Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA178 (Daylight JFK-LHR) CW Meal Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
I d this flight about once a month - I love the timings. I think the food is completely appropriate - I want something substantial after take off and then something light just before I land. So I think they are right on this one.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
N

Deleted.

Last edited by User Name; Oct 20, 2018 at 7:46 am
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Can I help you
For god sake breakfast IS a main meal and as said there is as much food served on this fligh as the one to JFK, I think all this moaning about the lack of food on a 6 hour flight absolutely pathetic.
The point IS that you can eat at the airport and/or in the lounge and therefore don't necessarily want to eat another meal on board so soon. If you pass on (board) breakfast you get almost nothing since you had breakfast in the lounge until you get off or reach your destination.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:44 am

For god sake breakfast IS a main meal and as said there is as much food served on this fligh as the one to JFK, I think all this moaning about the lack of food on a 6 hour flight absolutely pathetic.
No, the point is that BA is so rigid in its procedures that it can’t get its head around serving the light meal first and the main meal later.

we can all speculate why this might be, but I’m not certain its customer preferences at play...
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
The point IS that you can eat at the airport and/or in the lounge and therefore don't necessarily want to eat another meal on board so soon. If you pass on (board) breakfast you get almost nothing since you had breakfast in the lounge until you get off or reach your destination.
Isn't that the same for other long haul flights?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
This is a really difficult flight to cater for. You have around 6 hours from pushback, so in reality the crew probably only has around 5 hours from being released after take-off to having to secure the cabin for landing to prepare two meals whilst also dealing with all the other service requirements of a cabin that's more likely to be awake. There's therefore much less 'dead' time when passengers are sleeping on the evening flights to prepare the meals for the following morning.

It seems, to me, perfectly logical to have breakfast as the first meal - for that morning flight there's going to be many people who arrive at the airport as late as possible and actually don't have time for breakfast in the lounge. At somewhere around 9.30am local time you're unlikely to want a full-blown three course midday or evening meal.

So when the next meal arrives 3 or so hours later, it's around lunchtime in NYC and early teatime in the UK - and therein lies the real problem. Some people will want something light to tide them over until they reach their hotels or home in the early evening. Others will have longer journeys and will want something more substantial. You'd hope BA would be able to concoct a menu that offered both a substantial meal and something lighter, but instead you get a fudge which is Afternoon Tea which probably suits hardly anyone.

I don't know the logistics of offering something different, and maybe serving more than one type of meal in CW is just too difficult for the CC in the time available - perhaps that's something CIHY could comment on.
No it's not. I did the Air Canada day flight from Toronto to London which is very similar.

They serve a hot breakfast after boarding, for example an omelette, fruit, pastries and yogurt, but all one one tray.

Then around ninety minutes before landing, a full dinner service with starters, salad, main course, cheese, then pudding.

Easy.
SK and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
I flew with BA on the BA122 Doha-LHR in J, flight departure at 08:30 I think or thereabouts, and I was surprised to be served lunch at 09:30 when I was hoping for a full English. Obviously this was in the days before the flight was regularly cancelled.

I can't see BA moving to dine on demand, which if offered would get around the OPs issues
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There is no logistic reason to serve the meals the way we do or cost reasons but it is based on the time of departure time, if people choose to pig themselves in the lounge and eat too much before boarding it is the same as doing the same ex LHR before lunch is served.
It seems to me that some people cannot exercise restraint.
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i never eat breakfast on BA longhauls, mostly because i find it unimpressive as i do with pretty much every airline breakfast. too much dairy and bread across the board.

while i do love the day flight, yes the bfast-only thing is quite annoying because i'd rather have a lunch meal to get on london time, knowing by the time i get home it will be late evening.

but i am exactly the example of "no matter how it is done," it will never be to the liking of everyone!

...so i just stuff as many bags of crisps from the lounge my bag will carry! (kidding)
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I've always argued that these types of flights should be "Brunch" flights, a meal similar-sized to lunch/dinner which can be served in courses. Years ago, AA did an excellent job of this on international daytime flights in all classes of service. (F/J/Y).
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Whiterose
There are threads on this but not recently. We flew the 178 in May and unfortunately are booked to fly the same flight in November

Has anyone more recent experience since May? Are BA still offering only breakfast, no main meal? Flight departs at 0805 so pax will have been at JFK for a couple of hours and passed the time I assume, as we did, with breakfast in the lounge. An hour or two after take-off, a meal appears. Breakfast. Then nothing till shortly before arrival when a ridiculous offering called "afternoon tea" appears, three miniature sandwiches and three equally miniature dolls house size cakes.

By the time you're through immigration and baggage claim if you've checked luggage, it's 8.00 or even 9.00, you've missed lunch by NYC time, and lunch and evening meal by UK time. In contrast, last month we flew Aegean Air, shorter flight, smaller airline but nevertheless we had a quite reasonable four-course meal on each flight.

Has BA178 CW changed? Please tell me it has!
Breakfast is a main meal.

The flight departs at 7:55 AM. That is breakfast time in most of the world.

If service begins as late as 8:55 AM, that is still breakfast time in most of the world.

If one is at JFK by 6:30 AM and left home / hotel at 5:30 AM to make it to the airport, it is unlikely that one has eaten much and it is equally unlikely that one will arise even earlier to spend time in a lounge.

This seems a rational meal service for a flight at this time. One may fly later in the day or at night as well.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent British Airways’ positions, strategies or opinions
... or media communication style :-)

(even though you are right, I'm sure there's plenty of food and I can't believe most people here have never had an all-day breakfast at midday and survived just fine)
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:29 am

Thank you CIHY for telling me that I am pathetic, pig myself and cannot exercise restraint. FYI I had a modest offering from memory of fruit and yogurt in the lounge. Like many others, I dislike breakfast on board and for me, it's too early in the flight.

My choice would have been coffee and maybe if anyone requires it something tiny (the mini sandwiches from afternoon tea?) but otherwise nothing till a main meal a couple of hours before landing.

We were trialling BA after many, many flights with VS; back to VS for us I think.
SK, User Name and mediator like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
This is a really difficult flight to cater for. You have around 6 hours from pushback, so in reality the crew probably only has around 5 hours from being released after take-off to having to secure the cabin for landing to prepare two meals whilst also dealing with all the other service requirements of a cabin that's more likely to be awake. There's therefore much less 'dead' time when passengers are sleeping on the evening flights to prepare the meals for the following morning.

It seems, to me, perfectly logical to have breakfast as the first meal - for that morning flight there's going to be many people who arrive at the airport as late as possible and actually don't have time for breakfast in the lounge. At somewhere around 9.30am local time you're unlikely to want a full-blown three course midday or evening meal.

So when the next meal arrives 3 or so hours later, it's around lunchtime in NYC and early teatime in the UK - and therein lies the real problem. Some people will want something light to tide them over until they reach their hotels or home in the early evening. Others will have longer journeys and will want something more substantial. You'd hope BA would be able to concoct a menu that offered both a substantial meal and something lighter, but instead you get a fudge which is Afternoon Tea which probably suits hardly anyone.

I don't know the logistics of offering something different, and maybe serving more than one type of meal in CW is just too difficult for the CC in the time available - perhaps that's something CIHY could comment on.
its really not that hard.
Virgin manage just fine on their competing flight. As do AA on the slightly later AA142.
the catering is a BA problem not a systemic one. Nothing new there then!
SK, Dave_C, mrow and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
It's been breakfast for about twenty years. It's unlikely to change for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.