Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LGW "Extra" Runway By Using Emergency Runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:30 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold

LGW proposes to increase capacity by simultaneously using the standby / emergency runway for small aircraft and short haul flights and says it will also make use of new technology to increase capacity on the main runway too. The locals are up in arms calling it a "betrayal" but not sure how it can be seen as this because the legal agreement that prevented this from happening before expires next year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-45861559

Curious as to how they are able to use both simultaneously as IIRC, experts have always stated they are too closely spaced to support true simultaneous ops? Or is it as simple as a departing aircraft can line up and hold on one runway whilst another is landing on the adjacent runway and could then depart once the landing aircraft is on the ground? So kind of pseudo-simultaneous ops, but not suite as LHR operates with the capacity increase by means of significantly reducing waiting time between each arrival and departure?

If it goes ahead hopefully BA will use some of the extra capacity (although not sure yet they have fully used all the Monarch slots yet)

Last edited by BOH; Oct 15, 2018 at 8:11 am
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Taxy arrangements would be interesting, but yes, that could be achieved. Your point about parallel operation is correct, but careful sequencing could achieve the desired object. With careful sequencing and control, dual operation could work ... why have they never tried it before, would be my question!

It will be interesting to hear an LGW ATCOs perspective (do we have one here?) but it could certainly be stimulating, especially on Ground.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by T8191
why have they never tried it before, would be my question!
It is legally prohibited by an agreement made between BAA and West Sussex Council in 1979 for a 40 year period.
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:17 am
BOH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Taxy arrangements would be interesting, but yes, that could be achieved. Your point about parallel operation is correct, but careful sequencing could achieve the desired object. With careful sequencing and control, dual operation could work ... why have they never tried it before, would be my question! .
Probably because of the legal position the linked article mentions that prevents both being used prior to 2019. Although it may well have been thought about before as being a possibility because at some point this legal arrangement was drawn up to specifically prevent it. A bit like the Cranford Agreement preventing routine departures at LHR on the east facing northerly runway (can't remember the runway number) or the Bermuda II agreement - probably well meaning and necessary when they were put in place but there comes a time to revisit these...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:23 am
BOH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airprox
It is legally prohibited by an agreement made between BAA and West Sussex Council in 1979 for a 40 year period.
You beat me to it! Any idea why this legal restriction was put onto LGW back in 1979? As a guess, was it in exchange for the go-ahead to build the North Terminal that opened around 87-88?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by BOH
You beat me to it! Any idea why this legal restriction was put onto LGW back in 1979? As a guess, was it in exchange for the go-ahead to build the North Terminal that opened around 87-88?
Unfortunately it pre-dates my existence in this world by a few years and therefore my involvement in the industry by a couple of decades, so I'm afraid I don't know that specifically. Your guess is certainly a very likely one.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BOH
According to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time...atwick_Airport

August 1979: BAA signed a legally binding agreement with West Sussex County Council not to build another runway at Gatwick for 40 years in return for gaining approval to upgrade the taxiway running parallel to the airport's existing runway to an emergency landing strip.[113]
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
SORRY! OK, the legal agreement. I hang my head in shame!

But my ATCO's head is buzzing with how it could be made to work with the extant airfield layout.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:51 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Please continue to contribute to this discussion in the existing thread in the UK & Ireland forum.

Project Genesis - LGW 2nd-ish runway

/mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.