Wiki Posts
Search

BA178 (Daylight JFK-LHR) CW Meal Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Whiterose
Thank you CIHY for telling me that I am pathetic, pig myself and cannot exercise restraint. FYI I had a modest offering from memory of fruit and yogurt in the lounge. Like many others, I dislike breakfast on board and for me, it's too early in the flight.

My choice would have been coffee and maybe if anyone requires it something tiny (the mini sandwiches from afternoon tea?) but otherwise nothing till a main meal a couple of hours before landing.

We were trialling BA after many, many flights with VS; back to VS for us I think.
I didn’t tell you that I was generalising but if the cap fits.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

It was the same on my last ever BA flight (DXB-LHR, morning flight). Had breakfast in the lounge, only to find a full breakfast on board an hour after take off. Then nothing until the poor "snack" 90 minutes out. Of course, the Club Kitchen was empty when I got a bit peckish after a few hours.

The CW purser (or whatever they are called) said hardly anybody eats the meal on that flight...

As has been pointed out, much better to have a light breakfast (coffee/juice/pastry etc.) after take off, followed by lunch / dinner (depending on which way you are travelling).
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
I took on this flight a couple weeks ago with my boyfriend, and oddly, it seemed worse (less filling? less satisfying? just not enough? just worse options?) than on previously on the day flight, since otherwise there's been such an improvement in CW food. The second meal, in particular, was lacking. The boyfriend is usually not fussy about plane food, but he's taken the taken the 178 in First a few times in the last year, so I guess this is a flight where CW is noticeably worse.

But, on the plus side, service was fantastic on the upper deck. (Overall, my best BA flights have been on the upper deck on the day flight.) I never wanted for bubbles, and a bottle of champagne was packed off with me to enjoy later, as was the remaining stash of lemon melts from the Club Kitchen.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
You'd hope BA would be able to concoct a menu that offered both a substantial meal and something lighter, but instead you get a fudge which is Afternoon Tea which probably suits hardly anyone.
Sadly, you don't even get afternoon tea. You get some crap micro-tapas which are gone in a mouthful.

My ideal 178 menu:

After Departure:
Coffee & Tea, bacon rolls, pastries, fruit & yogurt, cold cuts, etc., but not a full brekky.

Mid-flight Club Kitchen:
Sandwiches, pasta salads, snacks, etc.

Before Arrival - bar run, followed by Dinner with no starter course, but the following choices:
2x hot mains
1x dinner salad
1x warm sandwich
Dessert

There ought to be something there to keep most people going and fit most appetites and after-travel plans.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In 6 hours, Jesus what a porker.
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Those who believe that they are better off on AA or VS are free to book one of those carriers. Not sure why this is such a big issue. If it is important to you and you are paying for J, why book on a carrier which does not meet your needs?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
For god sake breakfast IS a main meal and as said there is as much food served on this fligh as the one to JFK, I think all this moaning about the lack of food on a 6 hour flight absolutely pathetic.
You okay, CIHY? Complaints about flying is what we do here, so maybe something else is bugging you and you're taking it out on OP?

It isn't like OP asked for compensation! Nobody else is even that worked up, it's a pretty good discussion of alternatives and preferences.
​​​​​
SK and User Name like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some seem to choose with their stomachs, large ones I bet?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
You okay, CIHY? Complaints about flying is what we do here, so maybe something else is bugging you and you're taking it out on OP?

It isn't like OP asked for compensation! I happen to agree with the others that the main breakfast makes sense but it isn't worthy of raising your blood pressure!
I’m not taking out on anyone, just saying what I think which I believe I’m free to do this?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

I’m not taking out on anyone, just saying what I think which I believe I’m free to do this?
You're of course welcome to your opinion, but you used bold, a minor expletive (God dam it), and an angry emoji! It surprised me.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
In 6 hours, Jesus what a porker.
Tut. Wasn't suggesting I eat ALL of it. I think it's about giving folk who are shelling out for J some options to suit how their day comes together.

Some folk may have been up since 3 or 4am.

Some folk may have a lengthy ground journey to complete.

Others may live around the corner from one or both airports and have a shorter day.

The overall problem is that BA at a corporate level seem to often forget that the passenger's journey does not begin at check-in and end when they go landside at the destination airport, and this doesn't just apply to catering, but a general observation.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m making a point, you don’t have to agree and I don’t have to care what you think.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC - on their daytime flight from YYZ - serve a light breakfast after take off and then a proper meal before landing. Far more sensible. However it would require both imagination and awareness of other airlines products for BA to do this, neither of which are strong suits of the current management (save for benchmarking against Ryanair and Norwegian of course).
SK, Dave_C, lukew and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjh0
Tut. Wasn't suggesting I eat ALL of it. I think it's about giving folk who are shelling out for J some options to suit how their day comes together.

Some folk may have been up since 3 or 4am.

Some folk may have a lengthy ground journey to complete.

Others may live around the corner from one or both airports and have a shorter day.

The overall problem is that BA at a corporate level seem to often forget that the passenger's journey does not begin at check-in and end when they go landside at the destination airport, and this doesn't just apply to catering, but a general observation.
That’s why we provide food in the lounge, the problem is some people don’t won’t to eat breakfast twice, my advice in you don’t need too, choose one.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
AC - on their daytime flight from YYZ - serve a light breakfast after take off and then a proper meal before landing. Far more sensible. However it would require both imagination and awareness of other airlines products for BA to do this, neither of which are strong suits of the current management (save for benchmarking against Ryanair and Norwegian of course).
That’s what you think because you prefer that option, personally my experience tells me that the majority of normal eater don’t.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.