Wiki Posts
Search

Discrepancy in redemption taxes?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Discrepancy in redemption taxes?

Hi

I am looking at a one-way redemption GIG-LHR. When I select a flight (off-peak), I get 19500 Avios + £20,59. If I click continue, that suddenly becomes 19500 Avios + £ 153.60. Where does that difference come from?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Thinksamuel
Hi

I am looking at a one-way redemption GIG-LHR. When I select a flight (off-peak), I get 19500 Avios + £20,59. If I click continue, that suddenly becomes 19500 Avios + £ 153.60. Where does that difference come from?
can you confirm class then we can check the taxes
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The difference is purely carrier surcharge which BA is adding on. It shouldn't be charged for an exBrazil booking - it isn't charged if you try booking an equivalent revenue flight. I can only suggest you call BA and point this out, you shouldn't be paying more than the £20.59.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

It's economy class on an off-peak date. If I make it a return journey, the same happens, to the point of which it becomes better to simply buy a cash ticket. So calling BA would give me the non-inflated price? I would be booking this for somebody else coming from Brazil. That is possible right? I ussually only book the shorthaul RWS redemption so longhaul is a new one for me.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
I had this issue with BA last year during the half price Y redemption sale. I never managed to get them to agree to a 'no carrier surcharge' redemption sadly, even via. the phone. It went fairly high up if I recall, and the law about carrier surcharges apparently only applies to 'cash' bookings.

FWIW; if you still have an Avios account it prices up correctly there... (you will loose the generous cancellation policy though). Alternatively; Iberia to Madrid then the 777 back could work?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:16 pm

I would be booking this for somebody else coming from Brazil. That is possible right?
Indeed it is possible. Just make sure you do not select the 'Cardholder is travelling on this booking' box. Nothing has appeared for a while but they may want to physically see the payment card at check in otherwise!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

On avios.com it prices right indeed. I still have my Avios.com account but I transferred my Avios to BAEC. I'll see if I can get them back to Avios.com. The baggage allowance ex-Brazil is still 2 pieces right?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:18 pm

Indeed. Ironically BA believe this ruling applies to all tickets.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
There are a number of threads somewhere discussing this very topic.

Essentially, in short, there should be no fuel charge/carrier charge on tickets from Brasil. Rather like the the Hong Kong set up. So sensible folk set up round trips between UK and Brasil as two one-ways, avoiding a significant part of the cash element BA (and other carriers) might add to a round-trip ticket.

Now here the fun starts. BA ignores the rules and puts a hefty carrier charge on redemptions from Brasil. It's unclear if this is BA venality, or the uncurable clunkiness of the airline's IT. But it's being going on for years - and if it is the reservation system that's at fault it's taking an awfully long time to fix - in the meantime, of course, BA rakes in the excess cash it is not entitled to.

One excuse offered was that Brasil tickets are issued in Mexico, but that simply does not wash.

If BA agents won't, or can't, play ball, then it seems the answer is to pay what is asked for, then request a refund of the carrier charge under threat of official complaint to ANAC, the Brasilian CAA. If the airline does not comply, then it faces censure and fines. This has so far been avoided because BA backs down and coughs up.

Lufthansa (and I think most if not all other carriers) accept the Brasilian regulations: Miles & More redemption tickets from Brasil attract a very low co-payment.

BA Fuel Surcharge EX Brazil

Is there a YQ to/from Brazil?

YQ From GRU to LON but NOT to MAD
craigthemif and TWCLAM like this.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Oct 6, 2018 at 8:46 pm Reason: adding the links
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
@IAN-UK - I think this comment demonstrates why everyone, okay not everyone but even I slipped in under the radar, should join FT if they fly a decent amount. Knowledge like this is, imho, invaluable.

Side note: ppl are welcome to use my own policy. I've upgraded three flights from (1)ET-CE (2)WT-CW. Using my most recent we missed out on reward upgrading by a couple days ( wont bore you with the details) so called them up. Understood the agent couldn't override the fee so asked for a manager and was told the change fee was payable and that was that. I explained it was simple, BA made £1700 and wrote off £60 of that or they didn't get the £1700. My policy is if im giving you more money you sure as s*** aren't going to charge me a fee for the pleasure of doing so & I dont give f*** what your policy is. I'm less prone to this sort of thing now i've learnt more about bookings etc from FT and educated myself but I will never change my own policy of not paying a( ny) company a service fee/ charge etc for them to get more of my hard earned money. I find BA call centre managers generally to be very company line orientated initially but with a reasoned explanation why it's basically wrong to charge people to take more money and add to profits they have thus far seen my way of things.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Essentially, in short, there should be no fuel charge/ carrier charge on tickets from Brasil. Rather like the the Hong Kong set up. So sensible folk set up round trips between UK and Brasil as two one-ways, avoiding a significant part of the cash element BA (and other carriers) might add to a round-trip ticket.
Not sure if I understand this correctly. You would set up a GIG-LHR one-way and a LHR-GIG oneway, that is what you mean right?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Not sure if I understand this correctly. You would set up a GIG-LHR one-way and a LHR-GIG oneway, that is what you mean right?
in your case that’s not really something that would help tbh as your booking originates in Brazil. It is more relevant if you are doing a UK to Brazil return booking or Uk-HK return booking as in those cases the booking originates from the UK and full carrier surcharge would be incurred for out and back flights.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Sorry, I got carried away by the woes of UK origin passengers.

You are in the much blessed position of starting your journey in Brasil, so your entire itinerary, booked on a single ticket, should be free of all carrier imposed charges. You pay only government imposed taxes/duties and the regular airport related fees.

ANAC is well aware of BA's guile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.