Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer to sit on the port or starboard side?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you prefer to sit on the port or starboard side?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If I'm travelling with Ms F then it's always 1F for me and 1D for her if possible, because 1C gets bumped a lot so putting her in 1C is not very pleasant for her. She prefers the aisle seat.

Otherwise it's whichever side has the best legroom and after that the side likely to have the best views which is the F side: into Heathrow - if you're approaching over central London onto 27L/27R the interesting bits are to the right, and if you're approaching LCY 09 you often go round the south of Westminster and bank over the Shard so you want to be on the downward, right, side of the aircraft for the best view). I'll take row 1 or the exit row window seat on the side with the worse views over another row on the side wth the better views.

Similarly the views from the F side are better out of LCY, very good views of central London and the Thames if you are heading east (eg to AMS) and take off on runway 27 then turn north and are held below the LHR traffic for a while, so you're sightseeing at 3500ft until you're out over Essex. Bad for the schedule and the fuel flow, good for the view
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Yes, one of the supposed origins of the word 'posh', referring to which side of a transatlantic ship one booked a cabin on when travelling from the UK to N. America. Intended to be on the sunny side of the ship.
Actually, it was England to India. And in any case it may well be an urban myth.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Starboard if forward facing, port if backward facing - a habit formed during several years of commuting that has stuck.

Eg: on SH this means I can work or eat in XD without my right arm / elbow bumping into trolleys or passersby in the aisle.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by navylad
I tend to sit 1F for outbound and 1A for inbound as I still love seeing the views of London when the Met allows and that has left me curious as to what others do and the reasons behind it?
I thought the standard route in to LHR was coming in from the north and then turning right over London, hence Starboard / 1F would be better?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Foltan
I thought the standard route in to LHR was coming in from the north and then turning right over London, hence Starboard / 1F would be better?
Yes - 1A will get you Wimbledon and Twickenham.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Always Starboard because I am blind in my right eye.

On the port side, some CC come up and look at me trying to get a reaction. However I can’t see them.

if I’m on Starboard then I do see them.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by BA6501
You can also tell by looking at whether the call buttons are lighted up or not on the Airbus
Learnt something new, however it now means I'll need a new excuse for picking D
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
The side always away from the sun ; so Port Eastbound and Starboard westbound
Like doing photography out the window !
Also like to see the city im going to on approach if possible or significant landmarks so have to weigh up!
Also means if not on sunny side dont have to put those pesky blinds down!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I thought it was supposed to be the shady side on the trips to India? I think that all of the myth-debunking articles I've ever read referred to that being the supposed route.
Yup that was my understanding too (ie shady, in afternoons when it's hottest, which would imply a North>>South routing I believe)
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
It really depends on where you are coming from and the time of day (due to the noise abatement runway shift)
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It really depends on where you are coming from and the time of day (due to the noise abatement runway shift)
IME, subject to cloud/weather conditions you get a decent view of central London from the starboard side whether you're approaching 27L or 27R, so which runway is in use doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 8:15 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Globaliser
IME, subject to cloud/weather conditions you get a decent view of central London from the starboard side whether you're approaching 27L or 27R, so which runway is in use doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

These Google Maps captures show the extended centrelines of 27L and 27R respectively:-
Thanks, I meant more when approaching 09L or 09R from the east, when you often go a north london route to get west of the runway., obviously not as great a view as you get going to either of the 27L or 27R

ifnyour routing to 09L/R from a Westerly Direction (or generally north or south) you get views of Windsor Castle on the port side.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 1, 2019 at 6:45 am Reason: Image removed at original author's request
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Portside Out, Starboard Home

Just kidding, it really depends on the route, time of day and whether during check in I find someone sitting next to me whilst a pair of seats on the other side is empty.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
I tend to go for starboard for no particular rhyme or reason I’ve ever closely considered. I suppose there’s something in the fact that I tend to pick the most forward aisle seat and seats will tend to fill front-to-back and left-to-right meaning it’s usually a “D” (or “H” or thereabouts on a wide body) seat that’s free.

The one exception to this is CW seats which I first flew on this year. On the starboard side, the arm rest & dividing wall is on the right, which I found a little restrictive on my dominant arm for using the screen, having a drink etc. On the port side, with the dividing wall to the left, I found it more comfortable/natural having my less dominant arm against the armrest and my right free.
navylad likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Thanks, I meant more when approaching 09L or 09R from the east, when you often go a north london route to get west of the runway., obviously not as great a view as you get going to either of the 27L or 27R
Rather depends on where you're coming from (and therefore which of the four holds you'll likely be exiting out of before lining up on final).

I do the bulk of my SH journeys to Spain (both for work and quite often leisure) so it's an approach from South Westerly direction, Ockham hold, and then usually approach into either 27R or 09L. But neither of these involve the transit across N London.

The 27 L/R approach does however involve flying over my house in sunny SW London. if landing 27L, I'll likely fly pretty much right overhead, whereas, for 27R I'll be a bit further North (and therefore if that were my only window criterion, then that would favour port side all other things being equal).
navylad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.