Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enough is enough - Bye bye BA - I'm out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by T8191
A ^ for Sprouts from here ... we use them a lot in PHX. But NOT exclusively.

Likewise here in JER. We have 2 major supermarkets, and the Waitrose branch just 150 yards away gets most of our custom. But not for everything, so we occasionally use the other major (Co-Op) for both bulk and specific items.

It's nice to have a choice, provided it meets the necessary parameters.
All I saw there was sprouts... it's not Christmas dinner time already? :-D
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by mtikky
All I saw there was sprouts... it's not Christmas dinner time already? :-D
No, it’s not !
Quite apart from being way OT ..... you’re around three months too early
mtikky likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Curiously, I was sufficiently impressed by Sprouts that I took some in-store photos!!

But ... I digress.
Attached Images   
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I made good use of the Qatar + promo recently, free night in Hilton (which was actually more like 7am-10pm) and an Uber each way was around £8

Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: None
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Service on BA is still on point
Well this is where I really do disagree. The main reason for trying a different airline was very poor lazy service on many recent flights - maybe we just got unlucky but it was enough to make us look elsewhere.

On our 4 QR sectors service was consistent and exemplary - again maybe we got lucky this time with this small sample.

A stark difference is the way dine-on-demand is presented. On every BA F flight (about 25) we have taken, we have never been asked when we would like to eat. The question is "Will you be dining with us this afternoon/evening?". On the one occasion I dared to dine later it was met with a "Well I suppose you can" attitude to make me feel like I was inconveniencing the crew.

On QR J - yes J class, not F - on all sectors when handing out the menus the crew actively point out that it is a dine-on-demand service and ask what time you would like to eat or just to give them 20-30 minutes when you're ready. And when you do eat it is served like BA F laid out restaurant style.

One silly example (of many) of BA annoying me... I asked for a JD & Diet Coke, but was presented will full fat Coke. Said "Er sorry, but I asked for Diet Coke", "No, you said Coke", "Oh sorry, didn't think I did, but can I have Diet Coke please". "Well I'll have to go and change it then" - Diet Coke arrived about 5 minutes later and was almost slammed on the table without a word. Now I don't really care what I asked for or what the crew member heard, I'm the customer and in a service environment I'm always right. I shouldn't have been the one apologizing - simply appalling service.
lhrpete and User Name like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Opinions about food and seats are subjective, though it does seem odd to prefer the BA CW seat over all over options, rather than just resign onself to putting up with it.

You are a little confused about the QR hotel options. There are currently two.
  • You will most likely get a free hotel stay with relevant meals and transport to and from the airport if the transit time is over eight hours, and if there is no other available flight combination with a connection time under the magic eight hours.
  • You can book any combination of flights, and if the connection time is over twelve hours the +Qatar programme kicks in. This will give you one free night, or you can select two nights accommodation for a total of $100: no transport given, and you pay your own meals. The offer is available only on either outward, or inbound travel: though if two of you are travelling each one of you can select +Qatar, covering accommodation in both directions.
its not odd at all, I don’t like having my feet in a confined space, it’s a perfectly reasonable preference and has been stated by others in here too.

as discussed upthread, I’ve already apologised for saying 12 hours when it is 8, not that the cut off is particularly relevant to the discussion itself.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by WeleaseBwian
I'm not suggesting everyone should fly QR. QR just happened to be airline we used to get to KUL. I don't intend to stay loyal to any airline - I'll be very promiscuous from now on, now that I know there is far far better out there than BA.
I suspect you’ll find out that many other airlines don’t match up to QR
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by MumbaiDan
Have to agree. BA has become uncompetitive if you compare equal with equal.
And they have no plan (and no need as they are always full) to change anything.
Don't see a contradiction here? An uncompetitive airline cannot have full planes, can it? Maybe other passengers simply base their decisions on other criteria, and BA's competitive edge lies elsewhere?

AF and LH are uncompetitive for me, I, however, do not post about it in their forums, predicting their forthcoming demise due to my unwillingness to fly them. I am sure neither airline cares about me and is in no rush to change to become competitive for me. They simply capture others who find them suitable for their needs. FT is full of posts about this being it for someone and how they will never set their foot on airline X. No airline should still be flying according to FT as they all suck for one reason or another. People have for years been ranting here about the things that simply escape other people's minds, refusing to accept that they are simply not the target audience for the airlines.

Originally Posted by rickg523
only it would be like if half my friends were deeply invested in some kind of loyalty program with the market, and would argue with me about how advantagous continuing to shop at that market is for them

But don't you think that the majority of passengers are not invested into any airline's loyalty programme? I don't have figures for BA, but did not AA report for 2017 or 2016 that close to 90% of its passengers are once in a year flyers? I doubt that those travelers obsess about the bed type in business class or whether or not they will receive a sandwich and a glass of wine in economy. This 'value' that some people obsess about is pure nonsense. The only value people get from airlines is getting to where they need to be at the right price at the right time. Hopefully no one flies to eat a sandwich. I think it's those who obsess about the seat type or the food have their expectations misplaced. Their interests and the interests of the majority of passengers are not aligned. So, maybe the 'idiots,' as the OP kindly referred to those who fly with BA, simply are not looking for what the experience seekers are looking for; and maybe, just maybe, they see value in transportation itself rather than what happens during the flight in terms of 'service.' Many people here only listen to themselves and refuse to listen to what other passengers actually want. I can only imagine how quickly, if they were made a CEO of an airline, they would run that airline into the ground if they disregard what their passengers tell them.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:09 am

I also occasionally ask myself "Why BA". As leisure pax we just scrape BAEC Gold annually, but as we always fly J I guess many of those benefits are available with the ticket, rather than the loyalty programme.

But then I look at our 'destinations of choice'. No, QR and many others don't serve them ... but BA does. And some are served by AA, of which we have also made good use. So, overall for us sticking with BA and/or crediting to BAEC makes sense. The 2-4-1 is nice too.

Yes, we would like to try some different airlines. But generally speaking they don't go where we want to go. And why throw away BAEC status benefits?

The bottom line is that it's a strong case of YMMV, according to where you want to go and in which cabin, and how often. If I could persuade the OH to go to KL, I'd use QR as well!

Completely agree. We tend to fly west so the ME3 are out. Following your previous comments , in other threads ,we would like to use AA more but BA. com often only provides options using BA metal. Do I have to phone to get AA metal with BA Flight numbers?

Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twincheeks

Completely agree. We tend to fly west so the ME3 are out. Following your previous comments , in other threads ,we would like to use AA more but BA. com often only provides options using BA metal. Do I have to phone to get AA metal with BA Flight numbers?

Cheers!

This may sound a bit brusque, but surely if you want to fly on AA you book on AA? Am I missing a nuance here?

Our AA travel has always started with an ex-DUB. OK, for us it’s another day of travel to get there from JER, and an overnight hotel to boot, but still economic sense (and with Pre-clearance at DUB as a bonus). Even getting to LHR bag-drop takes us about 4 hours from leaving the house!

Last edited by T8191; Oct 6, 2018 at 7:35 am Reason: clarity + accuracy
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
This may sound a bit brusque, but surely if you want to fly on AA you book on AA? Am I missing a nuance here?
More avios with Ba flight numbers?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by twincheeks

I’m not sure how your searching but the BA certainly provides routes using AA metal- for example this search from FRA to JFK those makes multiple airlines are BA to Lhr and AA to JFK

Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
More avios with Ba flight numbers?
Ah, I don’t really consider those, so didn’t factor that aspect. It’s the TPs that really matter!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navylad

I’m not sure how your searching but the BA certainly provides routes using AA metal- for example this search from FRA to JFK those makes multiple airlines are BA to Lhr and AA to JFK

Depends how cheap/easy it is to get to FRA, of course, and how the schedules fit together with, presumably, an unprotected connection at FRA. And there’s a night-stop to pay for at FRA in your example. Probably cheaper and easier to do ex-DUB for someone near LHR.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:55 am

Thanks for the comments. I was Avios driven, but I also assumed that TP’s were also different.

In regard to my searches these were also price sensitive, so BA May throw me onto their metal for that reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.