fuel used from LHR to Linate and Malpensa would be roughly the same so I doubt the reason for the diversion to Malpensa was it being too fuel heavy toward the end of the flight

nancypants Oct 21, 2018 6:09 am

That’s only one reason- things like flapless landings, loss of reverse thrust, etc etc, all require a longer stopping distance

wingtip428 Oct 21, 2018 7:01 am

Hydraulics issue, longer runway needed for landing.

Jumbodriver Oct 21, 2018 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30338861)
Very much doubt that dispatchers working with ATC make diversion decisions based on rerouting alternatives.

An aircraft at takeoff is almost certainly too heavy to land back at a smaller airport. The longer the runway the less time it has to spend in the air and the less fuel it has to dump (a last resort for emergencies). Thus, diverting to a longer runway will always be a priority if all other factors are at least equal.

We don’t have dispatchers, they’re a North American thing not used in many other parts of the world. All decisions are made by the flight crew.

A320s can’t dump fuel.

In the event of a failure affecting landing performance there are a big set of tables which give the new landing distance required. There’s a strong possibility that Linate would be too short for some of these failures especially as there is pretty much normally a tailwind at Linate.

rapidex Oct 21, 2018 7:18 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 30338925)
That’s only one reason- things like flapless landings, loss of reverse thrust, etc etc, all require a longer stopping distance

Reverse thrust is not factored into landing distance required.

13901 Oct 21, 2018 8:36 am

Was it a technical issue with the plane, or a situation such as fog? MXP isn't as affected by it as LIN, for instance.

From an engineering point of view, both airports are now outsourced. I think in both cases the line maintenance is provided by Alitalia; their engineers are usually quite good. MXP also has the advantage of a fully-equipped hangar, owned and used by Lufthansa Technik, where they do Line and service checks on EasyJet and various carriers; I don't know, however, if BA has any agreement there with LHT besides the usual spares sharing system.

scottishpoet Oct 21, 2018 9:27 am

according to thebasource it was a technical diversion

return flight was cancelled, aircraft may still be on the ground in Milan but is scheduled to go to reykjavik tomorrow morning

nancypants Oct 22, 2018 4:46 am

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 30339074)
Reverse thrust is not factored into landing distance required.

not officially...but if you were on the borderline otherwise and knew you had an issue, would you risk it?

PUCCI GALORE Oct 22, 2018 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver (Post 30339042)

We don’t have dispatchers, they’re a North American thing not used in many other parts of the world. All decisions are made by the flight crew.

A320s can’t dump fuel.

Really? Why would that be? What about other Airbus aircraft?

Sorry to batter your with questions.

I can totally understand why they'd divert from Linate. It is in the middle of a large housing development and very close to downtown. MXP is miles from anywhere and has long runways. If there was a problem, the one runway was bocked, Linate would close. It would have no option.

Jumbodriver Oct 22, 2018 5:23 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 30342152)

not officially...but if you were on the borderline otherwise and knew you had an issue, would you risk it?

Thats not actually correct anyhow. You can take credit for use of reverse thrust in landing calculations.