Search

Will this flight be allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Gold
Will this flight be allowed?

Hello All,

Firstly, I was wondering if anyone can tell me why Google Flights shows flights that don't seem to be possible? Often I'll get one with a 90 min connection that then isn't allowed by BA. Is it just a bit dim or is there a way around this?

Secondly, I'm looking to book a quick run to AMS for Gold next month and wondered if this will be allowed? It shows on BA but will it be tight with only an hour in LHR coming back?

Thanks all!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by tb10
Often I'll get one with a 90 min connection that then isn't allowed by BA. Is it just a bit dim or is there a way around this?
Why wouldn't BA allow it? Minimum connection time at LHR is 60 mins if same terminal and 90 mins if T5-T3.

Are you perhaps comparing to BA.com where the booking engine will not offer short connections by default (I think it prefers 2 hrs). Nonetheless shorter connections are bookable - use multi city and pick the exact flights you want.
spicysoup likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

That's great. I didn't know the minimum was so short. Thank you.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
That's great. I didn't know the minimum was so short. Thank you.
The minimum is terrifyingly short considering you have to go through security again at LHR, I fully expect to miss my upcoming connection that is 60mins (I had booked 120mins but BA have moved the flight).
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
The minimum is terrifyingly short considering you have to go through security again at LHR, I fully expect to miss my upcoming connection that is 60mins (I had booked 120mins but BA have moved the flight).
And what will happen if you do? Will they accept responsibility?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
60 minutes for the AMS-LHR-MAN is certainly not " terrifyingly short". It is very likely the inbound AMS flight will go on to a T5A gate, and the MAN flight will definitely leave from a T5A gate.

The OP will have to go through immigration and security, INT-UK connections immigration is vastly better now there are 5 e-passport gates so I don't expect the OP to be held up there - there is also the option of going landside and up to check in level to go through security (I would suggest north fast track) but there is a longer path to conformance if that route is taken which may be relevant if the OP is getting close to 35 minutes before scheduled departure of the MAN flight.

Boarding for the MAN flight finishes around 10/15 minutes before departure.

And the worst case scenario? The OP misses it and gets automatically rebooked on a later LHR-MAN flight, since this is the last flight in the booking there aren't any subsequent flight issues to be concerned about.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
The minimum is terrifyingly short considering you have to go through security again at LHR
It really isn't you know. People do 60 minute connections through LHR Flight Connections every day without any problems. Yes, you have to pass security, but you only have to make conformance at T-35, i.e. scan your boarding pass at the entry to flight connections 35 mins before your next flight departs.

And what will happen if you do? Will they accept responsibility?
As long as you are booked on one ticket, yes. They will put you on the next available aircraft. If that is the following day, they'll pay for your hotel accommodation.

EDIT: Ah, I see KARFA has beaten me to it.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks all
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
MCT is nothing more than a carrier's willingness to accept the risk of a misconnect. That means rebooking, duty of care, and possibly compensation and a refund.

Whether a given connection is within SCT (Sensible Connection Time) is entirely personal and requires consideration of your personal circumstances and the significance to you of being on time.

But the BA-BA MCT for LHR is never less than 90 minutes, so Google Flights is entirely correct.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Often1
But the BA-BA MCT for LHR is never less than 90 minutes, so Google Flights is entirely correct.
BA-BA T5-T5 or T3-T3 is 60 minutes MCT. T5 -T3 and vice versa is 90 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.